Australian Slang

Home, Family, Pets, Food, Gardening, Hobbies and General Lifestyle topics.
Black Orchid

Australian Slang

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:38 pm

Another thread made me think of this for those who aren't familiar with Australian slang ...

A Cold One – Beer
Accadacca – How Aussies refer to Australian band ACDC
Ankle Biter – Child
Arvo – Afternoon (S’Arvo – this afternoon!)
Aussie Salute – Wave to scare the flies
Avo – Avocado
Bail – To cancel plans. ‘Bruce bailed’ = Bruce isn’t going to turn up.
Barbie – Barbecue
Bathers – Swimsuit
Beauty! – Great! Most often exclaimed as “You Beauty”
Billabong – A pond in a dry riverbed
Billy – Teapot (In the Outback on the fire)
Bloody – Very. Used to extenuate a point
Bloody oath – yes or its true. “You right mate?”… “Bloody Oath”
Bludger – Someone who’s lazy, generally also who relies on others (when it’s someone who relies on the state they’re often called a ‘dole bludger’)
Bogan – This word is used for people who are, well let’s say, rednecks. Or, if you like, just call your friends a bogan when they are acting weird.
Booze Bus – Police vehicle used to catch drunk drivers
Bottle-O – Bottle Shop, basically a place to buy alcohol
Brekky – Breakfast
Brolly – Umbrella
Bruce – An Aussie Bloke
Budgie Smugglers – Speedos
Bush – “Out in the bush” – “he’s gone bush” In the countryside away from civilisation
Cab Sav – Cabernet Sauvignon
Cactus – Dead, Broken
Choc A Bloc – Full
Choccy Biccy – Chocolate Biscuit
Chook – Chicken
Chrissie – Christmas
Ciggy – a Cigarette
Clucky – feeling maternal
Cobber – Very good friend. ‘Alright me ‘ol cobber’.
Coldie – Beer. ‘Come over for a few coldie’s mate.’
Coppers – Policemen
Crack the shits – Getting angry at someone or something
Crikey – an expression of surprise
Crook – Being ill or angry; ‘Don’t go crook on me for getting crook’
C*nt, the “C” word – Used when exchanging pleasantries between close friends or family member. If someone calls you the “C” word in Australia (and you haven’t done anything to make them angry), then breathe a sigh of relief… it means you have entered the mate zone.
Dag – Someone who’s a bit of a nerd or geek.
Daks – Trousers. ‘Tracky daks’ = sweatpants (tracksuit pants)
Dardy – meaning “cool”, is used amongst South West Australian Aboriginal peoples and has also been adopted by non-indigenous teens. – source
Deadset – True
Defo – Definitely
Devo – Devastated
Drongo – a Fool, ‘Don’t be a drongo mate’
Dunny – Toilet
Durry – Cigarette
Esky – An insulated container that keeps things cold (usually beers)
Facey – Facebook
Fair Dinkum – ‘Fair Dinkum?’ … ‘Fair Dinkum!’ = Honestly? … Yeah honestly!
Flannie / Flanno – flannelette shirt
Flat out – Really busy – “Flat out like a lizard drinking” – As busy as a bee
Footy – Football (AFL / Aussie Rules)
Frothy – Beer
F*ck Me Dead – that’s unfortunate, that surprises me
Furphy – rumours or stories that are improbable or absurd
G’day – Hello
Galah – an Australian cockatoo with a reputation for not being bright, hence a galah is also a stupid person.
Gnarly – awesome – often used by surfers
Going off – busy, lots of people / angry person “he’s going off”
Good On Ya – Good work
Goon – the best invention ever produced by mankind. Goon is a cheap, boxed wine that will inevitably become an integral part of your Australian backpacking experience.
Hard yakka – Hard work
Heaps – loads, lots, many
Hoon – Hooligan (normally driving badly!)
Iffy – bit risky or unreasonable
Knickers – female underwear
Lappy – Laptop
Larrikin – Someone who’s always up for a laugh, bit of a harmless prankster
Legless – Someone who is really drunk
Lollies – Sweets
Maccas – McDonalds
Manchester – Sheets / Linen etc. If you’re from England, finding a department within a shop called Manchester could seriously confuse you.
Mongrel – Someone who’s a bit of a dick
Mozzie – Mosquito
No Drama – No problem / it’s ok
No Worries – No problem / it’s ok
No Wucka’s – A truly Aussie way to say ‘no worries’
Nuddy – Naked
Outback – The interior of Australia, “The Outback” is more remote than those areas named “the bush”
Pash – to kiss
Piece of Piss – easy
Piss Off – go away, get lost
Piss Up – a party, a get together and in Australia – most social occasions
Piss – (To Piss) to urinate
Pissed – Intoxicated, Drunk
Pissed Off – Annoyed
Rack Off – The less offensive way to tell someone to ‘F Off’!
Rapt – Very happy
Reckon – for sure. ‘You Reckon?’… ‘I reckon!’
Rellie / Rello – Relatives
Ripper – ‘You little ripper’ = That’s fantastic mate!
Root Rat – someone who enjoys sex (maybe a little too much)
Rooted – Tired or Broken
Runners – Trainers, Sneakers
Sanger – Sandwich
Servo – Service Station / Garage
Shark biscuit – kids at the beach
Sheila – A woman
Shoot Through – To leave
Sick – awesome; ‘that’s really sick mate’
Sickie – a sick day off work, or ‘to pull a sickie’ would be to take a day off when you aren’t actually sick
Skull – To down a beer
Slab – A carton of beers
Snag – Sausage
Stiffy – Erection
Stoked – Happy, Pleased
Straya – Australia
Strewth – An exclamation of surprise
Stubby – a bottle of beer
Stubby Holder – Used so your hands don’t get cold when holding your beer, or to stop your hands making your beer warm!
Stuffed – Tired
Sunnies – Sunglasses
Swag – Single bed you can roll up, a bit like a sleeping bag.
Tea – Dinner
Tinny – Can of beer or small boat
Thongs – Flip Flops. Do not be alarmed if your new found Australian friend asks you to wear thongs to the beach. They are most likely expressing their concern of the hot sand on your delicate feet.
True Blue – Genuinely Australian
Tucker – Food. ‘Bush Tucker’ tends to be food found in the Outback such as witchety grubs.
Two Up – A gambling game played on Anzac day.
U-IE – to take a U-Turn when driving
Up Yourself – Stuck up
Woop Woop – middle of nowhere “he lives out woop woop”
Ya – You
Yous – (youse) plural of you!

