Historic Trees Poisoned

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Black Orchid

Historic Trees Poisoned

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:24 pm

'Hired guns to do this': Vandals chop down and kill 265 trees near affluent Sydney waterfront street.

John Moratelli has never seen anything like it. And he's mortified.

Having lived on Sydney's lower North Shore for more than 25 years, Moratelli is no stranger to stories of the odd tree being illegally cut down.

But the scale of tree vandalism inflicted on bushland adjacent to an affluent street of multi-million-dollar homes in Castle Cove, where 265 trees were callously cut down or poisoned, has left him flabbergasted.

"I have never heard of anything approaching this level, nothing like it," Moratelli, the Willoughby Environmental Protection Association president, told 9news.com.au.

"I've heard of individual trees, maybe a handful of trees, but 265 trees?

"It's in another realm entirely."

The affected area measures 3600 square metres - the size of 14 tennis courts - and the number of trees killed is also set to rise as the poison used to wipe out a range of species spreads through the earth and contaminates other root systems.

An 80-year-old angophora costatas, which can reach heights of 30 metres when fully mature, has been poisoned. A range of Christmas bushes, old man banksias, she oaks, cheese trees and tea trees have also been destroyed or infected with toxic poison.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/vanda ... ab9d0f0920

265 trees destroyed and more that will die. :S :mad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Black Orchid

Re: Historic Trees Poisoned

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:27 pm

Another attack.

Nine historic fig trees which were poisoned at a Sydney beach, possibly by someone hoping to open up a better harbour view, have survived the selfish and brazen attack.

Balmoral Beach locals were left aghast last month when it appeared a vandal armed with a drill and toxic herbicide might have sentenced the 100-year-old trees to a slow death.

But in a heartening update to 9news.com.au, Mosman Council said the huge Port Jackson figs "are showing no adverse reactions" which led them to believe the trees have "survived the act of vandalism".

https://www.9news.com.au/national/nine- ... c0e75dd2ed

If they come back I hope someone shoots them! :S :mad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jasin

Re: Historic Trees Poisoned

Post by Jasin » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:47 am

265 trees! :shock:
Makes me wonder if the Real Estate and Building Industry are in on it to 'prepare' for application for new high rises and such?

As for the others, yes - just pure bored Vandalism and a bit of where the word NIMBY came from with their need for a view and a rise in their property's selling value.

I've always liked Trees. Those vandals need to have a hole drilled into em and injected with some Irukandji to really rustle their leaves.