The humanities may seem pointless, but that is the point

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
brian ross

Re: The humanities may seem pointless, but that is the point

Post by brian ross » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Neferti wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm
I tried Red Hat a long time ago on a mate's computer and he had both Windows and Linux. Didn't like it. I don't like Microsoft either. The ONLY people I know who use Linux are OLD FARTS. Really OLD FARTS.

I have used Linux now for nearly 30 years, Neferti. I started out with Red Hat, went across to SuSE, then went to Debian, Ubuntu and am now presently using Mint. I have used Red Hat professionally for most of that time. I have also used various flavours of Unix. All are subtly different. You are entitled to your opinion although it is obviously personally coloured. Was the command line a bit of a problem for you? :roll:
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Bobby wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 pm
Neferti wrote:
I tried Red Hat a long time ago on a mate's computer and he had both Windows and Linux. Didn't like it. I don't like Microsoft either. The ONLY people I know who use Linux are OLD FARTS. Really OLD FARTS.
Linux is the basis of many Govt. and professional systems.
That way the people who use it have some sort of control over the source code.
With Microsoft you have no idea of what they are actually doing.
Yes and no. No one in Government cares about the source code - although they should. They don't have time or the money to be worried by what their computer systems are doing without their knowledge. You're right we don't know what Micro$oft is up to. All I know is that it needs constant updating to plug holes, left. right and centre. It annoys me that my kids are downloading gigabytes just to keep their OSs up to date.

The real problem for Micro$oft is that they have a single-user operating system which they have attempted to turn into a multi-user system, whereas Unix and Linux started with the reverse. What Micro$oft has excelled at is marketing. Walk into a computer shop today and all they talk about is Windoze. You mention Linux and they stare at you. :roll:

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 am

brian ross wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 pm
Bobby wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:56 pm
Neferti wrote:
Linux is the basis of many Govt. and professional systems.
That way the people who use it have some sort of control over the source code.
With Microsoft you have no idea of what they are actually doing.
Yes and no. No one in Government cares about the source code - although they should. They don't have time or the money to be worried by what their computer systems are doing without their knowledge. You're right we don't know what Micro$oft is up to. All I know is that it needs constant updating to plug holes, left. right and centre. It annoys me that my kids are downloading gigabytes just to keep their OSs up to date.

The real problem for Micro$oft is that they have a single-user operating system which they have attempted to turn into a multi-user system, whereas Unix and Linux started with the reverse. What Micro$oft has excelled at is marketing. Walk into a computer shop today and all they talk about is Windoze. You mention Linux and they stare at you. :roll:
This poor lady has been driven nuts by Win10.

It seems as though there is a conspiracy to force obsolescence as soon as possible.
It means that your time is wasted and you pay more.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:56 pm

brian ross wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:45 pm
Neferti wrote:

I have used Linux now for nearly 30 years, Neferti. I started out with Red Hat, went across to SuSE, then went to Debian, Ubuntu and am now presently using Mint. I have used Red Hat professionally for most of that time. I have also used various flavours of Unix. All are subtly different. You are entitled to your opinion although it is obviously personally coloured. Was the command line a bit of a problem for you? :roll:
I started with DOS back in the 80s. I had a personal computer at home in 1984. They were still using typewriters (or word processors) in the offices. I enjoyed playing games like Leisure Suit Larry back then, plus a few other "adventure" things as did my daughter, who was about 9 at the time.
Plus I used to "key in" diatribes that a couple of friends gave me and save them to disk (and I used to charge $5 a page CASH. LOL) I didn't have a printer.
Then, when Windows95 came in (August '95) I bought a new PC (cost me $3,500) and joined the WWW at great expense - there were no "local" ISPs so I had to join Microsoft - browsing the "Web" cost me about $5 an hour and one month I recall having a bill for $300 plus. Yikes.
The Commonwealth Government at the time did NOT yet have the Internet and were still using CCMail - however, the Techie and I got on really well and he gave me various programs to "test" in my copious spare time at work.
Everyone played "games" at "lunchtime" most were "pirated" by some bloke who called himself a Canadian (but was really an American). I borrowed some to load on my computer at home.
I don't think you have any idea, Brian. So up yourself that you actually think you are superior to everybody else.
It is time for you to Smell the Roses.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Oh, dearie, dearie, me. I suspect I know a lot more about computers and operating systems than you do, Neferti. I got my first Apple II way back in 1983. I bought an Apple IIe in 1984 and then my first PC in 1987. I could go on boasting but hey, what would be point? Your ideas on how the world of computing works is very different to mine but hey, I'm a professional IT Systems Engineer and you're a? :roll:

