Packing {sigh}

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Jovial Monk

Packing {sigh}

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Getting ready for selling Mum’s house and moving to Tasmania I am started with packing books, antiques etc. Empty yhe bookcases in the lounge and I can sell them.

Was going to take this nice jar that Mum had bought decades ago but. . .

IMG_2733.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Redneck

Re: Packing {sigh}

Post by Redneck » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 pm

Jovial Monk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:51 pm
Getting ready for selling Mum’s house and moving to Tasmania I am started with packing books, antiques etc. Empty yhe bookcases in the lounge and I can sell them.

Was going to take this nice jar that Mum had bought decades ago but. . .

IMG_2733.JPG
Yeah that is nice!

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 pm

But there is a problem with it, will cost $$ to fix.

I paid $180 for this bit of glass, anyone guess what it is? (Not that it is a vase, I mean idea idea where/when it was made?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:13 pm

The wavy edge is a clue. This is an English piece of glass from the same period:

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:14 pm

I bought the above for a birthday present for Mum many many years ago. Guess it is mine now.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm

Anybody should be able to tell what artistic Period this came from!

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:05 pm

Not everything needs to be old, handpainted and fantastically rare. This plate has a couple chips but who cares? It is fun!

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:16 pm

Pottery from one of two Dutch cities famous for their pottery, Gouda. Anybody know the name of the other citie?

It is pottery, earthenware, not porcelain or bone china. Handpainted, of course, which is what gives value ot decorative ceramic pieces.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:37 pm

The lid of the jar in post 1 had been polished so often hardly any silver is left on the lid, you see mainly the nickle that was underneath—don’t overpolish silver, especially silver plate like EPNS.

The vase in post #2 is Boston glass from about 1880—Victorian period. Same with the other item. Note the gold leaf decoration on the Boston glass.

The bright orange is from the Art Deco period which loved acid colors. The people and trees etc—typical art deco.

The other Dutch city famous for earthenware is Delft.

Geez, ignorance rules here!

J o h n S m i t h

Post by J o h n S m i t h » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:49 pm

Jovial Monk wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 pm
anyone guess what it is?
An ugly vase from a second hand shop?