Which horse won?

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
Black Orchid

Which horse won?

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:52 pm

There were puzzling scenes at a horse race in the UK this week when the judge called the wrong winner in a photo finish.

An on-course official announced favourite Loving Glance the winner — before hastily changing his mind and correcting the result.

The winner was in fact the 4-1 shot Albadr, who finished strongly under jockey Jim Crowley to win by a nose.

But a photograph of the finish did nothing to clear up the result as an optical illusion left punters baffled.
Despite the difficulty in picking the noses, bookmakers and punters weren’t impressed with the initial incorrect call.

Many bookies opted to pay out both results, leaving them out of pocket. “It’s just not good enough, we’ve paid out twice on the race,” Kempton layer Charlie Miller said.

Punter Len Brown never misses a meeting at the track and summed the mess up by saying:

“This happened at Sandown in the winter and they’ve gone and done it again. I had $50 on the winner (Albadr) at 4-1 but threw my ticket away. Someone else found it and went to collect when the result was corrected.

“Luckily Charlie (Miller) the bookie knew it was my bet and refused to pay the fella out. He called me over and gave me the $200 which was smashing of him.

“It shouldn’t happen though. If we can’t rely on the judge calling the result then the game’s in a right mess.”

A statement from the British Horseracing Authority said: “An incorrect provisional result was initially announced in the 3pm at Kempton, announcing Loving Glance as the winner following a photo finish.

“Shortly after the provisional result was announced, the error was picked up by the chief steward through verification procedures … the result was then corrected to announce Albadr as the winner.

“The official result was announced prior to the ‘weighed in’ signal, which is the point at which the result becomes official. We will now take steps to assess the cause of the incorrect provisional result.”

A track official defended the cock-up, saying: “It just goes to show that our protocol works as the correction was made before weighed-in was announced. Any result before the weighed-in is not the official result. If the bookmakers paid out then that is their prerogative.”
https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 54141a646c

Good on the bookies who paid out for both! :thumb

billy the kid

Re: Which horse won?

Post by billy the kid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Had to blow that up a bit...
If you stare at the horses eye above the bridle its obvious that the horse in the blue colours nearest to the camera has won...
But easy at first glance to get it wrong.....Winx would have beaten them both.. :rofl
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Black Orchid

Re: Which horse won?

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 pm

It's certainly deceptive at first glance.