Are Jihad and Martyrdom in the Bible?

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
brian ross

Are Jihad and Martyrdom in the Bible?

Post by brian ross » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:01 pm

This came up as part of a separate discussion but I feel it needs greater examination.

Are Jihad and Martyrdom in the Christian Bible?

Of course, it all depends on how either word is defined. Many right-wingers believe Jihad means "holy war" wereas many Muslims and scholars know that it actually means "struggle". Therefore, it is quite possible to use the term "Jihad" in a peaceful context as in "personal jihad" or "holy struggle".

Many Christians use the word "crusade" in a similar way.

There is an interesting discussion here: Did You Know That Jihad Is In The Bible?
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Baronvonrort

Re: Are Jihad and Martyrdom in the Bible?

Post by Baronvonrort » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:50 pm

The Book of Jihad by Ibn Nuhaas.
https://aathir.files.wordpress.com/2010 ... dition.pdf

44 Ways to support Jihad by Anwar Awlaki.
https://ebooks.worldofislam.info/ebooks ... _Jihad.pdf

That should debunk any bullshit about Jihad being a mental struggle. :thumb

Muslim journalist Tarek Fatah on the root cause of Islamic terrorism.
It’s the doctrine of jihad, stupid

While ordinary Canadians and non-Muslims around the world are bewildered by these never-ending news reports of terrorism and alleged plots, the response by the leaders of the Islamic community is the tired old cliche — Islam is a religion of peace, and jihad is simply an “inner struggle.”

The fact is these terrorists are motivated by one powerful belief — the doctrine of armed jihad against the “kuffar” (non-Muslims).

It is worth noting that not a single Muslim cleric since 9/11 has mustered the courage to say the doctrine of armed jihad is defunct and inapplicable in the 21st century. They rightfully denounce terrorism, but dare not denounce jihad.

For those who search for the root cause of Islamist terrorism, it’s the doctrine of jihad, stupid.

https://torontosun.com/2013/04/23/its-t ... bb4f01ff78

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Hey baron, you made it. Good to see you, I’ve always enjoyed your posts :thumb

Cheers,
Nic

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm

brian ross wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:01 pm
This came up as part of a separate discussion but I feel it needs greater examination.

Of course, it all depends on how either word is defined. Many right-wingers believe Jihad means "holy war" wereas many Muslims and scholars know that it actually means "struggle". Therefore, it is quite possible to use the term "Jihad" in a peaceful context as in "personal jihad" or "holy struggle".

There is an interesting discussion here: Did You Know That Jihad Is In The Bible?
Which BIBLE?

I have the KJV one. This is for Protestants, I believe. What Bible do the Catholics read?

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:37 pm
brian ross wrote:

Which BIBLE?

I have the KJV one. This is for Protestants, I believe. What Bible do the Catholics read?
The New Jerusalem Bible, Neferti. However, I've never seen one of those. I prefer the language of the King Charles version over that of the King James one but it is hard to find that one so I tend to use the KJV.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Baron, why do you find it so hard to actually address the point of the thread? It is to discuss the similarities between Christian and Islamic beliefs, not to criticise only one side. When will we see you criticising Christianity, Mmmm? :roll:

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:27 am

brian ross wrote:

No, I don’t think so. I don’t think Jihad is in the Quran, or Bible. That’s the new scare word of the 21st century. Everyone hears Jihad - completely freaks out. Which is the main goal at the end. Chaos means money, a lot of money, control, and easily passed laws “under the table”, when no one is looking; everyone’s too busy commenting on the latest bomb attack. “Jihad” is the same bullshit as “Saddam Hussain has weapons of mass destruction!”
The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

Nom De Plume

Post by Nom De Plume » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am

Jihad means a struggle or fight against the enemies of Islam...and not merely a struggle.
Now, pull your pants up Brian. Your duplicity is showing. :roll:
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Nom De Plume wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 am
Jihad means a struggle or fight against the enemies of Islam...and not merely a struggle.
Now, pull your pants up Brian. Your duplicity is showing. :roll:
No duplicity. It means many things to different people but the original meaning is "struggle", Nom. It can mean a holy war or a personal struggle. I've met a young Muslim woman who's personal name was, "Jihad" because of the struggle her parents had to conceive her. Muslims use the term in different contexts. Just as Christians use the term, "Crusade" in different contexts. :roll:

Baronvonrort

Post by Baronvonrort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:57 pm

brian ross wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 pm
Baron, why do you find it so hard to actually address the point of the thread? It is to discuss the similarities between Christian and Islamic beliefs, not to criticise only one side. When will we see you criticising Christianity, Mmmm? :roll:
There is no comparison brian.

Why does Allah reward the Mujahideen with a better place in the Islamic afterlife? With unlimited pussy and rivers of wine the Islamic afterlife sounds like a heavenly brothel for muslim males.

What is Jihad in the way of Allah, this verse mentions Mujahid so it's obviously for fighting.
Chapter: The High Positions that Allah has prepared for the Mujahid in Paradise

It has been narrated on the authority of Abu Sa`id al-Khudri that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said (to him):
Abu Sa`id, whoever cheerfully accepts Allah as his Lord, Islam as his religion and Muhammad as his Apostle is necessarily entitled to enter Paradise. He (Abu Sa`id) wondered at it and said: Messenger of Allah, repeat it for me. He (the Messenger of Allah) did that and said: There is another act which elevates the position of a man in Paradise to a grade one hundred (higher), and the elevation between one grade and the other is equal to the height of the heaven from the earth. He (Abu Sa`id) said: What is that act? He replied: Jihad in the way of Allah! Jihad in the way of Allah!

https://sunnah.com/muslim/33/175
You're a hypocrite when it comes to criticising religion brian, what did you say at ozpolitic forum when it comes to saudis chopping peoples heads off for leaving Islam or Iranians hanging people for becoming atheists?
Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 5:39pm:
Quote:
Is this the Islam you are so keen to defend with your "fair deal" nonsense, what about those who no longer believe in that bullshit barfed up by a 7th century desert bandit do they deserve a fair deal like article 18 of the Universal declaration of human rights?
Quote:
7 nations where atheism is punishable by death.
All 7 establish Islam as the state religion.
Pakistan,Saudi Arabia,Iran,Afghanistan,Sudan,Mauritania and the Maldives
www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews ... ies-where-...

I make no excuses for those nations and their laws, BV. I merely recognise that it is their right to create and unfortunately impose those punishments. It is terrible but I also recognise I have no right or ability to criticise them. I am neither a member of their religion or a citizen of any of those nations.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1379233325
Can you cite where any christians have ever said Jesus loves you before going on a homicidal suicidal rampage? :shock: