Nick Kyrgios, Thanasi Kokkinakis -fight incident

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
Redneck

Nick Kyrgios, Thanasi Kokkinakis -fight incident

Post by Redneck » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:25 am

Kyrgios....Not sure about his tennis ability but his antics makes him popular with the crowds....but not his opponents in this case!

Nick Kyrgios, Thanasi Kokkinakis laugh off Australian Open 'fight' incident

Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis remain unfazed after claiming they were threatened with violence following their win in the Australian Open men's doubles draw on Friday.

It followed an animated match in front of a boisterous packed crowd on Kia Arena, which Kyrgios and Kokkinakis won 7-6 (10-8), 6-3.

They had whipped the crowd into a frenzy, with Pavić later complaining about the behaviour of the spectators.

Speaking after their third-round win on Sunday, Kokkinakis said both he and Kyrgios had shared a laugh about the alleged incident.

Two Australian male tennis players chat during a doubles match.

"I'm going to be honest, it was Pavić's fitness trainer and he came up and he smashed a foam roller against a pole as hard as he can and I thought he was kind of joking. I wasn't sure if he was about to berate his players.

"He came up to Nick and said we were being disrespectful. Nick hit the opponent with a ball, but that's normal, these doubles players have got unbelievable hands so you have to go at them.

"They said we were showboating, but I'm sure if we played away in Croatia it would have been the same thing."

Kokkinakis said the Olympic and Wimbledon champions were sore losers.

He said he and Kyrgios would not apologise for the entertainment they bring when they play doubles together.

"It was just our energy and I think at the end of the day they were a bit salty they lost because they've won their fair share of tournaments," Kokkinakis said.

"I don't know, I thought they would handle losing a little better than that, but at the end of the day we're just trying to entertain the crowd.

"We didn't mean anything disrespectful; we're trying to get ourselves and our energy up. It was all aggressive on his part though for sure."

Kyrgios added: " Just enjoyed it flat out."

Kokkinakis and Kyrgios reached the quarterfinals of the men's doubles draw after defeating 15th seeds Ariel Behar and Gonzalo Escobar 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.

They play sixth seeds Tim Pütz and Michael Venus in the last eight.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-24/ ... /100776724

Redneck

Re: Nick Kyrgios, Thanasi Kokkinakis -

Post by Redneck » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 am

Watched this , they certainly had the crowd behind them
-------------------------------------------------------------------
https://ausopen.com/articles/news/doubl ... final-four

Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis continue to pack the home fans in – and win – in doubles at Australian Open 2022.

The Australian wildcard pairing moved into the men's doubles semifinals with a 7-5 3-6 6-3 win over sixth seeds Tim Puetz and Michael Venus at a jammed Kia Arena on Tuesday.

"These guys are really good," Kokkinakis told reporters after the match.

"Everyone we play now, everyone we have played since we started, really good opponents.

"We're stoked with this win. We came big in the big points. Obviously the guys are experienced veterans but we're going to keep playing how we play, enjoy it, have fun, and use the crowd."

Few would discount a title for the friends, especially since Kyrgios and Kokkinakis ousted top seeds Nikola Mektic and Mate Pavic in the second round.

It would mark the first time a men's wildcard duo have triumphed at Melbourne Park, according to the ITF.

They blasted 25 aces as a team on Tuesday and saved six of seven break points despite Kyrgios claiming he only knows their opponents when he steps on court.

He might have been joking – or maybe not.

But more certain is that Kyrgios endeared himself to the spectators courtside when he gave a boy a racquet after his errant shot inadvertently struck the young fan as he looked on.

"This Oz Open, honestly, I think for us it's more about the people, playing for them is more important than our doubles success," Kyrgios said.

"We haven't drawn up any goals of what we want to achieve this year in doubles. I just want to play and give the people of Australia and the Australian Open a show and genuinely try and grow the sport of tennis.

"That's why I'm playing. I know Thanasi is just enjoying it. This is the most fun we've ever had on the court."

Trevor P

Re: Nick Kyrgios, Thanasi Kokkinakis -fight incident

Post by Trevor P » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:33 pm

Tennis is shit.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 pm

Trevor P wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:33 pm
Tennis is shit.
Opinions are like arseholes mate!

Everyone has one!

:lol:

On tennis, I am not a fanatic but I do watch some of the AO especially Nick and Ash!

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:25 pm

Sounds like Nick acted like a brat today against the kiwi and the crowd wasn't much better.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:59 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:25 pm
Sounds like Nick acted like a brat today against the kiwi and the crowd wasn't much better.
Yes I was mostly on the internet watching the score at the time, and my wife was watching it on TV, I could certainly hear the rowdy crowd.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Wow an all Aussie final coming up in Mens Doubles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.