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:26 pm

brian ross wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm
In IT, if I want to understand how TCP/IP works, I consult a university trained Systems Engineer. If I want TCP/IP to work, I consult a TAFE trained Systems Administrator. He can connect up the devices and get them to talk to one another but is at a loss when that doesn't work, whereas the Systems Engineer can figure out the reasons why it isn't working.
If you are a professional IT Systems Engineer why do you need to consult anyone?

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 pm
Oh, dearie, dearie, me. I suspect I know a lot more about computers and operating systems than you do, Neferti. I got my first Apple II way back in 1983. I bought an Apple IIe in 1984 and then my first PC in 1987. I could go on boasting but hey, what would be point? Your ideas on how the world of computing works is very different to mine but hey, I'm a professional IT Systems Engineer and you're a? :roll
MY first PC at home was one I had "built" to my specifications by a local (Canberra) computer place. If I remember correctly, it cost me $1,500 in 1984. It had DOS as there was no such thing as Windows. I did not go out and purchase an "Apple". However, I have a so-called "technical mind" and I did NOT need to be told by any "Systems Engineer"what type of personal computer I required.

WHY do I scare you, Brian?

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Neferti~ wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm
brian ross wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:21 pm
Oh, dearie, dearie, me. I suspect I know a lot more about computers and operating systems than you do, Neferti. I got my first Apple II way back in 1983. I bought an Apple IIe in 1984 and then my first PC in 1987. I could go on boasting but hey, what would be point? Your ideas on how the world of computing works is very different to mine but hey, I'm a professional IT Systems Engineer and you're a? :roll
MY first PC at home was one I had "built" to my specifications by a local (Canberra) computer place. If I remember correctly, it cost me $1,500 in 1984. It had DOS as there was no such thing as Windows. I did not go out and purchase an "Apple". However, I have a so-called "technical mind" and I did NOT need to be told by any "Systems Engineer"what type of personal computer I required.

WHY do I scare you, Brian?
You don't scare me in the slightest, Neferti. Why are you frightened that someone might known more than you? I have been in IT professionally since 1987. Take my word for it, your experience isn't unique nor is all that exemplary. My experience is very different to yours, that's all and all your boasting is just that, boasting. :roll:

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:26 pm
brian ross wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm
In IT, if I want to understand how TCP/IP works, I consult a university trained Systems Engineer. If I want TCP/IP to work, I consult a TAFE trained Systems Administrator. He can connect up the devices and get them to talk to one another but is at a loss when that doesn't work, whereas the Systems Engineer can figure out the reasons why it isn't working.
If you are a professional IT Systems Engineer why do you need to consult anyone?
'cause I don't know everything, Black Orchid and I am quite willing to admit my ignorance when asked a question which I don't know the answer to.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:01 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:05 pm
professionally since 1987. Take my word for it, your experience isn't unique nor is all that exemplary. My experience is very different to yours, that's all and all your boasting is just that, boasting. :roll:
When you pull your fucking head out of your arse and read what I said for the VERY FIRST TIME ... you might realise who is "boasting" and it isn't' me, myself I. I have the "receipts" here. I don't do "hardware" I do "software".