Vaping Petition

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Black Orchid

Vaping Petition

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 pm

"The Federal Government has announced a significant increase in the enforcement of anti-vaping laws.

We are deeply concerned that the proposed heavy handed enforcement of import bans on vaping liquids will lead to perverse health outcomes.

From July 1, the Australian Border Force and Department of Health will begin enforcing fines of up to $220,000 over the importation of vaping liquids, used by many as a substitute for cigarettes.

By denying people access to a product that is commonly used, Australians will be forced to use more dangerous legal alternatives, such as cigarettes. Others may resort to black market options with the potential for even more harmful outcomes.

A well intentioned measure to improve health could easily end up making people less healthy.

Many studies, including by the UK Government and the British Medical Journal, have found that vaping and e-cigarettes are both far safer than smoking and help people give up smoking for good.

In addition, the UK Government has found that “e-cigarettes are attracting very few young people who have never smoked into regular use.”

Australia once led the way in reducing smoking. But with such harsh restrictions on vaping, Australia risks reversing that trend. Australia is one of the few developed countries where e-cigarettes are not legal.

Instead of outright banning vaping, we believe the Federal Government should regulate it - ensuring that it is sold safely, kept out of the hands of children and taxed in Australia.

That way, we can all look forward to a smoke-free future.

If you support vaping, please sign the petition. As Government MP’s with loud voices, we will ensure your message is heard."

https://www.vapepetition.com.au/

Whether you vape or smoke or whether you don't this is all kinds of wrong. The government is going to force people back onto cigarettes so they can claim more taxes.

The petition is put forward by Senators Canaven and Christenson.

If you know someone who vapes, or even if you don't, think about signing the petition.

Texan

Re: Vaping Petition

Post by Texan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:41 pm

I have mixed feelings on vaping. It's a great way to quit smoking. You can dial down the nicotine content until you can more easily quit, but with all of the flavors, it can lure people into addiction just like cigarettes.

I think that even most smokers would be ok with a total ban on smoking. They want to quit, but need the artificial will power that a government ban would provide. Of course, that goes against the tax income incentive that governments tend to be addicted to.

DreamRyder

Post by DreamRyder » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 am

Texan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:41 pm
I have mixed feelings on vaping. It's a great way to quit smoking. You can dial down the nicotine content until you can more easily quit, but with all of the flavors, it can lure people into addiction just like cigarettes.

I think that even most smokers would be ok with a total ban on smoking. They want to quit, but need the artificial will power that a government ban would provide. Of course, that goes against the tax income incentive that governments tend to be addicted to.

I feel the same way Tex....Image...it seems like swapping one addiction for another....a shell game played upon the addicted.

I started smoking at age 12......I had a pack a day habit by age 16. I quit cold turkey after 40+ years at full tilt. I still dream about it every day, but haven't had a smoke since September, 2008.

100% total ban would have got me off it much sooner, & I think that's the way the government should go....that is if their 'quit campaign' is legit & they really want people to give 'em up.

Let's see who blinks first......

..............Arguing with people who have lost all sense of reason is like administering medicine to the dead

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:12 am

DreamRyder wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:42 am
Texan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:41 pm

I feel the same way Tex....Image...it seems like swapping one addiction for another....a shell game played upon the addicted.

I started smoking at age 12......I had a pack a day habit by age 16. I quit cold turkey after 40+ years at full tilt. I still dream about it every day, but haven't had a smoke since September, 2008.

100% total ban would have got me off it much sooner, & I think that's the way the government should go....that is if their 'quit campaign' is legit & they really want people to give 'em up.

Let's see who blinks first......

Its all a government con.....
Bit like the "Don't drink and drive" campaign that's been around for decades....
They say that alcohol impairs your judgment....of course it does....
So what do they do.....
They open more and more liquor outlets...
AND....
They put TABs into pubs and clubs....
If alcohol effects your driving ability, it also effects your "gambling ability"
Therefore mug punters are separated from their money more easily....
Nothing will change as the political grubs need our tax dollars..... :roll:
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 pm

Not everyone can just give up cold turkey. I know a few people who gave up by using a vape and then just reduced that until they gave it away completely.

I don't think the government should dictate things like this nor do I think it's their right to rip us off for absolutely everything. If people want to vape that's their choice. Cigarettes are what here now? I think it's something like $30 for a pack of 20 with most of that going into government coffers.

It's only natural the government would want to take away vaping and turn people back to cigarettes. There's more money in that for them.

Texan

Post by Texan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm

I think we all agree that our governments see us as cash cows. They've dusted off the lemonade stand program and are setting taxes for maximum profit based on our demand.

Nom De Plume

Post by Nom De Plume » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:13 pm

As a libertarian, i cant abide the 'nanny-state mentality' that would use laws to dictate what we can and cant do! My body... My choice!
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Texan

Post by Texan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 am

Nom De Plume wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:13 pm
As a libertarian, i cant abide the 'nanny-state mentality' that would use laws to dictate what we can and cant do! My body... My choice!
I agree in a perfect world, where government doesn't manipulate our behavior that we should make all of our decisions. I think we should make all our choices anyway. I just find it suspect that they ban all kinds of things and make us wear seatbelts and motorcycle helmets, but won't ban a known addictive cancer causing substance. $$$

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Texan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 am
Nom De Plume wrote:
I agree in a perfect world, where government doesn't manipulate our behavior that we should make all of our decisions. I think we should make all our choices anyway. I just find it suspect that they ban all kinds of things and make us wear seatbelts and motorcycle helmets, but won't ban a known addictive cancer causing substance. $$$
Well, I would have thought wearing seatbelts and motor cycle helmets would be common sense... :roll:
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Texan

Post by Texan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:55 pm

billy the kid wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:00 pm
Texan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:21 am
Nom De Plume wrote:
Well, I would have thought wearing seatbelts and motor cycle helmets would be common sense... :roll:
I assumed that not smoking or vaping was common sense.