Melbourne Cup Day

Discuss sport related and outdoor activities here
mellie

Melbourne Cup Day

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:55 am

I only ever back one horse, and this is the only day of the year I bet... and whilst I have been too busy moving to do anything but take a pot-shot this year, politically speaking, the climate is right for "ILLO" to get up and at least get a place.
Even if this means Labors henchmen have to poison/dope all the other horses out of the race to achieve this.

ILLO ---- International Labor Organisation ( Yes I am aware theres an extra L...but i'll take my chances with this)

This is afterall, Labors own pony...not that they will be able to watch it from Question Time, as Tony Abbott has made it clear, despite the race, these idiots still need to do their job. And fair enough!

:) I'll be backing it for a place. $20

Then again, like it's name sake, it might not get up at all.

lol

mellie

Re: Melbourne Cup Day

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:18 am

My friend ( Lazy ex-boarder) Is backing one I recommended also, Jukebox Jury, ... is backing this for a place.

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am

I might even back ILLO for a win, I just have a feeling about it and I'm normally ok at picking them.

I picked last years... via the same "political climate" hunch.

-Grinz

mantra

Post by mantra » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:23 am

Good luck. I heard some guy this morning on talkback say that every year he backed a winner. His trick was to place $1 for a win on every horse in the race. Sometimes he came out way ahead if the odds were high.

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:25 am

If I were to take a guess.....

1) ILLO
2) Jukebox (Or Jukebox 1st and ILLO second)
3) Americain 3rd or 4th...perhaps...

There, they are my picks... trust me , I'm psychic.

:thumb

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 am

mantra wrote:Good luck. I heard some guy this morning on talk back say that every year he backed a winner. His trick was to place $1 for a win on every horse in the race. Sometimes he came out way ahead if the odds were high.

If I were to use this method, I'd back the first 10 (that paid the least ie the favorites...) for $2 each, to increase the odd's further.

Trouble is, this method usually returns what you spent, or a little more or less over the long term...it's safe betting but if like me you only bet once a year, then why not make it fun!

It's about the culture for me, the event itself, not just about winning, so I don't care if I lose my $20.

:) I'll bet the guy on talk-back is a bit of a gambler, my step father would probably do something like this....lol

This said, my stepfather never ever bets more than his set limit.... which is safe for him given his income.

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 am

Note above correction, re- first 10...i'd back the ones that paid the least...(ie the favorites) if I were to use that broad spectrum betting method the talk back guys used.

I mean, how often does a horse paying $25 get up and win the cup?

Not often, if ever... it's always the top least paying (favorites) that get a place. Except the odd ring-in...which rarely happens.

:)

skippy

Post by skippy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:38 am

Tony Abbott has made it clear, despite the race, these idiots still need to do their job. And fair enough!
LOL Abbott lying again, question time has been moved so he can watch the race. :rofl :rofl :rofl You really should read some news before you place that foot in your mouth ,mel.

mantra

Post by mantra » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 am

It looks like 1, 2 and 3 are going to have a low payout. They seem to be favourites. No. 24 seems OK - Older than Time. The odds are 150 to 1. Might put a bet on him/her/it.

mellie

Post by mellie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:48 am

Skippy .....

A: http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs. ... enDocument

B: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ju ... 6182162846

What Gillard wants and what Gillard gets are two different things.