Next car

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
sprintcyclist

Next car

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun May 24, 2020 4:21 pm

Have been researching the 2nd hand car market for a while.
I have a 12 year old Camry with 260,000 kms on it. It is running well, regularly serviced so easily another decade in it. :)
No rush there, nice to drive, worth very little to sell anyway.

Am looking at a CX5 or RAV. Both in a 2.5 liter and 6 speed auto.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Texan

Re: Next car

Post by Texan » Mon May 25, 2020 5:16 am

You can't go wrong with either. Toyota has always been rock solid and Mazda has greatly improved their vehicles over the last decade. The Mazda with a manual transmission gets very good fuel efficiency. I had a Mazda CX-9 and sold it to a friend about 6 years ago. They are still driving it and loving it. My son traded our Toyota 4Runner in after 320k km. It was running fine, but he is stationed away from home and has no family to depend on, so he traded for a newer GMC Sierra with the 5.3L V8. It had less than 20k km. It's a good utility truck and it will be almost paid for when he gets back from Korea.

We love our trucks in Texas (utes). Mrs. Texan drives a Ford F150 super crew and all 3 of my boys have pick up trucks. I drive a Ram Promaster cargo van. It's a company vehicle and the company logo is plastered all over it. I don't care for it, but it will haul 4000 lbs and I don't have to pay for fuel or insurance. I love that part of it.

I've always wanted to find a 2010-2012 Mercedes E350, preferably with the 3.0l diesel engine.

Valkie

Post by Valkie » Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 am

Unless you have a real need to get another car, stick with the one you have.

New cars, second hand new cars as well, come with issues,
Some minor, some more serious.
Firstly, you are paying a lot of money for something that you already have.
Then, you have this fear of everyone else damaging it, car parks are notorious for it.
You will get sweet stuff all for your old car, such less than its worth in fact.

I just recently purchased a 1999 Toyota echo.
It has more dings in it than a teenagers face.
But it's mechanically in pretty good shape, and has only 245000 Km on the clock.
I bought it so I wouldn't wear out the new 4x4 warranty before I started towing my caravan.

Anyhoo.
This little bomb is great.
Cars park well away from it in car parks.
You don't care if you nearly have a minor bump, because chances are that it will make little difference to it's looks.
And for the first time in years, I can tool around with it without having to worry about warranty issues.
Parts are cheap, any wreckers for a song.
Picked up a new MAF sensor on Sunday for 5 bucks, fixed the rough idle straight away.

When you go looking for a new car, should you decide to do so.
Take off the rose coloured glasses.
Go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Every single little thing needs to be pointed out to the salesman to help you knock off a few more dollars.
Remember, at the moment it's a buyers market.

You will get no more than $2000.00 max for your old car.
And they will be difficult to budge on price of the new one.
But hit them hard and be willing to walk away, there are plenty more out there.

Now, the cars.
Mazda have this annoying little issue.
Every time you stop, the engine stops.
This is supposed to save th environment, but it's bloody annoying.
It starts up as soon as you take your foot off the brake or touch the accelerator........while it's new and happy.
But what happens when it gets on a bit?
You can turn it off after you have started it, but doing this every single time is a pain.

Toyota's are generally indestructible, but not as good as they used to be.
With their name now well established, they are starting to go CHEAP on fitout.
Look closely at the build quality, some of the later models are nowhere as good as the later models.
When the little missus wanted a new car, she had her eyes set on a new Yaris, just like the daughter's 10 year old Yaris.
But when she took the new one for a drive, she was very disappointed.
We ended up going for a Suzuki, better build quality.

Steer well clear of anything Mitsubishi, the cheaper models are unmitigated crap.
The same with Ford and Holden. You will never be happy with these things.
European cars are all nice and fancy, but come with fancy price tags and expensive services.
The wife's little Suzuki costs around $200.00 A service, not bad.
The 4x4 can cost me up to $1400.00 depending which service and a low cost one is around $700.00.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY.
Don't second guess after you have bought it.
It's always exciting to buy a new car, but the gloss wears off after a few years and it's JUST ANOTHER CAR.
I have a dream
A world free from the plague of Islam
A world that has never known the horrors of the cult of death.
My hope is that in time, Islam will be nothing but a bad dream

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:04 am

On the engine stops, you should be able to go into the options menu in the display and deselect it. I rented a new Ford with that and deselected it in the menu.

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:49 pm

Have a look at Honday HR-V

And

CR-V

Nice cars and nice price too!
Beware the Fury of a Patient Man Q WWG1WGA ▄︻╦デ╤一