https://nomadsworld.com/aussie-slang/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... =emb_title[/youtube]

Black Orchid

Re: Australian Slang

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Here's another one showing some of the differences between Americanisms and Australianisms .
bugger n. (American slang) Someone who is mildly but persistently annoying. This term has various meanings for Australasians, however, the most offensive of which is to refer to someone who engages in sodomy, which is not usually even discussed, much less practised, in polite company. Less offensive meanings include referring, sometimes affectionately, to someone who is a fool (``silly old bugger''), using it as an exclamation, and using the word for the act to describe a serious pain (``hurts like buggary'').

bum n. A low person, a tramp, a panhandler. An Australasian may think you are referring to pair of buttocks.

fanny n. (American slang) Buttocks. Fanny is an extremely offensive Australasian slang term for the female genitalia, so announcing to an Australasian that you ``patted your friend on the fanny'' can can leave him or her with decidedly the wrong impression. The word you are searching for is bum. The Australasian meaning of fanny is for some, however, being pushed into oblivion by the repetition of this innocuous American word in the theme song for the sitcom, The Nanny. The preferred Australasian term for fanny pack is bum bag.

freeze vt. (American slang) To anesthetize locally. If an Australasian suffered a wound, and you told him or her that you were going to freeze it before stitching it, he or she begin to have serious doubts about the quality of North-American health care.

go to the bathroom v. (American slang) To urinate or defecate. If you ask an Australasian for the location of the bathroom, you are just as liable to be shown a room containing only a bath. The word you are searching for is toilet.

