Day/Night Owls Chit Chat

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Texan

Re: Night Owls Chit Chat

Post by Texan » Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

This guy describes the regions of Texas pretty accurately.

Carthage is just a little podunk town near the Louisiana border, but East Texas is beautiful with lots of forests and lakes. My family is from East TX.
Houston is full of shipping, oil refineries, and chemical plants.
West Texas has ranches and even more energy production.
Austin is exactly as he described. It's where all the Californians move to.
North TX (Dallas) is where all of the technology is. Texas Instruments, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter, lots of telecom.
San Antonio area is ranches, Tex-Mex food, and lots of military bases. Toyota trucks are also built in San Antonio.
The panhandle is grassy planes and some energy production. Cold and windy in the Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkt8HmXLpjs

This isn't bad if you have 15 minutes. A lot of dialogue with decent acting and the accent doesn't sound forced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kpFRpkGks

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 10:55 am

Texan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 am
Mistress Nicole wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 pm
Sweet Lord, do you ever sleep?
About 5-6 hours per night. I’m 12 hours or so behind you. It’s 10 am right now for me.
I'm on the east coast, in Sydney, so you are 13 hours behind me.

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu May 02, 2019 11:00 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:55 am
Texan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 am
Mistress Nicole wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 pm
Sweet Lord, do you ever sleep?
About 5-6 hours per night. I’m 12 hours or so behind you. It’s 10 am right now for me.
I'm on the east coast, in Sydney, so you are 13 hours behind me.
I figure that Australia has at least 3 time zones. It's almost as big as our 48 and we have 4, excluding Hawaii and Alaska.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 11:12 am

Texan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

Carthage is just a little podunk town near the Louisiana border, but East Texas is beautiful with lots of forests and lakes. My family is from East TX.
North TX (Dallas) is where all of the technology is. Texas Instruments, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter, lots of telecom.
San Antonio area is ranches, Tex-Mex food, and lots of military bases. Toyota trucks are also built in San Antonio.
The panhandle is grassy planes and some energy production. Cold and windy in the Winter.

This isn't bad if you have 15 minutes. A lot of dialogue with decent acting and the accent doesn't sound forced.

"Hairy legged women and fruitcakes" :lol:

I have an old friend down in Waco. I guess there must be a lot of water around there as he does a lot of fishing and has a houseboat he uses on weekends? He says "Terra" for Tara and "heek" for hick. It's so cute.

We used to tease each other relentlessly about it on both sides. Still do lol.

Some Americans have problems understanding the Aussie accent because they say we talk very fast. Another friend says it's because Americans speak correctly and Aussies don't. He got a slap for that one!

We hear the different American accents constantly because of the tv so maybe that makes it is easier for us to understand yours than it is for you to understand ours *shrug.

I love America. Everywhere I have been people are SO nice to me because they say they love the accent lol.

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu May 02, 2019 11:31 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:12 am
Texan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am

"Hairy legged women and fruitcakes" :lol:

I have an old friend down in Waco. I guess there must be a lot of water around there as he does a lot of fishing and has a houseboat he uses on weekends? He says "Terra" for Tara and "heek" for hick. It's so cute.

We used to tease each other relentlessly about it on both sides. Still do lol.

Some Americans have problems understanding the Aussie accent because they say we talk very fast. Another friend says it's because Americans speak correctly and Aussies don't. He got a slap for that one!

We hear the different American accents constantly because of the tv so maybe that makes it is easier for us to understand yours than it is for you to understand ours *shrug.

I love America. Everywhere I have been people are SO nice to me because they say they love the accent lol.
Waco is in the Hill Country between Dallas and Austin. I live about 70 miles from there(110km?), right up I-35 a piece. I go there a lot.

I like the Australian accent because words are pronounced more clearly. Much like British. I have Siri set to a female Australian voice on my phone. The diction is better and the Aussie voice doesn't sound as proper and uptight as the British voice. My problem with Australian is that I don't know the phrases and monikers. It'll come.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 am

We'll teach you! :lol:

One of the differences that amuses me is where Americans tend to say you 'root' for your sports team. We tend to say we "go for" a team or maybe "barrack" for a team.

Here 'root' has a totally different meaning. Think 'copulate' in its crudest form.

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu May 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 am
We'll teach you! :lol:

One of the differences that amuses me is where Americans tend to say you 'root' for your sports team. We tend to say we "go for" a team or maybe "barrack" for a team.

Here 'root' has a totally different meaning. Think 'copulate' in its crudest form.
When we "go", it means to move to somewhere or use the bathroom.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Another one is 'pissed'. Pissed here can mean either angry or drunk but we tend to say 'pissed off' if we mean angry. You tend to use the terms 'wasted' or 'buzzed'? I think I like those better.

'Go' also means that here too. 'Go for' is a little different.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 1:00 pm

That's sweet and well done too :lol:

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Thu May 02, 2019 1:38 pm

To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...