The humanities may seem pointless, but that is the point

Sciences, Environmental/Climate issues, Academia and Technical interests
Redneck

Re: The humanities may seem pointless, but that is the point

Post by Redneck » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm

brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:05 pm
Good on him, Red. A degree isn't everything to everybody. A degree however shows that an individual has the wherewithal to learn and research a topic and indicate they have sufficient understanding to demonstrate that they know what they are talking about.

I have also an Masters and Doctor of Divinity degrees. They are both useful to me. I intend to get a PhD after I retire (when I have time).

What about you?
I am almost 75 Brian , what do you think I plan to do in that area?

:lol:

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:11 pm
brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:07 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:04 pm
brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:40 pm
Nicole wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05 am
If my 17 year old son, who I have just spent a fortune educating, wanted to do a BA I’d be gutted.

I had a friend who did a BA. She ended up a bank teller.
I have a Ba, "Nicole". I earn over 100K a year. There are Bas and their are difference Bas and it all depends on how you use what you learnt. Bas can be excellent learning tool in teaching rational thinking. They can also be useless as well - just as BScs and other degrees. To "be gutted" by your son learning and earning a degree suggests what about you? :roll
:b
Do you have any qualifications, Black Orchid? Any at all? Ever been to university? Ever been near a university? Ever? :roll
Feeling the pressure, Brian, so you go for the attempted condescension? We've been through this before, several times in fact. I am sorry that your mind is so muddled that you cannot seem to remember.
So, you know all about University do you? Really? When did you graduate, Black Orchid? What was your degree majoring in? Where was it conferred? :roll
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:15 pm

Redneck wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm
brian ross wrote:
Good on him, Red. A degree isn't everything to everybody. A degree however shows that an individual has the wherewithal to learn and research a topic and indicate they have sufficient understanding to demonstrate that they know what they are talking about.

I have also an Masters and Doctor of Divinity degrees. They are both useful to me. I intend to get a PhD after I retire (when I have time).

What about you?

I know of a couple of over 90 year olds who have gained PhDs, Red. It is never too late to learn.
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 pm

brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:15 pm
Redneck wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:13 pm
brian ross wrote:

What about you?

I know of a couple of over 90 year olds who have gained PhDs, Red. It is never too late to learn.
How do they pay off the HECS?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:23 pm

brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:14 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:11 pm
brian ross wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:07 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:04 pm
brian ross wrote:

I have a Ba, "Nicole". I earn over 100K a year. There are Bas and their are difference Bas and it all depends on how you use what you learnt. Bas can be excellent learning tool in teaching rational thinking. They can also be useless as well - just as BScs and other degrees. To "be gutted" by your son learning and earning a degree suggests what about you? :roll
:b
Do you have any qualifications, Black Orchid? Any at all? Ever been to university? Ever been near a university? Ever? :roll
Feeling the pressure, Brian, so you go for the attempted condescension? We've been through this before, several times in fact. I am sorry that your mind is so muddled that you cannot seem to remember.
So, you know all about University do you? Really? When did you graduate, Black Orchid? What was your degree majoring in? Where was it conferred? :roll
Like I said above. Can you read Brian?

We have been through this before and I answered your idiotic attempts at patronisation then. If you can't remember that's not my problem. There are plenty of tools available on the internet for checking your dementia.

You really get nasty when challenged and it's not a good look.

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:25 pm

brian ross wrote:
Nicole wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05 am
If my 17 year old son, who I have just spent a fortune educating, wanted to do a BA I’d be gutted.

I had a friend who did a BA. She ended up a bank teller.
1) you would have got a job in IT with or without a BA. Tell me, how do you find your BA useful in your daily working life?; and
2) if they are an “excellent learning tool in teaching rational thinking” how come a humble factory worker and a humble electrician have managed to twist your “logic” into knots for years?

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Brian why do you sound like a condescending smug prick when replying to other posters ?

Or am I mistaken?

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 pm

I know half a dozen people with a PhD and they are all stark raving bonkers. Waste of time in old age.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Black Orchid wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 pm
I know half a dozen people with a PhD and they are all stark raving bonkers. Waste of time in old age.
"Academic Dickheads" was what they were often referred to.

I asked the question about HECS as I do wonder what the rules are these days regarding repayment if one isnt still working as it is normally through you payroll tax.

Does it come out of the old persons estate as the are obviously not still working .

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:56 pm

If you're an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder, or a New Zealand citizen, you won't need to pay tuition fees for your research degree, as long as you complete your degree within:

4 years full-time (or equivalent) for doctoral students (PhD and professional doctorate)
2 years full-time (or equivalent) for research masters students.
Within this period, your fees are automatically covered by the Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) Fees Offset (Domestic). This program covers tuition fees only, and you must pay any other study-related costs.

If you take longer than the specified time to complete your degree, you may be charged tuition fees for the rest of your study.
https://www.qut.edu.au/research/study-w ... rch-degree
If you reside in Australia and are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen, the following applies to you.

PhD
The Commonwealth Government will normally cover the cost of your tuition through Research Training Program (RTP) Fee Offset places. However, you may incur additional fees in some circumstances.

PhD (Integrated)
Year 1: The first year of this program is normally full fee paying. You may access the FEE HELP scheme to defer payment. You may also be eligible for a Research Training Program (RTP) Fee Offset place.

Years 2-4: The Commonwealth Government will normally cover the remaining cost of your tuition through Research Training Program (RTP) Fee Offset places. However, you may incur additional fees in some circumstances.
https://www.vu.edu.au/study-at-vu/how-t ... philosophy

Seems the cost is covered by the Government which is fine if you are going to put it to work back into society. I know a 93 year old obtained her PhD a few years ago but if you just want to spend your time in a book just for the heck of it I don't think it should be funded by the Government imo.