the true cost of electric cars they dont want us

Self evident. Any special interest matter can be raised here, including current affairs which might not suit either of the Politics Forums.
Valkie

the true cost of electric cars they dont want us

Post by Valkie » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 pm

TO KNOW ABOUT.
THIS is information, not made known, but, well worth considering when thinking about future transportation,
there ARE very viable simple alternatives

Aust: I heard a guy on the radio who knew what he was talking about (he owns an electric). He said to charge a battery at home takes as much power as two air conditioners.

This originated in USA but is applicable to Australia.

As an engineer, I love the electric vehicle technology.
However, I have been troubled for a long time by the fact that the electrical energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure.
Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited.
A friend sent me the following that says it very well.
You should all take a look at this short article.

INTERESTING - ONE OTHER QUESTION: IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!

In case you were thinking of buying a hybrid or an electric car:
Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of those things has never been discussed.
All you have ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it .
This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to
Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats.
Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.

At a neighborhood BBQ, I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive.
I asked him how that renewable thing was doing.
He laughed, then got serious.
If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities.
For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp services.
The average house is equipped with 100 amp service.
On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each.
For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.
This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles.
Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load.
So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead-end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following.
Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway. It's enlightening.
Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine ."
Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.
So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh batteries is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph.
Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.
In a typical road trip, your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kWh of electricity.
It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned , so I looked up what I pay for electricity.
I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kWh.
16 kWh x $1.16 per kWh = $18.56 to charge the battery .
$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles =$0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg.
$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile .

The gasoline-powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus.
So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.
We already pay way to much for our power.
and with theidots running the place doing away with power stations and not having any alternatives.

We may as well give in and buy horses.

The australian gruberment.
criminals. crooks and morons.
I have a dream
A world free from the plague of Islam
A world that has never known the horrors of the cult of death.
My hope is that in time, Islam will be nothing but a bad dream

Texan

Re: the true cost of electric cars they dont want us

Post by Texan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:34 am

I pay 7.9 cents/kwh and the typical US home has a 200A service at 220VAC. The grid can handle a slow charge and for a considerable cost you can install a high speed charger. Many businesses have high speed chargers at work on their industrial 3 phase circuits. They can charge your car for less than $3. Solar at home will lower some distribution requirements but Australia does seem to need an improved infrastructure to support electric cars.

You are right about electric cars avoiding road taxes. That means new taxes. Bend over. That's why I have avoided electrics. That and I drive a lot of long trips.

The4thEstate

Post by The4thEstate » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 am

The irony of "green" electric cars is that in the U.S., about 64 percent of all electricity is generated from fossil fuels -- including roughly 35 percent from natural gas and 28 percent from coal.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

So electric car owners may think they're saving the planet from fossil fuels, but nearly two-thirds of the time they're burning fossil fuels anyway when they recharge.

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:38 am

In America a driver can charge their car whilst they go in to get a big Mac...not fully, but the point
Im making is that the charging facilities are everywhere....
Can you imagine our incompetent grubberment even attempting to create an infrastructure
throughout Australia which could actually handle the plethora of electric motor vehicles....gimme a break....
They take two fkn years to build a roundabout......two years...…
I piss myself laughing when I see or hear discussion about electric cars in Australia..
Do people know how far it is from town to town in Australia....
In some places if you drive for an hour, you wont see another car, another human being...let alone
a recharging facility...
And people talk about recharging their cars overnite from solar panels on their rooves...
Are they serious...read the OP...it doesn't work...
Can you imagine the delay at a recharging facility down town as people line up...
The line would extend into the next suburb....send me a postcard mate.....
The exorbitant petrol tax we pay now would be replaced by an exorbitant travel tax based
on the number of kilometres we travel...
Due to the sheer incompetence of politicians in this country, I wouldn't be surprised to see
us all riding pushbikes to work one day.....that's if there are any jobs around......
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Juliar

Post by Juliar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Toyota hybrids solve the unsolveable electric conundrum.

They have all the advantages of electric recharge on slowing down and braking as well as the convenience of very cheap petrol running.

Electric cars have high tire wear due to the very high traction at start off.

Texan

Post by Texan » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Juliar wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:51 pm
Toyota hybrids solve the unsolveable electric conundrum.

They have all the advantages of electric recharge on slowing down and braking as well as the convenience of very cheap petrol running.

Electric cars have high tire wear due to the very high traction at start off.
Toyota makes a good dependable vehicle, but their complicated transmission system ruins it for me. Why can't they simply make an electric car with a .5L or smaller generator that turns on when needed? You could manually turn off the generator for short trips and charge cheaper at home or work. It's called a series hybrid. Its cheaper to build and easier to work on. I think all of these car manufacturers want you to depend on them for service.