At the Movies...

Discuss Movies, TV, Music and general entertainment here
brian ross

Re: At the Movies...

Post by brian ross » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Just back from seeing "The First Man" the story of Neil Armstrong. Very interesting movie. Brought back a lot of memories. Lots of "shaky camera" to show what riding first an X-15, then a Gemini and finally an Apollo and a Lunar module was like. Made me wonder why they did, particularly after the Gemini 8 mission and the problems associated with it. Claire Foy was excellent as Mrs. Armstrong. The stress she and her husband must have been under must be incredible. Well worth seeing!
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

BigP

Post by BigP » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:40 pm

brian ross wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:08 pm
Just back from seeing "The First Man" the story of Neil Armstrong. Very interesting movie. Brought back a lot of memories. Lots of "shaky camera" to show what riding first an X-15, then a Gemini and finally an Apollo and a Lunar module was like. Made me wonder why they did, particularly after the Gemini 8 mission and the problems associated with it. Claire Foy was excellent as Mrs. Armstrong. The stress she and her husband must have been under must be incredible. Well worth seeing!

If they had made this movie whilst Neil was still alive. they would have had to plant the flag .. :thumb

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:06 pm

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Saw Spitfire this arvo. Interesting documentary. They interviewed surviving pilots as well as loads of air-to-air footage both contemporary and from the War. Of course they had the female ATA pilots as well. Some very interesting Spitfires still flying. One, a Mk.II which fought in the Battle of Britain. Another, a Mk.IX, which one of the female pilots had flown in 1944 - which she had signed on a whim, in the cockpit, which was still visible today. She was shown the Spitfire again and she signed it again! Narrated by Charles Dance, his voice was well suited to that role. Well worth seeing.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:04 pm

6.5/10

Ok so the special effect are brilliant.
But the story is not as good as the original.

Don't worry only 3 more to go... some are bound to be not as good as others.

Oh and those who have seen the first one will have to try and un-remember some things about the first to accept this storyline. :roll:
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Just saw Bohemian Rhapsody. Not as bad as I feared. I felt it did a bit more than "just touched" on Freddy Mercury's homosexuality, which is what the critics attempted to imply. The music was well done and the acting credible. The teeth only got in the way, earlier in the movie. Well worth seeing.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:13 pm

If anything, some say, Freddie Mercury was bisexual, long before that became such a commonly discussed thing. "I don't think even he was fully cognizant in the beginning," guitarist Brian May once told the Daily Express. "You're talking to someone who shared rooms with Fred on the first couple of tours, so I knew him pretty well. I knew a lot of his girlfriends, and he certainly didn't have boyfriends in those days, that's for sure. I think there was a slight suspicion but it never occurred to me that he was gay."
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:22 pm

The Grand Budapest Hotel. An interesting and rather quirky story by Wes Anderson with numerous cameo appearances from various actors in character parts. My wife has been on me for some time to watch this so we settled down in front of the TV last night and watched a DVD of it. Quirky is one way to describe it but it was interesting enough and funny enough to watch until the end. Well worth seeing.

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Just saw this today:

The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 pm

I watched Aquaman last night and Deadwood (the movie) the night before. Both ok but nothing fantastic although watching Jason Momoa on screen is certainly not painful. Hubba hubba!

Tonight it's either Captain Marvel or John Wick 3.