Bad parenting

Self evident. Any special interest matter can be raised here, including current affairs which might not suit either of the Politics Forums.
billy the kid

Re: Bad parenting

Post by billy the kid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 am

Its interesting that Gordon has raised the issue of the phone.
A family member has only recently been able to have his sons turn off their phones whilst
they are having dinner...they are well into their 20s...(the sons)
Up to recently they would regularly text or read texts or even answer calls during dinner.
This is the classic example of poor parenting...remember they are in their 20s.
Personally I feel that some parents have no foresight.
If a problem appears apparent and also appears that it may get worse, then it should be nipped
in the bud...isn't that just plain common sense.
Mobile phones have become everyones toy.....I wont elaborate on that.
When a problem arises, children should be given a swift kick up the arse so to speak...
Phones are the classic case of the tale wagging the dog.
If there is no discipline in the home, then the family is pretty much fucked.
The overuse of phones by children is just the tip of the iceberg, illustrating poor parenting...
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 pm

billy the kid wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 am
A family member has only recently been able to have his sons turn off their phones whilst
Up to recently they would regularly text or read texts or even answer calls during dinner.
If a problem appears apparent and also appears that it may get worse, then it should be nipped
When a problem arises, children should be given a swift kick up the arse so to speak...
The overuse of phones by children is just the tip of the iceberg, illustrating poor parenting...
Of course it doesn't help that their parents are just as addicted to their phones as their children. What example does it set for them if they see their parents on social media every second of the day?

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm

The Reboot wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 pm
billy the kid wrote:
Of course it doesn't help that their parents are just as addicted to their phones as their children. What example does it set for them if they see their parents on social media every second of the day?
:thumb
Cant remember if I posted this or not...
Not long ago, I saw without a word of a lie a teenager riding a skateboard down the main street of Coolangatta..
Two or three cars were behind him....no problem there...some idiotic moronic teenagers think they have
that right....only this imbecile was texting while he was riding....he then proceeded to lose control of the
skateboard, went over picked it up and kept riding/texting whilst the cars drove around him sounding their
horns and gesticulating fiercely at him....
His response.....age appropriate I believe is the current buzzword.....he gave them the finger and laughed at them....
Perhaps not typical of all our intellectual millenials....(tongue in cheek there)
The typical millenial/adult on the Gold Coast is often seen photographing their breakfast/coffee/lunch/dinner
with their phone and posting their photo on their facebook page plus sending it to their social media "friends"
As if anyone gives a fuck what anyone else is eating.... :giggle
I must say I find the current epidemic of phone use quite laughable... :giggle
And then we have the kid on the Central Coast who had her phone confiscated for use during class....
She had a friend go to the toilet and ring her mother to complain....
Result..mother arrives at school with the Police and wants the teacher charged with theft...
School backs down...phone returned to child...everyones happy...
Poor parenting.....yep….....dumb kids......yep...tail wagging the dog....yep....parents in denial....yep..... :rofl
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:10 pm

billy the kid wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:32 pm
The Reboot wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:08 pm
billy the kid wrote:
Cant remember if I posted this or not...
Not long ago, I saw without a word of a lie a teenager riding a skateboard down the main street of Coolangatta..
Two or three cars were behind him....no problem there...some idiotic moronic teenagers think they have
that right....only this imbecile was texting while he was riding....he then proceeded to lose control of the
skateboard, went over picked it up and kept riding/texting whilst the cars drove around him sounding their
horns and gesticulating fiercely at him....
His response.....age appropriate I believe is the current buzzword.....he gave them the finger and laughed at them....
Perhaps not typical of all our intellectual millenials....(tongue in cheek there)
The typical millenial/adult on the Gold Coast is often seen photographing their breakfast/coffee/lunch/dinner
with their phone and posting their photo on their facebook page plus sending it to their social media "friends"
As if anyone gives a fuck what anyone else is eating.... :giggle
I must say I find the current epidemic of phone use quite laughable... :giggle
And then we have the kid on the Central Coast who had her phone confiscated for use during class....
She had a friend go to the toilet and ring her mother to complain....
Result..mother arrives at school with the Police and wants the teacher charged with theft...
School backs down...phone returned to child...everyones happy...
Poor parenting.....yep….....dumb kids......yep...tail wagging the dog....yep....parents in denial....yep..... :rofl
The tendency for people to take pictures of their food to upload on social media was one of the driving forces behind me quitting social media years ago, that and the pointless attention-seeking status updates. "Going for a shower back in 5." Umm... why do we care, again?

At the end of the day, it isn't the object itself that is a problem. It is very handy to own a mobile phone, so that friends and family can contact you about something important.

It, comparing to the "gun" debate now, is not the phone itself that it's the problem -- it's how it is used. This applies to technology in general, I believe. A wealth of knowledge at our fingertips and somehow we're breeding more stupidity.

I guess kids would rather watch and emulate crap like this, than read a book (fast forward to about 0:26) and note the dope sitting there eating popcorn as he's watching while hell breaks loose outside. Idiocracy is a comedy but it's more prophetic than Nostadamus :lol:

Oh, and listening to this "music". :roll:

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Gotta agree...the phone we have today is an amazing instrument...but converted into a toy by the masses...
Remember videoing a mate on the driving range (golf) trying to straighten out his hook....
Was able to freeze his swing at various stages to ascertain what he was doing wrong....
Then played it on a laptop....I wish I could have done that back in the day..I wouldn't have
been as much of a hacker...

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:58 pm

My cousin is a police detective. He was seeking to arrest a guy so he looked up his Facebook page and met him at his posted destination.