Different car manufacturers and their attributes

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
sprintcyclist

Different car manufacturers and their attributes

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:26 pm

Throw in your opinions, mine may differ.

Toyota - Their petrol engines are very good, reliable, efficient. Their diesels are questionable.
The Automatics they use are good, generally Aisin brand.

Overall, great cars, a bit behind the 'curve' in technology. Good for NVH and the real world running.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Texan

Re: Different car manufacturers and their attributes

Post by Texan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:36 pm

Toyota's mission is dependability. They lag on technology because they make sure it's dependable first. We are supposed to get our first Toyota diesels next year. I bet they will have the bugs worked out.

Jeep has upped their game on their Wranglers and Gladiators. They build them ready to be customized from the factory. They sell aftermarket suspension lifts, offer several types of transfer cases, and their gear ratios and exact tire size can be programmed in to calibrate the speedometer and set the shift points on the transmission. Their info screens are on par with Range Rover. We are looking to get Mrs Texan a Gladiator soon. The aftermarket upgrades available are amazing. We won't leave it stock for long.

The Jeep culture is nice also. Jeepers wave at each other like motorcyclists do. Jeep clubs coordinate to do off road trips, parades, and charity events. They help each other work on their Jeeps. I've missed that since I sold my last Jeep.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:52 am

Do some research on Toyota diesels first. They have lost favour here.
Check cost of replacing the injectors or fuel pumps, servicing of injectors, DPF problems.
Diesels are suited to few drivers.

I did not know that about Jeep culture. Very good.

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:14 am

sprintcyclist wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:52 am
Do some research on Toyota diesels first. They have lost favour here.
Check cost of replacing the injectors or fuel pumps, servicing of injectors, DPF problems.
Diesels are suited to few drivers.

I did not know that about Jeep culture. Very good.
I'm not in the market for a Toyota, but I do like their current Tundra with the 5.7L V8. That engine is old, but it is powerful and consistently one of the most reliable engines on the market.

We are thinking "Sarge Green", but this is what we are looking for. The doors and top remove just like the Jeep Wrangler and they offer the same 4wd systems and options.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:46 pm

My Ford just keeps on going as did others I have had so I'm happy.

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:46 pm
A paid for vehicle is the best kind. All of our vehicles now have at least 180k km(180Mm?) on the clock. We are planning some cross country trips to see my granddaughter soon, so we need to either rent a car for the trips or upgrade

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Texan wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
A paid for vehicle is the best kind. All of our vehicles now have at least 180k km(180Mm?) on the clock. We are planning some cross country trips to see my granddaughter soon, so we need to either rent a car for the trips or upgrade
' ............ A paid for vehicle is the best kind ........... ' - yes.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:24 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm
Texan wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
' ............ A paid for vehicle is the best kind ........... ' - yes.

My camrys got 278,000 kms on it.
It'ld be fine for a trip around Aussie.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:52 pm

This has the ring of truth to it
............. Not many new high output low cubic inch turbo diesel motors reach more than 300,000 with out serious $ issues but there will always be exceptions ( service and driver atitude). We cant expect miles like the old n/asperated landcruiser and patrol engines that are never stressed and just keep ploding along using more juice . Most turbos will need to be replaced at around 250,oook or some times a lot sooner . Small Turbo Engines with non direct injection with precombuston chambers often need head work around the 250,000 mark too.

Mate i would say if you look after your car there is no risk of expensive repairs after waranty . most cars are great for the first 10 years AND YES they can be reliable after 250000kms if money is spent on service and repaires as required. many high milage 4x4 have been taken to very remote places in Australia as the owners are less reluctant to take newer vehicles there and dent them or damage them when newer. you always have more fun with a older 4x4 unless you have a lot of money. ................

https://forum.australia4wd.com/index.ph ... 250-000km/

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:13 pm