Investing thoughts

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
sprintcyclist

Investing thoughts

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:12 pm

Jesse Livermore Quote 27:

“One of the most helpful things that anybody can learn is to give up trying to catch the last eighth – or the first. These two are the most expensive eighths in the world. They have cost stock traders, in the aggregate, enough millions of dollars to build a concrete highway across the continent.”

Jesse Livermore Quote 28:

“Men who can both be right and sit tight are uncommon. I found it one of the hardest things to learn. But it is only after a stock operator has firmly grasped this that he can make big money.”

Jesse Livermore Quote 14:

“Instead of hoping he must fear and instead of fearing he must hope. He must fear that his loss may develop into a much bigger loss, and hope that his profit may become a big profit.”

Jesse Livermore Quote 15:

“The desire for constant action irrespective of underlying conditions is responsible for many losses on Wall Street even among the professionals, who feel that they must take home some money every day, as though they were working for regular wages.”

Jesse Livermore Quote 16:

“Remember this: When you are doing nothing, those speculators who feel they must trade day in and day out, are laying the foundation for your next venture. You will reap benefits from their mistakes.”

Jesse Livermore Quote 2:

“After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!”

Jesse Livermore Quote 15:

“The desire for constant action irrespective of underlying conditions is responsible for many losses on Wall Street even among the professionals, who feel that they must take home some money every day, as though they were working for regular wages.”
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

sprintcyclist

Re: Investing thoughts

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 pm

“Rule #1: Don’t lose money. Rule #2: Don’t forget Rule #1.” – Warren Buffett

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Where Are the Customers' Yachts? Or a Good Hard Look at Wall Street Paperback – 22 Dec 2005
by Fred Schwed

Is a good read

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Are you thinking about RETIREMENT Sprint?

Best years of your life if you organise it right!

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:05 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:17 pm

yes, i am.
thanks for the thought

we have looked into it for a few years, it''s very complex.
As it is, I like my job. Would prefer a 4 day week or the like

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:11 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:05 pm
Neferti~ wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:17 pm

yes, i am.
thanks for the thought

we have looked into it for a few years, it''s very complex.
As it is, I like my job. Would prefer a 4 day week or the like
Get a hobby NOW before you retire .... regardless of what it might be ... golf, wood turning, art, oil painting, gardening, rock climbing, cake making, bird watching .... whatever. There is only so much "travelling" you can do, so you need to look at the day-to-day stuff. You can also "volunteer" at a community service if you like to do that sort of thing - driving people to their Drs appointments and so forth ... I think you would get a petrol allowance of some sort, you would need to check your local Council about that stuff.

Anyway, Sprint. While your health might be excellent now ... who knows what tomorrow brings, right?

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:50 pm

thanks neferti

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 am

Neferti - I play bridge and have asked a few retired people there about retirement.
Your thoughts are what they say. Bridge is excellent for retirees. Well, good for almost anyone.

We could probably retire now, it seems like a huge leap to me
I like 'doing' things. If I were to stop working and do nothing that would be bad for me.
At this stage, I enjoy work but feel I am tiring from it.
Yes, by the time we have had a good hollie we look forward to our place again.
One idea is to buy a converted coaster to drive around Aussie in. Rent our house out at a very low price to the right people.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:04 am

sprintcyclist wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 am
Neferti - I play bridge and have asked a few retired people there about retirement.
Your thoughts are what they say. Bridge is excellent for retirees. Well, good for almost anyone.

We could probably retire now, it seems like a huge leap to me
I like 'doing' things. If I were to stop working and do nothing that would be bad for me.
At this stage, I enjoy work but feel I am tiring from it.
Yes, by the time we have had a good hollie we look forward to our place again.
One idea is to buy a converted coaster to drive around Aussie in. Rent our house out at a very low price to the right people.
I know a few people who played Bridge several nights a week when they first retired. Keeps the mind active I guess but not something I would be bothered with.

Also know several people who drove around Australia ... took them 3 months or so. One chap I know had his SUV set up with WiFi and sent me pictures and emails. Not sure what they did with their house, maybe the neighbours kept an eye on it?

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 am

Bridge is very good for me, but I don't want to do it all the time.
Touring Aussie is appealing. Apparently after a year or so it wanes.

One guy I met he had retired then returned to work. When asked why He said ' there are only so many weeds you can pull and so many games of golf you can play.'
Another guy I know is very rich, he retired for 3 months, then returned to work. He said he was amazed how rapidly his physical and mental 'strength' declined.

One guy said you need a few different hobbies.
So all this is in agreement with what you say.