Disappointed at the BLM marches being allowed

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Redneck

Re: Disappointed at the BLM marches being allowed

Post by Redneck » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:45 pm

Redneck wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:42 pm
My initial reaction was Abos just jumping on the bandwagon after the USA demonstrations and this is true to a degree, but after listening to the discussions on todays ABC Insiders I guess I can understand that this was a once in a lifetime opportunity to raise the issue in relation to the treatment of Australian Aboriginal a lot that were raised in the 1987 Royal Commission and whos recommendations were never acted upon , and things have only got worse since then , deaths in custody, aboriginies per head of population in prison, mistreatment by police etc. I guess some both black and white people saw it as too important an issue that they participated in the demonstrations regardless of the health risks!
bump

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:49 pm

cods wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 am
I think the march should been allowed to go on

why give them a permit in the first place.???

to knock it back was a disaster as it brings out even more agitators...they dont need much to stir them up..

the whole thing has been highjacked anyway...the ratbags cause trouble...lucky us nothing like whats happening in AMERIKA
but it brings out the worst in people..and as per usual the Police cop it....

as for corvid.... they are allowing footy crowds back race tracks are being opened to the public.... :roll: :roll:

I dont see much difference to be honest....

lets stop being petty...
I think the NRL is being trialled in very restricted audience numbers, a few hundreds.
Under strict conditions.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Juliar

Post by Juliar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:26 am

It is the evil Greenies who are trying to exploit the situation as they have been trying to stir up the Aboriginies for years into a Black Power Movement here in Australia to cause huge disruption to the white Society here controlled by old white men.

Crime is a way of life for the poor Indigenous and they squeal when they are caught.

The Indigenous think they are some sort of super race even though they are primitives who invaded Australia and they think any white property is fair game to steal.

Because the Indigenous have NO WRITTEN history they freely lie and fabricate stories abut any cave or whatever as it suits them.

The Indigenous have always done as little as possible and lived off the land.

Nothing much has changed as now they still do as little as possible and live off the white fella's WELFARE.

How many of them even bothered to march as it would have been too much effort.

cods

Post by cods » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:37 am

sprintcyclist wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:49 pm
cods wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 am
I think the march should been allowed to go on

why give them a permit in the first place.???

to knock it back was a disaster as it brings out even more agitators...they dont need much to stir them up..

the whole thing has been highjacked anyway...the ratbags cause trouble...lucky us nothing like whats happening in AMERIKA
but it brings out the worst in people..and as per usual the Police cop it....

as for corvid.... they are allowing footy crowds back race tracks are being opened to the public.... :roll: :roll:

I dont see much difference to be honest....

lets stop being petty...
I think the NRL is being trialled in very restricted audience numbers, a few hundreds.
Under strict conditions.

the march would not have been attended by so many had they not cancelled it.....the protesters in London were all w earing masks..
the few hundred at EACH FOOTBALL MATCH.. will still have to arrive at the grounds...a lot by public transport they will still have to use public amenities toilets etc.

Juliar

Post by Juliar » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:42 am

Around 60,000 protesters marched in the BLM march around Australia.
24,940,000 did not.
That makes 99.75% of the population who stayed away.
The organizers would like to thank all those who made the march such an overwhelming success.

I would like to thank the 99.75% for doing the smart thing during these times of COVID19 restrictions and would like to know from the 0.25% who did attend at great risk to public health just where was this attitude on ANZAC Day?

Surely if you go to this much effort to stand in solidarity with a man who was on meth and robbed a pregnant woman by holding a gun to her belly surely you could have mustered up that effort for our most sacred day.

Aboriginal Kombumerri man, Anthony Dillon, writes a very thoughtful piece.

He calls the local BLM marches, "...the antics of activists, social justice warriors, and their rent-a-crowds (which) only move Australia backwards...."

He also says, "...These professional protesters are latching onto the Aboriginal deaths in custody issue to enable them to justify their confected outrage and go out marching with their protest signs that say: 'Black lives matter'.

For them, an Aboriginal death in custody is proof positive of racism.
For Aboriginal deaths in custody, let's provide some context here.
Aboriginal Australians in custody are less likely to die than non-Aboriginal Australians in custody.

An Australian Government publication, The Health of Australia's Prisoners: 2015, states: "Indigenous Australians were no more likely to die in custody than non-Indigenous Australians" and "With just over one-quarter (27 per cent) of prisoners in custody being Indigenous, and 17 per cent of deaths in custody being Indigenous, Indigenous prisoners were under-represented."

You can read more of Mr Dillon's truth and common sense here:

Indigenous academic: Aussie protesters just a ‘rent-a-crowd’
by Anthony Dillon 6th Jun 2020 3:06 PM

A young protester confronts police in Martin Place in Sydney this week at a rally about Aboriginal deaths in custody.

So much has been said this past week in response to the shocking death of a Minnesota man and the hands of a dumb police officer.

