Favorite festive fare

Discuss any News, Current Events, Crimes
Forum rules
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever. Random guest posting.
Jovial Monk

Favorite festive fare

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:23 pm

Anybody have a fave meal to eat this festive season?

I have just bought 2Kg pork spareribs. After work tonight will marinate them with soy, honey, dijon mustard and ground dried and fresh grated ginger. Marinade them overnight then early tomorrow roast and take to big family christmass lunch where they will last 5 seconds :)

Just for us at home tonight bought some Springs smoked salmon, to have with potato salad (proper potato salad, not the crap usually called potato salad.) Stollen, muscatels, nuts, fresh cherries with a spatlese riesling

Tomorrow for breakfast dry roasted cherry tomatoes and eggs boiled just long enough for the whites to set.

JW Frogen

Re: Favorite festive fare

Post by JW Frogen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:17 pm

I did the cherry tomato egg thing.

Lovely.

This is what you are good at, a celebration of food.

This is no small art.

If Deepy had not wandered off into power control freak land (all Mods do) he would have let your keep posting there.

If I was not such a lazy fuck head with a bush non-lazy fuck head life and sober I would set up the freest forum in the entire world.

And then I would sell it on e-bay and go back to Italy.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 pm

I have no idea why that fuckwit banned me this time. Asked him twice, got totally banned, WTF? But he can go and get fucked by LOW_IQ now for all I care.

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:56 pm

I cooked the kids what they like best- homemade pasties, baked vegetables, and homemade strawberry and mango icecream also nuts, fruit, hommus and bread on the table.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Cool, I will be buyin myself an icecream maker next week

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I cooked the kids what they like best- homemade pasties, baked vegetables, and homemade strawberry and mango icecream also nuts, fruit, hommus and bread on the table.
Sounds yummy Rainbow. I love hommus, especially with homemade falafels & tabouli.
Just for us at home tonight bought some Springs smoked salmon, to have with potato salad (proper potato salad, not the crap usually called potato salad.
I've never liked potato salad much, but I made one for Xmas with bacon, eggs, dijon mustard, paprika, sour cream, mayonnaise, shallots, grated onion & celery and it was delicious, although a bit rich to have too often.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:42 pm

The way I make potato salad is to start with some small yellow-fleshed tasty potatoes. Boil in their jackets until *just* not quite done, drain & bung into a bowl. Next get some good sugar-free bacon & fry or grill until crips, just this side of burned is fine. Chop up into slivers & chuck on top potatoes. You can mint the spuds, I prefer a sprinkle of hot paprika powder. Cover spud-bacon mix & bung into fridge until needed.

When ready I just make a normal salad with lettuce, tomato etc. Arrange spuds-bacon on top, and pour over your vinaigrette of choice. Delish, with great range of colors & textures & flavors: soft potato, juicy crisp cucumber, salty crisp of the bacon etc.

No bloody mayo in sight!