Day/Night Owls Chit Chat

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Re: Night Owls Chit Chat

Post by Black Orchid » Thu May 02, 2019 1:44 pm

That might be a bit much all at once Billy :lol:

BTW even though the YouTube function plays up on occasion it usually works if you take the s out of https before posting the link (by way of the YouTube button).

Like this ...

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Thu May 02, 2019 2:05 pm

:thumb
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Thu May 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Texan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:37 am
This guy describes the regions of Texas pretty accurately.

Carthage is just a little podunk town near the Louisiana border, but East Texas is beautiful with lots of forests and lakes. My family is from East TX.
Houston is full of shipping, oil refineries, and chemical plants.
West Texas has ranches and even more energy production.
Austin is exactly as he described. It's where all the Californians move to.
North TX (Dallas) is where all of the technology is. Texas Instruments, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Bell Helicopter, lots of telecom.
San Antonio area is ranches, Tex-Mex food, and lots of military bases. Toyota trucks are also built in San Antonio.
The panhandle is grassy planes and some energy production. Cold and windy in the Winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkt8HmXLpjs

This isn't bad if you have 15 minutes. A lot of dialogue with decent acting and the accent doesn't sound forced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2kpFRpkGks
Nice film Tex. I confess it bought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye.

Texan

Post by Texan » Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am

I'll be an actual night owl pretty soon. I just got a call from my boss and I have to go to work in Dallas at midnight tonight. Joy.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri May 03, 2019 11:18 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:55 am
Texan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:04 am
Mistress Nicole wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:34 pm
Sweet Lord, do you ever sleep?
About 5-6 hours per night. I’m 12 hours or so behind you. It’s 10 am right now for me.
I'm on the east coast, in Sydney, so you are 13 hours behind me.
That was a typo btw. It's 15 hours ... not 13.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri May 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Texan wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 am
I'll be an actual night owl pretty soon. I just got a call from my boss and I have to go to work in Dallas at midnight tonight. Joy.
Do you get paid penalty rates for those hours and/or weekends?

If you have served 20+ years in the military or on the police force you are entitled to a full pension right? Is that full pension the equivalent of your wage and you can work other jobs and still receive it?

Texan

Post by Texan » Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 am

Black Orchid wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:40 pm
Texan wrote:

If you have served 20+ years in the military or on the police force you are entitled to a full pension right? Is that full pension the equivalent of your wage and you can work other jobs and still receive it?

I get overtime(1.5 times normal) for more than 8 hours on a weekday, more than 40 in a week, or anytime on weekends. I’m guaranteed 40 hours pay per week, even if I work less. I am dispatched to job sites from home and am “on call” 24/7.

My job for Tuesday through Thursday was rescheduled to next month, so I am only working 2 days this week, but I am working all weekend in Oklahoma City and will make a killing in overtime. Some weeks, I work nights all week and don’t get any OT. It usually works out in my favor.

I was only fixing F-111s in the military for 5 years and don’t have a pension. I finished my college while in the Air Force and decided to use my education to improve my pay instead of going the full 20 for a pension. I’m paid well and it has worked out so far.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 pm

Texan wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 am
Black Orchid wrote:
Texan wrote:

I get overtime(1.5 times normal) for more than 8 hours on a weekday, more than 40 in a week, or anytime on weekends. I’m guaranteed 40 hours pay per week, even if I work less. I am dispatched to job sites from home and am “on call” 24/7.

My job for Tuesday through Thursday was rescheduled to next month, so I am only working 2 days this week, but I am working all weekend in Oklahoma City and will make a killing in overtime. Some weeks, I work nights all week and don’t get any OT. It usually works out in my favor.

I was only fixing F-111s in the military for 5 years and don’t have a pension. I finished my college while in the Air Force and decided to use my education to improve my pay instead of going the full 20 for a pension. I’m paid well and it has worked out so far.
Hey Tex,

My 17 year old son has an RAAF (Royal Australian Airforce) scholarship. He’s not sure whether he’s going in the direction of joining the RAAF after school or becoming a commercial pilot (with the RAAFs help). Would you recommend a career in the forces?

Nic

Texan

Post by Texan » Sat May 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Mistress Nicole wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 pm
Texan wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:10 am
Black Orchid wrote:
Texan wrote:

Hey Tex,

My 17 year old son has an RAAF (Royal Australian Airforce) scholarship. He’s not sure whether he’s going in the direction of joining the RAAF after school or becoming a commercial pilot (with the RAAFs help). Would you recommend a career in the forces?

Nic
I don't know much about the RAAF. Their are great opportunities and crap jobs in the USAF. Commercial pilot is a great gig in the US. Would he be an officer in the RAAF or enlisted? Would his job in the RAAF translate to a usable skill in the civilian world? I know people who loaded big guns on a ship and when they got out of the Navy, they had no usable job skills and struggle career wise. I have a military friend who earned his degree and finished his career as an aircraft maintenance officer. He is doing very well.

I went in enlisted after dropping out of college. I took a job fixing instruments and flight controls on fighter jets. It was fun, but frequent deployments and low pay made me decide to become a civilian after we became parents. I finished college 2 weeks after my oldest was born. I had a job lined up that used my job skills and education and stuck with it. I had the option of going to Officer Training School and completing my military career as an officer, but I wanted to be there to raise my kids.

I can't complain about my life. I make good money and my wife hasn't had to take a job in 25 years. A pension at 40 years of age would have been nice, but I've made a lot more money as a civilian over the last 25 years and I like what I do. I travel to job sites and repair solid state power electronics. For 15-20 years, I flew a round trip per week and have worked in 33 states and Mexico. The last 5-10 years, my experience has kept me local, which I like.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sat May 04, 2019 4:49 pm

My understanding is he would be an officer in the RAAF and that the RAAF would teach him to fly. I dunno Tex, I’ve never understood the forces.