All can agree, that this (former) officer's actions, and that of his colleagues who stood by and watched him, are atrocious.
Sadly, the fallout from this act of stupidity has had a flow on effect in Australia.
Some activists reading that last sentence will reply with "Oh but it's important, it's solidarity …"
No, it's just an excuse to protest for the sake of protesting.

I am all for people fighting for a cause they feel strongly about and taking to the streets if they feel that is the best way to deliver, what they believe, is an important message.

But what we are seeing now is ridiculous. If this was just a comedy show I would be laughing. But the antics of activists, social justice warriors, and their rent-a-crowds only move Australia backwards.

These professional protesters are latching onto the Aboriginal deaths in custody issue to enable them to justify their confected outrage and go out marching with their protest signs that say: 'Black lives matter'.

For them, an Aboriginal death in custody is proof positive of racism.

For Aboriginal deaths in custody, let's provide some context here.

Aboriginal Australians in custody are less likely to die than non-Aboriginal Australians in custody.

An Australian Government publication, The Health of Australia's Prisoners: 2015, states: "Indigenous Australians were no more likely to die in custody than non-Indigenous Australians" and "With just over one-quarter (27 per cent) of prisoners in custody being Indigenous, and 17 per cent of deaths in custody being Indigenous, Indigenous prisoners were under-represented."

Dr Anthony Dillon.

The 'outrage' from protesters for deaths in custody is about as authentic as Australia Day protests.

I and others have been asking for a long time: "Where is the outrage regarding the high rates of violence and child abuse in Aboriginal communities?"

In early May there was a report of a young Aboriginal woman (mother of two) found dead in a wheelie bin.

On the WAtoday webpage it was reported "a Martu elder stood in the boy's place to receive a punishment dealt out according to customary law"-the boy referred to is the person charged with the woman's murder. Where was the outrage?

I could give plenty more examples of hypocrisy but won't.

I want to talk about why tension exists between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Australians, because by understanding the cause, we can find a solution.

Most Aboriginal people are either partnered up with a non-Aboriginal person or the product of the union between an Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal person.

It seems that we generally get along with one another. Of course, there are exceptions, as there are with the mixing of any groups or races.

Those exceptions can range from simple disagreements to acts that are outright vicious and fatal.

But here's the problem, as humans we have quirky ways of thinking and analysing the world around us.

The exceptions I just referred to can be used to create a belief that simply is not true. Contrary to common opinion, psychologists tell us that people do not make observations and then draw conclusions, rather, they select theories that are consistent with their personal values, attitudes, and prejudices (often hidden from consciousness) and then go out into the world to make observations to validate their theories.

Observations not consistent with a pre-existing belief are discarded while confirmatory ones are clung to tightly.

Applied here for the person who believes Aboriginal people are the victims of endless racism, a death in custody or an altercation with a white police officer is seen as evidence of racism. Or even witnessing a true case of racism, it will be used to validate one's personal belief that Australia is a racist country towards Aboriginal Australians.

Of course, non-Aboriginal people are just as capable of distorting their views of Aboriginal people, but I don't believe it happens to the same degree as it does with Aboriginal people having distorted views of non-Aboriginal people.

There have been stories in the media describing atrocious acts of violence where an Aboriginal person kills a non-Aboriginal person, and not once have I heard of any movement or any individual that as a result of these atrocious acts, promotes the lie that Aboriginal people are a danger to non-Aboriginal people.

More succinctly, Goethe said "people find what they look for, and they look for what they believe." Maybe it's time we band together and start looking for the good in each other? There are no winners with the race riots and protests.

https://m.tweeddailynews.com.au/news/au ... yCpsGaQdoI

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:04 am

If they bring about a second wave my only hope is that it's confined to those protesting and they don't spread it to their grandparents and the elderly in their communities.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Everyone I spoke to today is disappointed at the protest during a pandemic when we have all sacrificed our freedom for months.

Many businesses have been destroyed due to the govt regulation.
and these people want to risk it all to protest about a guy in america.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:27 pm

The worldwide protest marches were a farce....
We have all sacrificed a lot to overcome the pandemic...people have lost their jobs..
Some may never get them back....people have suffered...
The marches show just how low parts of humanity have stooped.....
And the sad part is nothing will be achieved as worldwide poverty etc etc will continue
tomorrow just like it did yesterday......
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Health authorities are waiting to see if Saturday’s Black Lives Matter protests across the nation have undermined the containment of COVID-19 in Australia.

Just a handful of new cases were reported on the weekend, but it will be nearly a fortnight before it is known if there are any spikes in cases as a result of the rallies where social distancing was almost impossible.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Paul Kelly says while he can understand why people joined the protests, health authorities now have to be extra alert.

“We don’t know if anyone in those mass gatherings were infected or infectious, and so it is a wait-and-see approach,” Professor Kelly told reporters in Canberra on Sunday.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 2824c994b1

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:54 pm

Imagine the irony if it gets into the ABoriginal community.