luck out n. (American slang) To have good fortune. To Australasians, and particularly to New Zealanders, this means just the opposite. The equivalent Australasian term may be luck in.

mince [meat] n. Stew made from dried fruits such as currants, saltanas, and raisins. Australasians understand mince to be ground beef, or hamburger. A New Zealand mince pie, one of the major food groups in that country, will give you a very different taste sensation from what you are expecting. Australians don't really refer to a basic meat pie as a mince pie, but as a ``hob'oi''. One of Australia's national dishes, however, is mince on toast. But I digress. The Australasian term for a mince pie is fruit tart.

napkin n. Cloth or paper towel to protect the clothes while eating. Australasians refer to napkins as serviettes. Saying ``napkin'' may make Australasians think of a sanitary napkin, which is used to absorb menstrual blood.

Randy n. Abbreviation of the name Randolph. If you introduce someone to an Australasian as Randy, he or she will think that person wants to have sex. For example, if you say ``Hi, I'm Randy'', don't be surprised if your correspondent suggests you have a cold shower.

root vi. 1. To cheer for a sports team. Root is an offensive Australian slang verb meaning ``have sexual intercourse with''. Announcing to an Australian that you ``are a cheerleader, so you don't see many football games because you are in the stands rooting'' will give a misleading impression about your devotion to the team. 2. To grow roots. ``I rooted some plants'' is practised by vegiphiles in Australia. 3. To dig or rummage. ``I was rooting around in my room for the rent money'' is done only if an Australian does not actually have the rent money.
n. An Australian may take the noun to refer to his or her sexual partner. Even so, saying ``I tripped over a root'' will occasion only the tiniest frisson of delight in your Australian correspondent; he or she will understand.

varsity a. Referring to senior sports teams in schools, universities, and clubs. An Australasian, and particularly a New Zealander, may think you are referring to a university.

wet back n. An illegal immigrant into the US from Mexico. A New Zealander may think you are referring to an enclosed, wood- or coal-burning fire containing a connection to a house's hot water cylinder (although I admit the context would surely make this mistake unlikely).
https://sites.google.com/site/oshearobe ... tralasians

I don't agree with some of the above though. For instance I think "luck out" has the universal meaning of having good luck. I have never heard the term "luck in". lol

The "napkin" is a rubbish interpretation. Napkin/Serviette are both used. If someone asked me for a napkin I would NOT think they wanted a sanitary napkin. :b

The "mince" definition is a bit out there too. Yes, mince is ground beef/hamburger. I've never heard of a `hob'oi'' and mince on toast is not one of our national dishes.

This guy is tripping a bit. :rofl

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:21 pm

Famous few missing from that big list are

Shout- Your shout mate - Your turn to buy the drinks

Taking the piss ! - Making fun of someone in a friendly way

Turps -Alcohol - Redneck is on the turps again! (BO's favourite :yahoo )

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Two Pot Screamer - Someone who cant hold their liquor (A Pot is a small beer is some states of Oz)

as in (Redneck is a two pot screamer - me taking the Piss out of myself!) :yahoo

Couldn’t run a chook raffle: Unorganised/useless.

Dust up: A fight

Carrying on like a pork chop: Behaving silly.

Act the goat - Behave in a silly manner. 'Stop acting the goat'.

Two Headers -People from Tasmania

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Bastard - Can be used in both a positive and negative way.

'He was a real bastard!' (He is a prick, arsehole etc)

Or

'Where have you been, you old bastard ?' (Friendly)

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Mate. It all depends on how it is pronounced and by whom if it is an insult or a greeting.

As in, "Maate" or "Mate" or Maaaaaaaate". ;)
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:39 pm

Brick shit house (used as in "Built like a brick shithouse!") - Someone who is large and muscular. -- Glenn Lazarus -Arnold Schwarzenegger

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:48 pm

My favourite is "grubberment"....self explanatory....
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Aussie males call everybody "mate" , regardless of whether they know them or not - even female friends. I think it has something to do with the grog, (or the weather in Queensland) they obviously have a problem remembering names. :rofl