Re: US Takes Back Signature on Arms Trade Treaty

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 am

brian ross wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 am
Texan wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:26 pm
brian ross wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:23 pm
You do realise you're talking to American gun nuts, don't you, Black Orchid. They have, well shall we say, a rather biased view of anything to do with gun control measures. In reality, the UN Treaty had nothing to do with private firearms ownership, it was primarily aimed at the trade in firearms.

Will the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty infringe on our right to keep and bear arms?

Trump has effectively kyboshed the idea that firearms should not be traded between nations. He has effectively ended the US only firearms trade in the US which the treaty promised. Now, wasn't Trump originally for the promotion of US industries? He's now removed the most effective barrier to the trade of European firearms within the US Market. I wonder if the US firearms makers will be thanking him in two years time? :roll:
I like my Austrian guns. My wife's Brazillian Bersa is her favorite. It's a tack driver. She named it Raul Mateo. We got into the habit of naming our carry guns so that my children when younger wouldn't ask where my gun was in public. "Where is Carrie?" Sounds better when you are standing at a restaurant cash register. I named my Kimber "Emma". She is my current EDC.

The UN has no businesses having any authority over my country. It's a slippery slope that I don't intend to go down. Especially since we are paying 22% of their budget.
The UN has no authority over anyone, Tex. Countries agree to a Treaty or a Convention and then ratify it and pass it into law. The UN doesn't control countries, it is the other way 'round. The problem is, many countries focus on the parts of the UN which makes decisions they don't like, which have no power over them, rather than where the real power resides in the UN - the Security Council. People assume that the UN is one organisation, all with one purpose. In reality it is one organisation, made up of multiple parts all with different purposes. :roll:
We never ratified the treaty because it would be political suicide to support this idiocy. 2016 alone should tell you that. Trump is changing the political landscape and RINOs had better get on board or they will be left behind. Americans are supporting anybody who goes against the status quo. The vast majority of America wants secure borders, a strong military, and government doing what they were designed to do instead of effecting social change.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 am

Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 am
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
You do realise you're talking to American gun nuts, don't you, Black Orchid. They have, well shall we say, a rather biased view of anything to do with gun control measures. In reality, the UN Treaty had nothing to do with private firearms ownership, it was primarily aimed at the trade in firearms.

Trump has effectively kyboshed the idea that firearms should not be traded between nations. He has effectively ended the US only firearms trade in the US which the treaty promised. Now, wasn't Trump originally for the promotion of US industries? He's now removed the most effective barrier to the trade of European firearms within the US Market. I wonder if the US firearms makers will be thanking him in two years time? :roll:
I like my Austrian guns. My wife's Brazillian Bersa is her favorite. It's a tack driver. She named it Raul Mateo. We got into the habit of naming our carry guns so that my children when younger wouldn't ask where my gun was in public. "Where is Carrie?" Sounds better when you are standing at a restaurant cash register. I named my Kimber "Emma". She is my current EDC.

The UN has no businesses having any authority over my country. It's a slippery slope that I don't intend to go down. Especially since we are paying 22% of their budget.
The UN has no authority over anyone, Tex. Countries agree to a Treaty or a Convention and then ratify it and pass it into law. The UN doesn't control countries, it is the other way 'round. The problem is, many countries focus on the parts of the UN which makes decisions they don't like, which have no power over them, rather than where the real power resides in the UN - the Security Council. People assume that the UN is one organisation, all with one purpose. In reality it is one organisation, made up of multiple parts all with different purposes. :roll:
We never ratified the treaty because it would be political suicide to support this idiocy. 2016 alone should tell you that. Trump is changing the political landscape and RINOs had better get on board or they will be left behind. Americans are supporting anybody who goes against the status quo. The vast majority of America wants secure borders, a strong military, and government doing what they were designed to do instead of effecting social change.
As I said, the UN has no power over any country. Member states decide to obey UN conventions and pass it into domestic law. It is then up to the member state to enforce it or not. You Americans get frightened by your own shadows it seems.
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 am

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:22 am
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:

As I said, the UN has no power over any country. Member states decide to obey UN conventions and pass it into domestic law. It is then up to the member state to enforce it or not. You Americans get frightened by your own shadows it seems.
I'm not afraid of the UN. I just know that my country actually honors it's commitments and I am very leery of them making commitments that I can't afford and don't want to yield my personal rights to the whims of the rest of the world. You can call me paranoid or whatever you want, but that's how I feel and you can get over it.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 am
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:

