Slow death of the MD

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Jovial Monk

Slow death of the MD

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:08 am

Global warming has majorly changed rainfall patterns in SE Australia, that is clear and definite, obvious! So, are we going to sit by and see 40% of our agricultural production--not to mention Adelaide--die?

Moving agriculture to the North is stupid on any large scale (climate, soils all wrong.) So we need to act to save the MD basin. How?

Queensland gets plenty of water: more water has gone over the Burdekin River dam in two weeks than will flow into the MD in a year! Hmmm so there is water somewhere, too bloody much water as Qld farmers counting cost of drowned stock, spoiled crops and fodder, fences washed away, their homes and outbuildings damaged by floods etc etc will tell you.

So, the obvious question: can Qld flood water be diverted economically into the MD basin? Officials, like the head of the MD basin authority say no, pumping would cost too much (ABC SA Local Radio today.) Well, we can't afford to lose the MD! So, a proper look at this is essential. Much else can be done while the scheme is considered and preliminary work is done.

Apparently in NSW the use of long unlined, open channels used to carry irrigation water for very long distances is common! These could be replaced by pipelines! Still many illegal irrigators diverting water. More water trading would see more efficient use of what water is available. But, long term, weather pattern shifts are drying up the basin.

If you look into this you will come across a scheme called the Bradfield Scheme. This aimed to stop flood waters reaching the Channel Country and flooding. Bradfield was the guy that designed the Sydney Harbor Bridge and saw his scheme as reducing floods and providing water for Qld irrigators. Someone put a comment on George Megalogenis' blog in the OO:
The Burdekin to Warrego Water Transfer Project has been designed and costed, this is just one project that could reinvigorate the inland and the benefits for the Murray Darling System, agricultural expansion, associated service industries, export opportunities and tax receipts is obvious!

Apart from the Ord Scheme this nation has been bereft of large scale projects for way too long...we have to invest to ensure prosperity for future generations.
The Cooper river and its two tributaries carry a lot of water from Qld and dump it into Lake Eyre to evaporate: if more water could be diverted into the upper reaches of this basin and then have water from this diverted into the MD than the whole basin would be reinvigorated!

We are in a recession, this sort of largescale public works is exactly what is needed!

To power the water pumping (if pumping is needed) one of the really new nuclear reactors could be built: these produce bugger all waste and can't blow up, the also produce more fuel as thorium. Also, the hot rocks project nearby could be expanded and that used to power whatever pumping is needed!

The radio is full of the MD Basin Authority saying It cannot guarantee water for vital human consumption!

The time for debate on Global Warming is over. It exists and is 95% likely to be caused by anthropogenic greenhouse gases released by stupid us! SE Australia is the first to be affected (as is Qld) so:

what the fuck are we going to do about it?

Auzgurl

Re: Slow death of the MD

Post by Auzgurl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:39 am

So much angst monk..not good for your bp.

The trouble with the whole MD problem is "beaurcraticfuckuopism" as usual..so things are coming along swimmingly wouldnt you say? PTP. :oops:

But I get your frustration very much so. They have to do things differently considering ,but that would take innovation and lateral thinking wouldnt it...a big ask.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 am

The SA govt is apparently surveying ground water resources, incl fossilwater (i.e. water that will not be replaced.)

There is also an aquifer under the SE of SA that is recharged in the Grampians. Lots of drainage canals in the SE as anyone who has travelled to Mt Gambier & Coonawarra etc knows. Agricultural practices could be changed so this water could also be used--lots of resistance to this.

Personally, I will get a third rainwater tank of 10KL capacity to tap 2/3 of the front roof the water falling on which is presently not harvested. Will put gutters and another tank on the garage.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 am

Auzgurl wrote:So much angst monk..not good for your bp.

The trouble with the whole MD problem is "beaurcraticfuckuopism" as usual..so things are coming along swimmingly wouldnt you say? PTP. :oops:

But I get your frustration very much so. They have to do things differently considering ,but that would take innovation and lateral thinking wouldnt it...a big ask.
Not angst, facing up to reality!

Yeah, still too much states against each other. There is so much that could be done that isn't! Maybe Kev should have a referendum at the next election to give the C/w undisputed sole management power over the MD. Amelioration can take us forward a bit but another source of water IS needed as GW dries out SE of Oz.

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 am

The SA govt is apparently surveying ground water resources, incl fossilwater (i.e. water that will not be replaced.)
The pace at which Govts do things is the problem. So I hold out no hope for a result being acted upon inside 10 years. I'm sorry I know not a lot about our water basin, but it seems you do.

Harvesting water at home is such a great idea..and most out this way have rainwater tanks. The guy next to me has a about 5 huge plastic tanks and many pple here are doing the same. I have one large tank. I try to conserve water in many ways..reusing and recycling etc. I mulch heavily ( when I'm brave enought to tackle a garden etc).

Water recycling is the way to go. But do not use dish water more than once and the same goes for bathwater. :mrgreen:

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Yes. Lots can be done. Takes political courage so don't expect much.

In Salisbury council here in Adelaide theuy created a wetlands above an aquifer. The water soaks in in winter and they pump it out and sell it in summer. The Bolivar sewerage plant outflow is piped to the Virginnia-Angle Vale market gardens. Apparently Mclaren Vale wine area also uses recycled water.

But storm water just flows out to sea, a resource that could be tapped! Desal plants are expensive but are a source of water independent of weather & climate.

The days of treated effluent water being allowed to run out to sea are pretty much over. Days of harvesting stormwater should be nearly here!

Can we make it rain? Cloud seeding doesn't really work. Where there is a huge area of native vegetation next to agricultural land the native area has cloud cover wile the agricultural land doesn't--a forestry policy that encourages planting of native trees in semi-tropical areas (say at head MD) could ensure more rainwater will enter the MD.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:44 pm

There is much that could be done with grey water, don't understand why this is not compulsory with new houses here and heavily subsidised for existing houses. Instead you get "Oh no, can't use shower water, may have fecal particles in it" note the may.

Fuck that attitude! There are greywater systems but not in SA it seems. Here we are, at the bottom of the dying MD, not enough local sources of water, and we flush our fucking toilets with good potable drinking water! Fucking stupid! Sack some public servants get some that are not lazy chairwarmers and give them a brief to solve the problem!

Gee, not rocket science!

skippy

Post by skippy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:00 pm

Everything you say is right monk, most people have no idea how much water they waste, I didn't, until I had to live on tank water. Grey water needs to be used for all loos, everywhere, its easy, but the govs come up with all these expensive desal plants and dont bother addressing the basics, if all houses had a tank for outdoor use, toilets and washing machines there wouldn't be such a water crisis in cities on the east coast, but as far as the murry darling is concerned, no idea, so much gets wasted up north we need a major rethink on how this could be pumped to where it's needed.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Yeah, and good old Turdbull, as Environment Minister in the Rodent's govt gave $10m to a bunch of crooks flogging a failed Russian rainmaking machine. Didn't ever produce any rain, of course, but the Roosterman got a nice big donation from the rainmaking scammers!

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Yeah, I have a garden, heavily mulched and watered mainly by hand with rainwater. I use the two hour on Saturday irrigation we can do with weepyhoses and a timer. Organic gardening with compost really builds up the soil water holding capacity. Will dig some vales to use water that overflows the rainwater tanks: a deep ditch lined with gravel that holds the water and makes it available to tree roots. A lot can be done, most people just waste water!