First home owner's grant boost

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!

Should the FHOG Boost be extended and increased as suggested above?

Poll ended at Sat May 09, 2009 8:38 am

Yes, extended after June
No votes
Yes, extended after June and increased to cover newly built homes for any home buyer
17%
No, not extended nor increased to cover newly built homes for any new buyer
17%
No not extended, but a new one introduced for newly built home buyers.
50%
Other - what?
17%

Total votes: 6

Ethnic

Re: First home owner's grant boost

Post by Ethnic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:51 pm

Jovial Monk wrote:". . .house prices have gone up in some areas. . ." yup in the $400K and under category there is still buying and selling of homes, my realter mates tell me over $800K is pretty dead.
So in Adelaide does that mean that there is more demand in areas like Seaton, Parafield Gardens and Noarlunga than there is in St Peters, Norwood and Springfield?

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:54 pm

Yup.

Ethnic

Post by Ethnic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Awesome, maybe I should look for a house in West Lakes :mrgreen:

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:40 am

Apparently nice houses are available in Flagstaff Hill/Aberfoyle Park area.

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:27 am

You may wish to post your views here:
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2551064.htm

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 am

I have already bought my first home, the grant must be repealed to service economic dignity.

A new grant should be established for people who are thinking of buying a second, investment home.

People like me.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:03 am

Jovial Monk wrote:The FHOG for newly built homes has kept a lot of builders in work and meant that property prices have come down in an orderly, measured fashion...
Wah?

Making it more affordable for people to get into the housing market for the first time, by giving the seller an extra, free 20K brings prices down? :lol:

Basically what the govt is doing with the FHOG is artificially increasing the demand for new houses. In a free market, that means an increase in price, not a decrease.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:07 am

You are forgetting we are in a pretty deep, global recession. Prices are still coming down.

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:40 am

Leftofcentresalterego on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 am

what the government is doing with the FHOG is artificially increasing the demand for new houses

Precisely - at a time when demand is slumping. Most unlikely to boost the price. Of course the FHOG did inflate prices under the ratty and tip government because demand was booming at the time. In my little resource town, a significant portion of the workforce - well paid resource workers many of them - have just lost their jobs and have no means to continue paying their mortgages. The place will soon be awash with available housing while job opportunities continue to evaporate, and so too local mortgage lending opportunities.

There is bugger all for local builders to do.

The FHOG has it's limitations in times such as these of course, because all it can do is give people a deposit - it can't actually create credit-worthy customers for the banks to extend credit to. Putting $21 grand in the pocket of someone who is employed in an industry that is currently shedding labour isn't going to make them less of a credit risk. If the government intends to phase it out it is probably because they have decided that it is near the limit of it's usefullness and they will re-direct the spending elsewhere. Direct job creation would be a good start!
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:50 am

Our debt renders our economy unsustainable so we must ply more debt via tax liabilities to future generations to make our economy sustainable?

Purple print money dish washer.