Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Texan

Re: Climate Change

Post by Texan » Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm

Redneck wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:32 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 pm
The thing with Chinese made goods is that they don't last and because they don't last we have to buy them again and again which, of course, compounds the the problem and the pollution.
I think planned obsolescence is practiced by lots of companies from all countries, be it cars, printers, washing machines, mobile phones, you name it.

It is just a practice used to maintain their business growth.

Funny though I finally invested in a new fridge after having what was a great two door Maytag fridge for many years, but finally it repeatedly iced up the frost free freezer, parts werent available for another problem etc.

Wife insisted it had to have an ice maker as she adds ice cubes to her wine each night. ( So BO she is the piss pot not me :rofl )

Anyway we bought a Mitsubishi which has that, and seems to have lots of electronics in its control, digital panel to select various things, alarms if any of the doors are left open too long. It made me realise the old Maytag while brilliant in its day was old technology by todays standards.
That's not the half of it. Some fridges have smart LCD displays like a TV, are connected to the internet, you can use it as an online remote camera, and hackers use appliances like these to hack into your wifi if you aren't careful. I'm thinking I'll stick to as simple a fridge as possible. Less to break as well.

I'm wanting a simple and efficient refrigerator/freezer and a separate ice machine in the garage, next to the shop sink. We can use it to pack ice chests as well as our drinks. Texas gets hot in the Summer and I like plenty of ice.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Fri May 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Texan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm
Redneck wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:
The thing with Chinese made goods is that they don't last and because they don't last we have to buy them again and again which, of course, compounds the the problem and the pollution.
I think planned obsolescence is practiced by lots of companies from all countries, be it cars, printers, washing machines, mobile phones, you name it.

Funny though I finally invested in a new fridge after having what was a great two door Maytag fridge for many years, but finally it repeatedly iced up the frost free freezer, parts werent available for another problem etc.

Wife insisted it had to have an ice maker as she adds ice cubes to her wine each night. ( So BO she is the piss pot not me :rofl )

Anyway we bought a Mitsubishi which has that, and seems to have lots of electronics in its control, digital panel to select various things, alarms if any of the doors are left open too long. It made me realise the old Maytag while brilliant in its day was old technology by todays standards.
That's not the half of it. Some fridges have smart LCD displays like a TV, are connected to the internet, you can use it as an online remote camera, and hackers use appliances like these to hack into your wifi if you aren't careful. I'm thinking I'll stick to as simple a fridge as possible. Less to break as well.

I'm wanting a simple and efficient refrigerator/freezer and a separate ice machine in the garage, next to the shop sink. We can use it to pack ice chests as well as our drinks. Texas gets hot in the Summer and I like plenty of ice.
Gets hot here too mate in summer, lots of 40deg plus (104F + ) days last summer even in Canberra (located in the ACT ie southern part of NSW) funnily is regarded by most as being a cold place because of close proximity to the Snowy Mountains.

Actually I think our household is a bit OOT with fridges and freezers, apart from out main fridge I mentioned, we have a large freezer in the laundry and a small bar fridge in our lounge room, I do wonder about the electricity usage of having the three.

Texan

Post by Texan » Fri May 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Redneck wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:22 pm
Texan wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 pm
Redneck wrote:
Black Orchid wrote:

Gets hot here too mate in summer, lots of 40deg plus (104F + ) days last summer even in Canberra (located in the ACT ie southern part of NSW) funnily is regarded by most as being a cold place because of close proximity to the Snowy Mountains.

Actually I think our household is a bit OOT with fridges and freezers, apart from out main fridge I mentioned, we have a large freezer in the laundry and a small bar fridge in our lounge room, I do wonder about the electricity usage of having the three.
I've always compared Australia to Texas. Similar populations, diverse climates, lots of wildlife, beautiful women.....

We have a fridge in the house and another in the garage. We had an upright freezer, but it died. I'd like another chest freezer.