Dutton blocks 'violent' asylum seeker

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Black Orchid

Dutton blocks 'violent' asylum seeker

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Peter Dutton blocks transfer of 'violent' asylum seeker using medevac powers.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton will bar the father of an asylum seeker on Nauru accompanying his daughter to Australia for medical treatment.

An Iranian asylum seeker who has a history of violence is set to become the first person to be refused transfer to Australia under the medevac legislation.

Doctors had recommended the man accompany his 21-year-old daughter who will be moved from Nauru to Australia for psychological treatment.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton on Wednesday tabled documents in parliament detailing his decision to block the father on national security grounds.

"I reasonably believe the accompanying family member would expose the Australian community to a serious risk of criminal conduct and should not be transferred to Australia," Mr Dutton's statement reads.

The Home Affairs Department advised the minister that he had a "history of violent and manipulative behaviour, including allegations of physical assault against his children".

The minister also alleged he had been investigated by Nauruan Police Force for criminal activity, engaged in military service in Iran.

The department has also been unable to verify his identity.

The revelation comes as the government pushes to scrap the medevac legislation, which has allowed more than 130 asylum seekers and refugees to come to Australia for medical treatment, since February.

The medevac laws have given doctors more say over the transfer of sick refugees, who are often accompanied by family members for support.

Two doctors must approve the transfer which can also be reviewed by an independent health panel. The minister has the final say if an asylum seeker is a threat to national security.

The woman will instead be accompanied by her brother to Australia and has other relatives in the country.
More at ... https://www.sbs.com.au/news/peter-dutto ... vac-powers

List of known offences ...
■ A history of violent and manipulative behaviour, including assault, threats, damage to property

■ Allegedly been involved in drug ­importation into Nauru and distribution of drugs in his home country

■ Been involved in running a prostitution ring

■ A record of military service in the Middle East

■ Been involved in more than 200 incidents in Nauru

■ Allegedly physically assaulted his own children

■ Been treated for heroin addiction

■ Evaded identification by Australia’s security agencies
I am with Dutton on this. We really don't need to import more criminals.

brian ross

Re: Dutton blocks 'violent' asylum seeker

Post by brian ross » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm

A record of military service in the Middle East
Errr, isn't nearly everybody in Iran subject to conscription? This sounds like a furphy without any detail being provided. Dutton and the Dept. is rather prone to gilding the lily on such matters.

Apart from that, my only other argument is that perhaps his daughter needs his support, as part of her psychological treatment?

Otherwise, the other reasons are sufficient to prevent him from leaving Nauru.
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Her brother is coming with her for support, Brian.

Nom De Plume

Post by Nom De Plume » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:59 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Errr, isn't nearly everybody in Iran subject to conscription? This sounds like a furphy without any detail being provided. Dutton and the Dept. is rather prone to gilding the lily on such matters.

Apart from that, my only other argument is that perhaps his daughter needs his support, as part of her psychological treatment?

Loving that you brush over his criminal career, preferring instead to focus on conscription. Bravo!
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Nom De Plume wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:59 pm
brian ross wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Loving that you brush over his criminal career, preferring instead to focus on conscription. Bravo!
You appear to have missed my final sentence, Nom. :roll:

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:41 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:44 pm
Her brother is coming with her for support, Brian.
Good. Excellent in fact. However, Dutton doesn't even want that to happen, now does he? :roll:

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Great news, thanks Peter Dutton
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Outlaw Yogi

Post by Outlaw Yogi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Doctors had recommended the man accompany his 21-year-old daughter who will be moved from Nauru to Australia for psychological treatment.
My understanding of Oz's immigration laws is that potential migrants must be free of any diseases.

My understanding of mental health problems is psychological disorders are diseases.

So it seems the refugee and asylum regime is just a method to evade/abrogate our immigration rules.

That relates to the daughter.

The character in question has a known history of criminality, that has continued while being an asylum seeker.

Q: So why are lefties trying to import criminals?
A: Because it's part of their 'Destroy Western Civilisation' agenda.
If Donald Trump is so close to the Ruskis, why couldn't he get Vladimir Putin to put novichok in Xi Jjinping's lipstick?

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:26 pm

Outlaw Yogi wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:53 pm
My understanding of Oz's immigration laws is that potential migrants must be free of any diseases.

My understanding of mental health problems is psychological disorders are diseases.

So it seems the refugee and asylum regime is just a method to evade/abrogate our immigration rules.

That relates to the daughter.

The character in question has a known history of criminality, that has continued while being an asylum seeker.

Yeah, sure, whatever, Yogi. :roll:

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:13 am

Outlaw Yogi wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Nah, the answer is that they are prepaired to do ANYTHING to make the current government look bad. The old don't worry about the consiquences until you have to deal with it, then make up a story that everybody will believe.