Bushfires

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Hebe

Bushfires

Post by Hebe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:59 pm

I wasn’t sure where to put this, but I just wanted to say that regardless (or irregardless, hahaha :lol: ) of your politics or what you believe or where you are, I hope everyone is safe from the bushfires here in Australia, in the US, or anywhere else.

Please all take care.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

Texan

Re: Bushfires

Post by Texan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:25 pm

I don't get down under news as much as most of you get American news. Are you having brush fires there?

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Most of Eastern Australia is suffering a very, very, bad drought, Tex. With drought comes bushfires - roughly equivalent to a forest fire in the US. Eucalypts propagate through fire so they are well adapted to burn. As Eucalypts are the primary tress species in Australia, it means we often have very, very, very bad bushfires. Over the last 30 years, as we have doubled our population that has meant we have moved into areas which knew only sparse population coupled with greater ignorance about how to build houses and clear trees from 'round the house and so our bushfires lately have resulted in much greater loss of life compared to previously.

"Brushfires" are much smaller in scale.
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Texan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:25 pm
I don't get down under news as much as most of you get American news. Are you having brush fires there?
Oh god yes. Three bad ones in Tasmania. The smoke has hidden the mountain and we (on the other side of the river) have to close our windows so we don’t breathe it. :cry:

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 pm

This was our very worst one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Tasmanian_fires

“The 1967 Tasmanian fires were an Australian natural disaster which occurred on 7 February 1967, an event which came to be known as the Black Tuesday bushfires. They were the most deadly bushfires that Tasmania has ever experienced, leaving 62 people dead, 900 injured and over seven thousand homeless.[1][2][3]”

God, that’s awful to read again. I remember the day well, though I was in the north of the state. There was ash blowing through the air. My father, who was in the CMF, helped fight it.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 pm

One of the worst fires raging on the mid north coast of NSW at the moment is home to one of the last dwindling Koala colonies. They are suffering enough from development causing loss of habitat and fragmentation without this and it is more than likely that some idiot lit the fire to begin with.

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:51 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 pm
One of the worst fires raging on the mid north coast of NSW at the moment is home to one of the last dwindling Koala colonies. They are suffering enough from development causing loss of habitat and fragmentation without this and it is more than likely that some idiot lit the fire to begin with.

I hate those bastards. Should be gaoled for life. :x

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:21 pm

It's feared hundreds of koalas have been burned alive by an out-of-control bushfire in northern NSW that's raged unchecked for days in the heartland of their prime habitat.

The blaze, reportedly caused by a lightning strike near Port Macquarie, has burned more than 2000 hectares, including an important koala breeding ground.

Port Macquarie Koala Hospital president Sue Ashton told AAP the loss was a "tragedy".

"The beauty of this particular population is that it's so genetically diverse that it's of national significance," she said.

"A lot of the koalas are being mixed and cross-bred now ... so to lose a large part of that population is very devastating."

Ms Ashton said while the hospital's trained rescuers would be unable to search for any surviving koalas until Thursday or Friday, she feared the worst as koalas were "terrible" at coping in a bushfire scenario.

"What generally happens in a fire is the koala climbs right up to the top of the tree and curls into a little ball," she said.

"So often the flames will just go over the top and singe the outside, but with really intense fires it can burn them alive."

Ms Ashton said even if koalas safely avoid a blaze, they can burn their paws and claws while climbing down from smouldering trees, which can leave them unable to climb properly again.

The hospital, which can house up to 40 koalas, has rallied more than 150 volunteers to deal with the expected influx of injured animals.

Although not officially listed as endangered, the koala population is threatened by urbanisation and habitat destruction.
https://7news.com.au/news/environment/s ... e-c-530100

I agree, Hebe, and I hope they are right in that this one may not have been deliberately lit. Time will tell and Sydney is shrouded in smoke hundreds of kilometres away.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm

5 people dead in NSW and over 150 homes lost. Still haven't heard anything about the Koalas around Lake Cathie.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 pm

NSW North Coast from space.