Inspiring

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
sprintcyclist

Inspiring

Post by sprintcyclist » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:52 pm

https://www.worldofbuzz.com/71yo-husban ... VSd1JQiBqI

71yo Husband & 68yo Wife Retire & Backpack To Over 40 Countries Around The World Together!
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

billy the kid

Re: Inspiring

Post by billy the kid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Great story...
As a retiree I have often thought about travelling overseas...
I do however think of things like the what ifs...ie health cover if you get sick..
financial problems if your credit card is hacked..issues such as your phone being stolen..
Maybe Im just too negative..
Over Christmas the topic of travel came up and the positive and negative chat flowed freely..
I guess we all have to do what suits us...
Be that as it may...we aren't getting any younger...
My feeling is that as a retiree, its sometimes difficult to decided what actually does suit us....
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Disasters can strike anyone whether at home or overseas. My son got knocked out and left for dead in sub zero snowy and icy temperatures whilst he was in Japan earlier this year.

When he came to everything had been stolen. Passport, money, warm clothing, camera, computer, go pro, shoes etc etc etc. More than $10k worth of stuff and hardly anyone there actually speaks English which made things difficult. Luckily I have a friend who lives north of Tokyo and went to his rescue.

You can't let the 'what ifs' hold you back though. Let your hair down and get out and have some fun.

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:42 pm

:thumb

Im 72...don't know if I want to travel the world..was thinking of a week in Hawaii to see the big waves and
go through the Pearl Harbour War Memorial etc etc....use that as a trial run so to speak...then maybe decide
about any future, longer trips...at this stage Id be on my own...a bit daunting....
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:07 pm

billy the kid wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:42 pm
:thumb

Im 72...don't know if I want to travel the world..was thinking of a week in Hawaii to see the big waves and
go through the Pearl Harbour War Memorial etc etc....use that as a trial run so to speak...then maybe decide
about any future, longer trips...at this stage Id be on my own...a bit daunting....
Yes, on your own would be daunting.

Hold onto the dream man.
One of my Aunts went backpacking around Europe when she was in her 70's
It is a lot easier now.

You can do it.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:16 pm

There are group tours. My Aunt did one and loved it.

I have to admit that backpacking is definitely not my thing. Not a chance! But I admire those who get out and do anything out of the norm.

I have a friend who keeps hounding me to travel around New Zealand in a camper and go hiking but she's never going to succeed in convincing me. I like my comforts now.

I'd like to to go back to Hawaii though. Maybe I can talk Billy into going with me? :lol:

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:58 pm

When I think of backpacking I automatically envisage "walking"..maybe Airbnb is the go...dunno…
At the moment, I haven't even got a passport....
I guess anythings possible.....

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 pm

yep, anythings possible.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Dr Seuss

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:16 pm

So inspiring.

Last year two young female luvvie backpackers full of peace, love and mung beans went backpacking in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco, where they promptly got raped and murdered by around 30 local Arab men. The were women, Maren Ueland, 28, from Denmark, and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, from Norway. Jesperson) was beheaded and Ueland had her throat cut.

z2059.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:18 pm

Before leaving on their "inspiring" trip to Morocco, Vesterager Jesperson had published on her facebook page that people should not be judged by their appearance,
z2060.png
These three were their beheaders and throat cutters. Think they should have been judged by their appearance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.