What is a god?
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

FLEKTARN

Re: Is there a God

Post by FLEKTARN » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am

Nom De Plume wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm
What is a god?

Bodiless, omnipotent being/s, a burst of energy, capable of creating new worlds. That's how I see it. Some people say this is God... Helix Nebula, or also The Eye of God. 694.7 light years away. For example, Mars, the closest planet to us, is 12.7 light minutes away from Earth. Not light years, not light hours, but light minutes. Now imagine 694.7 light years away. And it looks exactly like our own eyes. Ghastly, isn't it?

The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

Nom De Plume

Post by Nom De Plume » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 am

FLEKTARN wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:13 am
Nom De Plume wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm
What is a god?

Bodiless, omnipotent being/s, a burst of energy, capable of creating new worlds. That's how I see it. Some people say this is God... Helix Nebula, or also The Eye of God. 694.7 light years away. For example, Mars, the closest planet to us, is 12.7 light minutes away from Earth. Not light years, not light hours, but light minutes. Now imagine 694.7 light years away. And it looks exactly like our own eyes. Ghastly, isn't it?

Then by your definition, The Big Bang is evidence of your god.
Nothing left to say on the matter.

Moving on....
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

FLEKTARN

Post by FLEKTARN » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Big Bang or not, who knows really. Do the telescopes know? Doubt it.
The one that says the least can often have a very different perspective and hold the answer. The least qualified person may hold the most wisdom. When you don’t have knowledge or experience blocking your perspective, you can see problems and solutions.

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Go to the beach and pick up a handful of sand.

You will have approximately 1 million grains of sand in your hand.

Put one grain of sand on the end of your finger and compare it to the handful of sand you have in your hand.

That is the proportion of mass between Earth and the Sun.

There are approximately 100-200 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy, depending on which astronomy book you read.

That one grain of sand that you hold on the end of your finger could used to represent our Sun, which can then be compared to every grain of sand and dirt on planet Earth, and it would still fall short of the number of stars out there.

Scientists now tell us that dark matter exists and it is 90% of all the matter in the known universe, and we can not even see it.

There are billions of galaxies in the universe. Nobody knows how many planets, black holes, comets, moons, or asteroids exist in the universe but it is beyond imagination.

And religious teachers tell us that some God created every atom and molecule of all visible and invisible matter on every star, supermassive black hole, quasar, planet, moon, comet, and asteroid in billions of galaxies, in six days? And all for the benefit of one intelligent life form, on one insignificant blue planet, one of eight planets orbiting a very insignificant yellow dwarf main sequence star, in a very insignificant spiral galaxy among billions of others, who for almost all of their 200,000 year existence were unaware that beyond about 3000 stars visible from Earth, that the rest of the universe even existed.

Yeah, sure He did.

Neferti

Post by Neferti » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

There is no such thing as GOD. Fairies at the bottom of the garden? Nope. Aliens? Nope.

However, people have the need to think there is something after death. That's fine. Gives them "hope" on their death bed.

I do NOT believe in God or Heaven ..... however, the last time I saw my Mother, she was really "not well" and her GP didn't know what was wrong. I talked to him (with her) and that didn't help. I had a feeling that she was about to die. I sat with her and she said "I'm at peace" and she mentioned "Heaven", so I said something like "Dad will be there" and she said "but I am so old now, he won't know me" my reply to that was "When you get to Heaven, those there will remember you as you were the last time they saw you". That made her feel better. She died 2 days later. Told by her GP at the Funeral that all she needed was a "triple by-pass". Can you imagine what I told her GP at the Church? :mrgreen:

Bogan

Post by Bogan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am

"God made man in the image of himself."

Okay, so God is male.

1. Why would a self creating deity need to have a gender at all if there is no female deity?
2. What was God doing when there was nothing?
3. He wasn't doing anything because there was nothing to do.
4. What was he thinking?
5. He was not thinking anything because there was nothing to think about.
6. So then he gets an idea, and decides to create everything.
7. He careens around space, presumably at warp speed, getting big lumps of nothing and creating every atom, for millions of galaxies containing hundreds of billions of stars, as well us squillions of planets, asteroids, meteors, and giant gas clouds.
8. And all of this for the benefit of a race of people he also created, on one insignificant planet, around one insignificant star, one of 200 billion in the Milky Way galaxy, which is an insignificant galaxy among millions of other galaxies,. And this race of people for 99.99% of their 200,000 year history, did not even know that the rest of the universe even existed.

Sounds like bulllshit to me.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Bogan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am

Okay, so God is male.

1. Why would a self creating deity need to have a gender at all if there is no female deity?
4. What was he thinking?
7. He careens around space, presumably at warp speed, getting big lumps of nothing and creating every atom, for millions of galaxies containing hundreds of billions of stars, as well us squillions of planets, asteroids, meteors, and giant gas clouds.
8. And all of this for the benefit of a race of people he also created, on one insignificant planet, around one insignificant star, one of 200 billion in the Milky Way galaxy, which is an insignificant galaxy among millions of other galaxies,. And this race of people for 99.99% of their 200,000 year history, did not even know that the rest of the universe even existed.

What about the people who claim to have seen God or heard him?

Are you calling them liars?

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Bobby wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:57 pm
Bogan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:20 am

Okay, so God is male.

4. What was he thinking?

What about the people who claim to have seen God or heard him?

Are you calling them liars?
Seeing things and hearing things? Mentally ill.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Nicole wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Seeing things and hearing things? Mentally ill.

OK - so all those prophets and Bible characters were insane? or
- maybe they'd eaten magic mushrooms?
I can cope with that.