I'm not afraid of the UN. I just know that my country actually honors it's commitments and I am very leery of them making commitments that I can't afford and don't want to yield my personal rights to the whims of the rest of the world. You can call me paranoid or whatever you want, but that's how I feel and you can get over it.
Oh, I'm well over it. Problem is, I wonder who you're trying to convince, Tex. Me or you? The US however has a long history of failing to protect both it's own citizens and other peoples to whom it has made multiple promises to. Personally, I wouldn't trust el Presidente (of what ever hue) to tell me the correct time of day without checking my own watch afterwards, just to make sure they got it right. :roll:

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:05 pm
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:

Oh, I'm well over it. Problem is, I wonder who you're trying to convince, Tex. Me or you? The US however has a long history of failing to protect both it's own citizens and other peoples to whom it has made multiple promises to. Personally, I wouldn't trust el Presidente (of what ever hue) to tell me the correct time of day without checking my own watch afterwards, just to make sure they got it right. :roll:
I have no choice but to trust Trump. Hillary was promising everything I don't want. I have been pleasantly surprised with Trump's performance since election. He wasn't my first choice because of his bluster and drama in his personal life, but he is a pitbull and he is catering to his voters to the disapproval of many RINOs and his supporters aren't going anywhere. In the end, I'll support him as long as he works toward what I want, even if I suspected that he didn't live his personal life accordingly. We are tired of being pacified by conservative speaking bureaucrats just as blacks are tired of democrats promising them the world while leaving them dependent on the government and in poverty for half a century.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 pm
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:

I have no choice but to trust Trump. Hillary was promising everything I don't want. I have been pleasantly surprised with Trump's performance since election. He wasn't my first choice because of his bluster and drama in his personal life, but he is a pitbull and he is catering to his voters to the disapproval of many RINOs and his supporters aren't going anywhere. In the end, I'll support him as long as he works toward what I want, even if I suspected that he didn't live his personal life accordingly. We are tired of being pacified by conservative speaking bureaucrats just as blacks are tired of democrats promising them the world while leaving them dependent on the government and in poverty for half a century.
That is your choice. I must admit I wasn't exactly agreeing with Hilary's claims. I think she was/is a much cleverer operator than Trump. I also suspect she is a great deal more coherent and I agree with many of the things she said. I don't think Trump's presidency will in the long term benefit anybody other than Trump himself. He appears appalling ignorant of the office he has assumed and has made many of the same statements that Nixon once made. He is dangerous, IMO.

That brings up an interesting point. What was your opinion about Nixon and his Administration?

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:

That is your choice. I must admit I wasn't exactly agreeing with Hilary's claims. I think she was/is a much cleverer operator than Trump. I also suspect she is a great deal more coherent and I agree with many of the things she said. I don't think Trump's presidency will in the long term benefit anybody other than Trump himself. He appears appalling ignorant of the office he has assumed and has made many of the same statements that Nixon once made. He is dangerous, IMO.

That brings up an interesting point. What was your opinion about Nixon and his Administration?
I was 7 years old during Watergate and never went back to study it very much. I can't give an educated opinion so I won't try to BS you. I didn't become politically aware until the early 90s.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 pm
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:

I was 7 years old during Watergate and never went back to study it very much. I can't give an educated opinion so I won't try to BS you. I didn't become politically aware until the early 90s.
An honest answer, Tex, also an interesting one. Now, why was your political education delayed so much?

I find it interesting that Americans are often so ignorant of politics - their own and overseas.

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:53 pm
brian ross wrote:
Texan wrote:
brian ross wrote:

An honest answer, Tex, also an interesting one. Now, why was your political education delayed so much?

I find it interesting that Americans are often so ignorant of politics - their own and overseas.
I was a self absorbed kid. I learned the value of hard work and an education, but I didn't look outside my own life until I left home and began paying taxes and interacting with the rest of the world. I could do physics and calculus in my sleep, but I had no idea what "left" or "right" was until took an interest about the time of my marriage to the lovely Mrs. Texan in 1991.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:44 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 pm
Much like Australians. :roll:
Texan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm
I was a self absorbed kid. I learned the value of hard work and an education, but I didn't look outside my own life until I left home and began paying taxes and interacting with the rest of the world.
I would say that was representative of most kids/people no matter which country they hailed from.