Free Will

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Nom De Plume

Free Will

Post by Nom De Plume » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:36 pm

One of the lively debates spawned from the neuroscience revolution has to do with whether humans possess free will, or merely feel as if we do. If we truly possess free will, then we each consciously control our decisions and actions. If we feel as if we possess free will, then our sense of control is a useful illusion—one that neuroscience will increasingly dispel as it gets better at predicting how brain processes yield decisions.
For those in the free-will-as-illusion camp, the subjective experience of decision ownership is not unimportant, but it is predicated on neural dynamics that are scientifically knowable, traceable and—in time—predictable. One piece of evidence supporting this position has come from neuroscience research showing that brain activity underlying a given decision occurs before a person consciously apprehends the decision. In other words, thought patterns leading to conscious awareness of what we’re going to do are already in motion before we know we’ll do it. Without conscious knowledge of why we’re choosing as we’re choosing, the argument follows, we cannot claim to be exercising “free” will.

https://time.com/3529770/neuroscience-free-will/
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Nom De Plume

Re: Free Will

Post by Nom De Plume » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:16 pm

Reboot wrote:I'm a "hobbyist" philosopher.
What do you think of this conundrum... Ms Philosopher hobbyist?
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:13 am

Maybe the brain is being 'lazy', predicting the answer AS the question evolves.
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:07 am

You need some Sam Harris books/podcasts

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:08 pm

Nom De Plume wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:16 pm
Reboot wrote:I'm a "hobbyist" philosopher.
What do you think of this conundrum... Ms Philosopher hobbyist?
The answer in short is no. Neuroscience cannot debunk free-will.. at least where brain activity and making a final decision is concerned. In the outside world, humanity has chained itself within the constraints of society. I.e, one must sacrifice its time in order to make money to survive, and for their family to survive. Unless you are lucky enough to have a "dream job" you lack free will because you are doing something you'd rather not be doing.

For example, let's use a meth addict. This hypothetical meth addict is trying to kick the habit. He (or she) has been off the crap for a few weeks now, until one day an old friend (who is also a meth head) comes to visit out of the blue, unexpectedly. Before he or she knows it, old-friend-the-meth-head has the needle out and is ready to go. Before inserting into their own veins, they offer the meth addict a hit.

Recovering meth addict's brain is going bonkers. All of that hard, pushing-shit-uphill progress gained over three weeks is down the drain within a second of seeing the needle. The temptation is strong, recovering meth addict is sweating in anticipation and the brain is telling them to accept that needle.

Those who are weak-willed will kiss that idea of giving up meth goodbye and accept the needle without question, going along with the "flow" of their mental activity.

Strong-willed people will tell the old friend to piss off. It will cause them much stress and regret initially, but by making a conscious, lucid decision not to relapse into old habits, they will be stronger and better in the long run.

This could also apply to a woman that has been bashed by a violent boyfriend repeatedly. She finally grows the spine to tell him to piss off, but he comes running back telling her he's so sorry and he will never hurt her again. Because her brain has fond memories of a charming, sweet man who buys her presents, she will want to believe him and give him a second chance because she's afraid of being alone. Sadly, many women go back repeatedly and never learn the lesson because they are a slave to old habits, patterns that make up the mental process of whether to make a decision or not.

A strong woman, with a strong will, will tell the man to get nicked and to never darken her doorstep again.

One last bit from the article.
Consider how this might play out in a courtroom in which neuroscience evidence is marshalled to defend a murderer on grounds that he couldn’t know why he acted as he did.
I really hope this doesn't happen. There's already a large chunk of people not being held accountable for their actions because of this or that.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:34 pm

Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:39 am

The Reboot wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:08 pm

.................... One last bit from the article.
Consider how this might play out in a courtroom in which neuroscience evidence is marshalled to defend a murderer on grounds that he couldn’t know why he acted as he did.
I really hope this doesn't happen. There's already a large chunk of people not being held accountable for their actions because of this or that.
me too

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:11 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:39 am
The Reboot wrote:

me too
My cynicism is telling me it will, eventually. Ugh!

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:19 pm

The Reboot wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:11 pm
sprintcyclist wrote:
The Reboot wrote:

me too
I think it has already.
A lawyer will say 'my client was depressed and under the influence of drugs when they crashed into ............'
As though that is some excuse.
IN my books. his 'client' has now got about 4 areas of guilt.

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:24 pm

sprintcyclist wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:19 pm
The Reboot wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:11 pm
sprintcyclist wrote:
The Reboot wrote:

me too
I think it has already.
A lawyer will say 'my client was depressed and under the influence of drugs when they crashed into ............'
As though that is some excuse.
IN my books. his 'client' has now got about 4 areas of guilt.
:thumb

Exactly. If people want to take drugs or binge-drink, fine. It's their life. The moment they endanger another's life through their stupidity, however, it's a whole new ball game. People who engage in this behaviour on a regular basis know that it isn't the best course of action for them, after about the third time they've had a punch up but because their friends think it's "cool" and they lack self-control or personal responsibility, they never learn from their actions.