Architecture Thread

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
FLEKTARN

Architecture Thread

Post by FLEKTARN » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Talk, photos, videos, everything about architecture. Feel free to post anything on your soul.

Ellips Center, Sofia, Bulgaria

The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

brian ross

Re: Architecture Thread

Post by brian ross » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:56 pm

Without a doubt, IMO, one of the most beautiful buildings in the world would be the Taj Mahal

I saw it when I visited India. I saw it during the day and by moonlight and sunrise. Absolutely fantastic IMO.
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:30 pm

I was looking for some examples to post of some of the most impressive buildings in Sydney and came across this. Sorry to say I find this crumpled paper bag building absolutely hideous.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:33 pm

St Marys Cathedral, Sydney

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Sydney Opera House

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:36 pm

Queen Victoria Building, Sydney

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Antoni Gaudí designed some fabulous buildings in Barcelona. Well worth a visit.

Cathedral of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Valkie

Post by Valkie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:44 pm

brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:56 pm
Without a doubt, IMO, one of the most beautiful buildings in the world would be the Taj Mahal

I saw it when I visited India. I saw it during the day and by moonlight and sunrise. Absolutely fantastic IMO.
And yet they once again let it go to ruin, because they are too lazy or too stupid to maintain it properly.
NEW DELHI: Describing as a "hopeless cause" the protection of the Taj Mahal, the Supreme Court today tore into the central and Uttar Pradesh governments for what it called their "lethargy" and said: "Either we will shut down the Taj or you demolish or restore it."
The Supreme Court was hearing a petition that calls for proper maintenance of the Taj, a 16th century marble mausoleum that draws thousands of tourists from India and abroad each year and is a must-see on the itinerary of most dignitaries.

The Taj "is more beautiful than the Eiffel Tower" and could have solved the country's foreign exchange problem, the judges noted.

While making their point, the judges likened the famed monument in Paris, a tourist favourite, to a "TV tower".

"Eighty million go to watch Eiffel Tower which looks like a TV Tower. Our Taj is more beautiful. If you had looked after it your foreign exchange problem would have been solved," said the judges.

Only one monument, they said, could have solved the problem of the country. "Do you realise the loss cost to the country due to your apathy? There are so many monuments..."

The court expressed anguish over the UP government's failure to come out with a vision document to preserve and protect the Taj and also asked for details on what the centre has done.

Also, the chairman of the Taj Trapezium Zone (TTZ) was to explain the violation of the court's ban on the expansion of industrial units in the zone.

The Supreme Court had earlier this year blamed the Archeological Survey of India for its failure to take appropriate steps to protect and preserve the iconic monument built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in the memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal.

In May, the court had noted that the monument had become yellowish earlier and was now brown and green because of pollution.

19 COMMENTS
The judges today said the case would be heard on a day-to-day basis from July 31.
I have a dream
A world free from the plague of Islam
A world that has never known the horrors of the cult of death.
My hope is that in time, Islam will be nothing but a bad dream

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 pm

Andorra la Vella, Andorra

The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Completed in 2017, McSteen Tan Architects have created the Hawthorn 1 home. Coming in at 358 sq m, the project was a renovation and extension of an existing Victorian brick house, originally made in the 1890s. The family was aiming to keep the original space in tact while expanding it for their expanding family. They also wanted to keep enough of their garden to allow for family-based activities.

https://hypebeast.com/2018/9/hawthorn-1 ... architects