The Grey Nomad goal.

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Re: The Grey Nomad goal.

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:27 am

Well a woman's vote does count just as much as a man's vote! :smack

As for the rest I tend to agree.

Texan

Post by Texan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:13 am

I've only met 3 women who have done my job. One was pretty sharp, but she hurt herself trying to do the physical part of the job and left the industry. The other 2 are newer hires and are prior military. I haven't seen them in a couple of years or heard how they are holding up. They work on the East coast. Because there are very few women in my industry, I've never heard of female management. I don't have anything against it, but experience in the field is a must.

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:25 am

In Australia, the legislation provides that if a company has over a certain number of employees, then
management must consist of at least 50% women.
Also, in Australia, due to diversification recruitment policy, the best applicant doesn't always get the job.
Applicants are categorized into say ten categories.
Then if there are ten vacancies, then the best applicant from each category gets the gig.
This is how the workplace has been screwed over the years.
Male Police resign in droves because women are "walked through" weak qualification systems
just to get them in.
We even have situations where women are in command of Australian navy vessels and naval bases.... FFS.
Go into any retail outlet, or bank, or anywhere in Australia...telephone a Bank or government
department and all you get is women....
We must have gender equality...don't worry about talent or ability....just ensure equality......
I retired several years ago.
I would never ever work for a woman...
Never.....
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Texan

Post by Texan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm

billy the kid wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:25 am
In Australia, the legislation provides that if a company has over a certain number of employees, then
Also, in Australia, due to diversification recruitment policy, the best applicant doesn't always get the job.
Then if there are ten vacancies, then the best applicant from each category gets the gig.
Male Police resign in droves because women are "walked through" weak qualification systems
just to get them in.
We even have situations where women are in command of Australian navy vessels and naval bases.... FFS.
Go into any retail outlet, or bank, or anywhere in Australia...telephone a Bank or government
We must have gender equality...don't worry about talent or ability....just ensure equality......
Never.....
That's insane. I can't imagine having a boss who doesn't know what I do for a living. If she knows my job I have no problem with a woman boss, but I've only known one woman with more than a couple of years experience. She was smart, but she had a huge chip on her shoulder and it got her into trouble more than once with customers. I don't think she would be management material. We do have a lot of women in HR, account management, dispatch, sourcing, etc...... and in management in those areas. I work in the service department and everything is secondary to service because that is what we sell and field engineers like me are the only face customers typically see from my company.

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Texan wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 pm
billy the kid wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:25 am
just to get them in.
Never.....
That's insane. I can't imagine having a boss who doesn't know what I do for a living. If she knows my job I have no problem with a woman boss, but I've only known one woman with more than a couple of years experience. She was smart, but she had a huge chip on her shoulder and it got her into trouble more than once with customers. I don't think she would be management material. We do have a lot of women in HR, account management, dispatch, sourcing, etc...... and in management in those areas. I work in the service department and everything is secondary to service because that is what we sell and field engineers like me are the only face customers typically see from my company.
:thumb
Oh dont get me wrong..you can still get a male plumber in Australia to unplug your toilet drain....
That'll probably be a thousand to one before long....
Cant have men getting all the jobs....
They should be at home doing the housework and cooking dinner...... :rofl
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire

Texan

Post by Texan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:27 pm

I'd gladly stay home and cook and clean if Mrs Texan would pay the bills.

Having women do my job wouldn't be possible without hiring Male labor to do the lifting. On days when we replace batteries, we have to lift 100 lb batteries into and out of cabinets all day. Not many women can do that. I know a lot of men with back injuries. You can use a mechanical lift, but it quadruples the time needed to do the job. We travel on a moment's notice, sometimes all over the world. Dozens of times I've been woke up in the middle of the night and told to catch the first flight in the morning to Chicago or Atlanta to fix broken equipment with millions of dollars at risk. I can't do my job without having someone take care of my family. I made it to 90% of my kid's baseball games and band concerts, but I couldn't do my job without Mrs Texan. Women can't do my job without having a husband supporting them at home.

Valkie

Post by Valkie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:48 am
Sounds like an awful lot of women in managerial roles you have there.
Not really, no more than one woukd expect in normal industry
The two in senior management are very good.
Thorough, tough when needed and good at their jobs.

I have worked with several female managers over the years.
Some have been good, some bad.
Much the same as male managers.

But I do feel tgat in some roles, women tend to be more harshly judged than men.

I remember one manager.
She had engineering qualifications, but no real experience.
But she knew her limitations and when experience was called for she called upon the experienced for advisement.
She was respected and liked by all that worked with her.
But she was also tough, never take her on unless you knew you were right, or she woukd easily prove you wrong.

Didn't mind getting down and dirty either.
One machine had a continual issue no one could work out.
So she got involved in the disassembly, ending up covered in grease and coal dust.

Sorry to say, she couldn't find the fault either.
But she called in an old diesel mechanic and in a few days he found the problem.
An intermittent electrical fault causing an intermittent injector coil fault.

What I cannot abide though
Is an unqualified, inexperienced, unjustifiably narcissistic moron telling me how to do my job.
Male or female, makes no difference to me.
I have a dream
A world free from the plague of Islam
A world that has never known the horrors of the cult of death.
My hope is that in time, Islam will be nothing but a bad dream

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:54 am

What I cant abide is the incessant blatant promotion of women simply because
of the supposed need for equality.
Its is blatantly obvious and has been for decades...

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:48 am

Valkie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 am

I remember one manager.
She had engineering qualifications, but no real experience.
But she knew her limitations and when experience was called for she called upon the experienced for advisement.
She was respected and liked by all that worked with her.
But she was also tough, never take her on unless you knew you were right, or she woukd easily prove you wrong.

Didn't mind getting down and dirty either.
One machine had a continual issue no one could work out.
So she got involved in the disassembly, ending up covered in grease and coal dust.

Sorry to say, she couldn't find the fault either.
But she called in an old diesel mechanic and in a few days he found the problem.
An intermittent electrical fault causing an intermittent injector coil fault.
This lady reminds me of my mother. She worked as a secretary at my local school system. She was secretary for the Assistant Superintendent of the entire school system of about 50 or more schools. She typed 120 wpm on a mechanical typewriter and took incredible dictation. As church secretary, 2 men were arguing over discretionary spending at the church business meeting. One man denied saying something wrong during the argument. My mom stopped them and read back what he said and proved him wrong in front of everybody. I started enjoying those business meeting after that. Everybody watched their mouths after that because they knew they were being "recorded".

Mom saw that her boss was about to retire and she found out that she was going to be the secretary to the manager of Construction Services to handle all of the planning and construction of new school campuses and optimization of existing campuses. She went back to college to get a relevant degree. She studied geo information systems at Dallas Baptist University. My brother and I tutored her for her math and software type classes when we could. Her degree specialized in gathering global positioning satellite information and cross referencing that data with tax information and local resources. Nobody realized that for decades, she had already been handling construction contracts, taxes, and payroll for my father's construction company at home. She was a perfect storm. She became so good at her boss's job that her boss pretty much let her run everything and made her assistant manager of construction services. This is for the school system of a population of 150k people. Her boss admitted at her retirement reception that he made a huge mistake by not retiring before she did. When Mom left, the school system had to contract out many of the duties she performed and it cost the school system $500k/year for 3 years until they could find the right people to replace her. Mom is not super intelligent, but she studies and works like a pitbull and is honest and very wise. You won't find a finer woman anywhere.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 pm

My parents have been grey nomads for a few years now. They piss off up north every winter. They love it. Go for it fellas!!