petition to alter the constitution - banned members

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
freediver

petition to alter the constitution - banned members

Post by freediver » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:28 pm

I propose we alter the constitution as follows:

Current version:
There will be fresh elections for the position of exhalted leader at least every twelve months. An early election or a referendum can be called at any time on the whim of exhalted leader, or via petition. A petition will be deemed successful if the number of signatories meets or exceeds the greater of the number of first preference votes obtained by exhalted leader at the last election and the number of votes needed to get over 50% of the votes at said election (ie 50% plus 1 or 50% plus 0.5). All dethroned exhalted leaders will be referred to by their new nickname (eg Aussie the adequate).

All voting and petition signatures must be made public - no secret ballots. One vote per person.

A referendum can be used to alter the constitution or overrule a decision of exhalted leader, for example to reinstate a banned member. A referendum that obtains over 50% approval will be deemed a bloody good idea and will be passed. Anything less and the proposal will be deemed indecent.

All voting will be based on mixed runoff and instant runoff elections. Voters may rank candidates, in which case preference distribution will be instantaneous at the close of polls. If this proves insufficient to reach a decision, addition runoff rounds will be held. Only those members who voted for excluded candidates and did not allocate sufficient preferences need recast their vote in a runoff round. However the option to change votes will be extended to all, but only for the reduced candidate pool.

New version:
There will be fresh elections for the position of exhalted leader at least every twelve months. An early election or a referendum can be called at any time on the whim of exhalted leader, or via petition. A petition will be deemed successful if the number of signatories meets or exceeds the 'magic number'. The magic number is the greater of the number of first preference votes obtained by exhalted leader at the last election and the number of votes needed to get over 50% of the votes at said election (ie 50% plus 1 or 50% plus 0.5). A member's previous election vote will not be used in determining the magic number if they are unable to sign due to the actions of the admin. All dethroned exhalted leaders will be referred to by their new nickname (eg Aussie the adequate).

All voting and petition signatures must be made public - no secret ballots. One vote per person.

A referendum can be used to alter the constitution or overrule a decision of exhalted leader, for example to reinstate a banned member. A referendum that obtains over 50% approval will be deemed a bloody good idea and will be passed. Anything less and the proposal will be deemed indecent.

All voting will be based on mixed runoff and instant runoff elections. Voters may rank candidates, in which case preference distribution will be instantaneous at the close of polls. If this proves insufficient to reach a decision, addition runoff rounds will be held. Only those members who voted for excluded candidates and did not allocate sufficient preferences need recast their vote in a runoff round. However the option to change votes will be extended to all, but only for the reduced candidate pool.

The altered text:
A petition will be deemed successful if the number of signatories meets or exceeds the 'magic number'. The magic number is the greater of the number of first preference votes obtained by exhalted leader at the last election and the number of votes needed to get over 50% of the votes at said election (ie 50% plus 1 or 50% plus 0.5). A member's previous election vote will not be used in determining the magic number if they are unable to sign due to the actions of the admin.
Basically, this means you ignore the votes of banned members in calculating the magic number. This prevents the admin from banning members to prevent the passing of petitions, while not unnecessarily 'punishing' them for doing so.

Please respond with a yes below if you support this petition. If you oppose it, do not respond. If you are retarded, complain bitterly about it in this thread. Please leave this thread where it is visible to the public and to members who are not signed in.

EDIT: this change will not apply retrospectively. It will only apply to petitions started after the change is made.

Super Nova

Re: petition to alter the constitution - banned members

Post by Super Nova » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:37 pm

A petition will be deemed successful if the number of signatories meets or exceeds the 'magic number'. The magic number is the greater of the number of first preference votes obtained by exhalted leader at the last election and the number of votes needed to get over 50% of the votes at said election (ie 50% plus 1 or 50% plus 0.5). A member's previous election vote will not be used in determining the magic number if they are unable to sign due to the actions of the admin.
FD

Is think this still has a problem.

"A member's previous election vote will not be used in determining the magic number if they are unable to sign due to the actions of the admin."

should be changed to

"A member's previous election vote will not be used in determining the magic number if they are unable to sign in due to the actions of the admin or they have given notice that they no longer want to be active members or have requested their account removed."
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.

freediver

Post by freediver » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I want to limit it to admin actions, otherwise it will get too complicated. I don't want to try to add up new members and subtract departed members, or anything like that. Remember how long it took to figure out the magic number for the last petition?

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:37 am

Having just come to grips with what runoff voting is, I agree with this.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

JW.Frogen

Post by JW.Frogen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:32 am

I want to know how to we reban unbanned members who have been previously banned before an initial rebanning.
DEEEEEEEEPTHOUGHT IS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:20 pm

freediver wrote:I want to limit it to admin actions, otherwise it will get too complicated. I don't want to try to add up new members and subtract departed members, or anything like that. Remember how long it took to figure out the magic number for the last petition?
It took a nano second.....as soon as boxy released the voting details from the last election, details of which were virtually immediately communicated to the Members in whom you had so little confidence that you coerced me to add to ten, for them.

Your current document is convoluted, littered with grotesque and tortuous stretching of language and cluttered with nonsensical gobbly gook. [This post is not intended to be counted as a yes, it is but a comment.

It would take me about 30 minutes to reduce it to simple, easy to understand and follow terms, but that is for another time. FD is the God of Constitutions around here, so this is his barrow to push.]

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:30 pm

JW.Frogen wrote:I want to know how to we reban unbanned members who have been previously banned before an initial rebanning.

You press the big red button.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

JW.Frogen

Post by JW.Frogen » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:42 pm

I have a cream for the big red button.
DEEEEEEEEPTHOUGHT IS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Hebe wrote:
JW.Frogen wrote:I want to know how to we reban unbanned members who have been previously banned before an initial rebanning.

You press the big red button.

LOL......

:)

Super Nova

Post by Super Nova » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Aussie wrote:
freediver wrote:I want to limit it to admin actions, otherwise it will get too complicated. I don't want to try to add up new members and subtract departed members, or anything like that. Remember how long it took to figure out the magic number for the last petition?
It took a nano second.....as soon as boxy released the voting details from the last election, details of which were virtually immediately communicated to the Members in whom you had so little confidence that you coerced me to add to ten, for them.

Your current document is convoluted, littered with grotesque and tortuous stretching of language and cluttered with nonsensical gobbly gook. [This post is not intended to be counted as a yes, it is but a comment.

It would take me about 30 minutes to reduce it to simple, easy to understand and follow terms, but that is for another time. FD is the God of Constitutions around here, so this is his barrow to push.]
May be you are right. To put it into lay language would remove confussion.

How about this.

1) a version that is flowery like FDs and more so with a few thees and thous and some old english. Some legal language just to make us go to the dictionary. Like any good constituation.
2) a lay language version for us dummies.

Everyone is happy then.
Always remember what you post, send or do on the internet is not private and you are responsible.