Are Jihad and Martyrdom in the Bible?

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
brian ross

Re: Are Jihad and Martyrdom in the Bible?

Post by brian ross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Lets examine the word, "Jihad", shall we? Instead of relying upon Islamophobic websites, lets see what the word actually means in an Islamic context:
Jihad (English: /dʒɪˈhɑːd/; Arabic: جهاد‎ jihād [dʒɪˈhaːd]) is an Arabic word which literally means striving or struggling, especially with a praiseworthy aim.[1][2][3][4] In an Islamic context, it can refer to almost any effort to make personal and social life conform with God's guidance, such as struggle against one's evil inclinations, religious proselytizing, or efforts toward the moral betterment of the ummah,[1][2][5] though it is most frequently associated with war.[6] In classical Islamic law, the term refers to armed struggle against unbelievers,[2][3] while modernist Islamic scholars generally equate military jihad with defensive warfare.[7][8] In Sufi and pious circles, spiritual and moral jihad has been traditionally emphasized under the name of greater jihad.[9][3] The term has gained additional attention in recent decades through its use by terrorist groups.

The word jihad appears frequently in the Quran with and without military connotations,[10] often in the idiomatic expression "striving in the path of God (al-jihad fi sabil Allah)".[11][12] Islamic jurists and other ulema of the classical era understood the obligation of jihad predominantly in a military sense.[13] They developed an elaborate set of rules pertaining to jihad, including prohibitions on harming those who are not engaged in combat.[14][15] In the modern era, the notion of jihad has lost its jurisprudential relevance and instead given rise to an ideological and political discourse.[7] While modernist Islamic scholars have emphasized defensive and non-military aspects of jihad, some Islamists have advanced aggressive interpretations that go beyond the classical theory.[7]

Jihad is classified into inner ("greater") jihad, which involves a struggle against one's own base impulses, and external ("lesser") jihad, which is further subdivided into jihad of the pen/tongue (debate or persuasion) and jihad of the sword.[16][9] Most Western writers consider external jihad to have primacy over inner jihad in the Islamic tradition, while much of contemporary Muslim opinion favors the opposite view.[16] Gallup analysis of a large survey reveals considerable nuance in the conceptions of jihad held by Muslims around the world.[17]

Jihad is sometimes referred to as the sixth pillar of Islam, though this designation is not commonly recognized.[18] In Twelver Shi'a Islam jihad is one of the ten Practices of the Religion.[19] A person engaged in jihad is called a mujahid (plural mujahideen). The term jihad is often rendered in English as "Holy War",[20][21][22] although this translation is controversial.[23][24] Today, the word jihad is often used without religious connotations, like the English crusade.[1][2]
[Source]

Now, if Wikipedia can get it right, why do Islamophobes only concentrate on one version of the word? Could it be because they hate Muslims and Islam beyond reason? Nah, of course not. No, no, no. I really think Islamophobes need help. Just as anti-Semites do and Protestant bigots. :roll:
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Baronvonrort

Post by Baronvonrort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Now, if Wikipedia can get it right, why do Islamophobes only concentrate on one version of the word?
Wiki is not a credible source brian anyone can edit it.

Since muslims say the Quran is the words of Allah can we say Allah speaking before reciting every verse?
Jihad (holy fighting in Allah's Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.

https://quran.com/2/216?translations=18
Many other verse on Jihad in the Quran- https://quran.com/search?q=jihad

Muslims aren't allowed to pick and choose which parts of the Quran they follow it's a package deal.

Then, you are those [same ones who are] killing one another and evicting a party of your people from their homes, cooperating against them in sin and aggression. And if they come to you as captives, you ransom them, although their eviction was forbidden to you. So do you believe in part of the Scripture and disbelieve in part? Then what is the recompense for those who do that among you except disgrace in worldly life; and on the Day of Resurrection they will be sent back to the severest of punishment. And Allah is not unaware of what you do.

https://quran.com/2/85

Baronvonrort

Post by Baronvonrort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 pm

brian ross wrote:
Lets examine the word, "Jihad", shall we? Instead of relying upon Islamophobic websites, lets see what the word actually means in an Islamic context:
:
I cite everything from Islamic websites brian, The Book of Jihad by Ibn Nuhaas and 44 ways to support Jihad can be downloaded from many Islamic sources.

