Huge freshwater aquifer found

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Black Orchid

Huge freshwater aquifer found

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Scientists investigating off the coast of New Jersey have made a stunning discovery — enough freshwater to fill 1 billion swimming pools buried underneath the ocean.

It’s believed to be the biggest known undersea freshwater aquifer on Earth.

A study published by nature reveals the huge aquifer contains at least 2,800 cubic km of mostly freshwater.

The team believes groundwater contained within continental shelves is a global phenomenon.

That could have implications across the world as population growth surges.

The UN estimates there will be 9.7 billion people living on Earth by 2050.

Countries including India are already suffering major shortages — with Chennai already running dry.

At least 21 cities in India are expected to run out of groundwater by 2020, with 100 million people to be affected.

Researchers from Columbia University and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution made the find while surveying the ocean floor off the northeast coast of the US.

The researchers measured electromagnetic waves to map the water, which remained invisible to other technologies.

“We knew there was freshwater down there in isolated places, but we did not know the extent or geometry,” lead author Chloe Gustafson said, a PhD candidate at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

“It could turn out to be an important resource in other parts of the world.”

It’s believed the water in the aquifer is from ice that melted after the last ice age 15,000 to 20,000 years ago.

It was then trapped in rock

It’s possible the aquifer is also being fed by run-off from the land.

The aquifer spans at least 350 km of the US Atlantic coast.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 6fe630c62c

Amazing find but how long before we stuff that up too? What the world really needs is a massive decline in population. Especially in third world countries.

Texan

Re: Huge freshwater aquifer found

Post by Texan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:40 pm

I think it will happen in my lifetime and it won't be pretty.

We are blessed with great water under the US. Most of the US can put in a well and provide their own water if needed. In many places, you only need to go a few feet down to get it.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:18 pm
Scientists investigating off the coast of New Jersey have made a stunning discovery — enough freshwater to fill 1 billion swimming pools buried underneath the ocean.

It’s believed to be the biggest known undersea freshwater aquifer on Earth.

A study published by nature reveals the huge aquifer contains at least 2,800 cubic km of mostly freshwater.

The team believes groundwater contained within continental shelves is a global phenomenon.

That could have implications across the world as population growth surges.

The UN estimates there will be 9.7 billion people living on Earth by 2050.

Countries including India are already suffering major shortages — with Chennai already running dry.

At least 21 cities in India are expected to run out of groundwater by 2020, with 100 million people to be affected.

Researchers from Columbia University and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution made the find while surveying the ocean floor off the northeast coast of the US.

The researchers measured electromagnetic waves to map the water, which remained invisible to other technologies.

“We knew there was freshwater down there in isolated places, but we did not know the extent or geometry,” lead author Chloe Gustafson said, a PhD candidate at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.

“It could turn out to be an important resource in other parts of the world.”

It’s believed the water in the aquifer is from ice that melted after the last ice age 15,000 to 20,000 years ago.

It was then trapped in rock

It’s possible the aquifer is also being fed by run-off from the land.

The aquifer spans at least 350 km of the US Atlantic coast.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... 6fe630c62c

Amazing find but how long before we stuff that up too? What the world really needs is a massive decline in population. Especially in third world countries.

' ....... What the world really needs is a massive decline in population. Especially in third world countries. .........'

yes
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:58 pm

Texan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:40 pm

We are blessed with great water under the US. Most of the US can put in a well and provide their own water if needed. In many places, you only need to go a few feet down to get it.
We have great water under our eastern seaboard too. An American friend of my parents was out here many years ago for a spell and he did a lot of research on our underground water and he told me that I should start a company and bottle it. I was young and carefree back then and just fobbed it off. I had no interest in bottling water.

Oh how I wish now that I had listened to him and acted.

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:22 pm

Running out of water is mother earths way of telling you enough is enough!!

Leftwits are always banging on about too much pollution etc but as soon as you mention Stopping population growth, closing your borders to illegals or cutting back immigration they go bananas 🍌

If you want to cut back pollution you must decrease your population...

Its not rocket surgery 🚀 ...
Beware the Fury of a Patient Man Q WWG1WGA ▄︻╦デ╤一

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:14 pm

Alternatively, you could build cleaner industries, Mechie. Industries that pollute do not belong anywhere. :roll:
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Texan wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:40 pm

Exactly. I know several people in the US who get their water that way.

Texan

Post by Texan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm

brian ross wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:14 pm
Alternatively, you could build cleaner industries, Mechie. Industries that pollute do not belong anywhere. :roll:
When you have all that excess population, you have to dictate their pollution habits. That doesn’t leave any room for freedom. Must not be important to you.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 pm

Texan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm
brian ross wrote:
When you have all that excess population, you have to dictate their pollution habits. That doesn’t leave any room for freedom. Must not be important to you.
No one should have freedom to pollute their fellow peoples' water/air/food/etc. Tex. That is just evil.

Tell us, please what happens when fracking occurs? What happens to the ground water then? :roll:
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Texan

Post by Texan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:07 am

brian ross wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 pm
Texan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:09 pm
brian ross wrote:
No one should have freedom to pollute their fellow peoples' water/air/food/etc. Tex. That is just evil.

Tell us, please what happens when fracking occurs? What happens to the ground water then? :roll:
Take care of yourself and limit immigration. Your resources are limited and you can’t control the other 8 billion people. Don’t have kids you can’t support and don’t invite them to your continent. Many parts of the world squander their resources and overpopulate their land. You can’t bail them out and you can’t control them. They will have to learn on their own. You can show them the way and help by teaching or sending aid, but you can’t save them directly.

Fracking has made America energy independent and my water tastes fine. OPEC no longer leads us by the nose. As RE flourishes oil production will diminish.