The Book of Jihad is considered the best guide to Jihad if a muslim wants that everlasting erection to service his wives and houris in the Islamic afterlife.

Ibn Nuhaas and Anwar Awlaki both cite from the Quran and Sunnah for their books.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 pm
brian ross wrote:
:
I cite everything from Islamic websites brian, The Book of Jihad by Ibn Nuhaas and 44 ways to support Jihad can be downloaded from many Islamic sources.

The Book of Jihad is considered the best guide to Jihad if a muslim wants that everlasting erection to service his wives and houris in the Islamic afterlife.

Ibn Nuhaas and Anwar Awlaki both cite from the Quran and Sunnah for their books.
They are not criticisms of Christianity, Baron. When we see you balance your criticisms, I might be interested in engaging with you. Until then, don't waste my time. :roll:

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:19 pm
brian ross wrote:

Now, if Wikipedia can get it right, why do Islamophobes only concentrate on one version of the word?
Wiki is not a credible source brian anyone can edit it.
That does not decrease it's credibility, it actually enhances it. Encyclopedia Britannica is a self-reference system as are all Encyclopedias, other than Wikipedia. Wikipedia sources it's references from other works.

Why though, attack the source rather than actually discuss what the reference is saying, Baron? All that shows is intellectual laziness on your part. No surprise there, though... :roll:

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm
They are not criticisms of Christianity, Baron. When we see you balance your criticisms, I might be interested in engaging with you. Until then, don't waste my time. :roll:
Brian you have got to be kidding. The day we see you criticise anything Islam is the day you will stop wasting everyone's time. Maybe! Then again ...

What a shocking hypocrite you are! :roll:

Baronvonrort

Post by Baronvonrort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm

brian ross wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 pm
brian ross wrote:
:

When you start citing from credible websites instead of christianopobic crap I might stop refuting your bullshit.

You cannot criticise islam so no balance in any of your crappy leftist virtue signalling.
Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2013 at 5:39pm:
Quote:
Is this the Islam you are so keen to defend with your "fair deal" nonsense, what about those who no longer believe in that bullshit barfed up by a 7th century desert bandit do they deserve a fair deal like article 18 of the Universal declaration of human rights?
Quote:
7 nations where atheism is punishable by death.
All 7 establish Islam as the state religion.
Pakistan,Saudi Arabia,Iran,Afghanistan,Sudan,Mauritania and the Maldives
www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews ... ies-where-...

I make no excuses for those nations and their laws, BV. I merely recognise that it is their right to create and unfortunately impose those punishments. It is terrible but I also recognise I have no right or ability to criticise them. I am neither a member of their religion or a citizen of any of those nations.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1379233325

Nom De Plume

Post by Nom De Plume » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Psst... hey Baron! Are you a Christian?
Same question to you Brian.
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Nom De Plume wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:15 pm
Psst... hey Baron! Are you a Christian?
Same question to you Brian.
I doubt you'll get a straight answer out of the Baron, Nom. No, I am a lapsed Christian. I had my belief in God beaten out of me by the Brothers. They didn't like my questioning the most basic aspects of Christianity.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 pm
brian ross wrote:
Brian you have got to be kidding. The day we see you criticise anything Islam is the day you will stop wasting everyone's time. Maybe! Then again ...

What a shocking hypocrite you are! :roll:
Am I? Simply because I admit my ignorance about the religion? Oh, dearie, dearie, me, appears I am being penalised for my honesty, unlike most Islamophobes who are grossly ignorant about any religion, let alone Islam... :roll: