Should more SUPER be stolen from workers ?

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Juliar

Should more SUPER be stolen from workers ?

Post by Juliar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:13 am

The TRUTH about the widespread rorting of SUPER by unions and the SUPER Industry are leaking out now.

More SUPER means LESS wages in the pocket.

Get ready for a battle royale over superannuation
By John Beveridge -  February 7, 2020

The unions and the Super Industry are the only beneficiaries of higher SUPER stolen from workers

The battle lines over the future shape of superannuation in Australia is now being formed after the government’s review into retirement income concluded with a report due by June.

Already the review has been seen as highly political with significant pressure to change the planned schedule of rises in superannuation from the current 9.5% to 12% by 2027.

As it turned out, there were plenty of suggestions in both directions.

Unions want super increased to 15% with a fast track for women
As you might expect, the ACTU recommended an increase in the super guarantee to 15% together with a fast track for women so they could get their balances up more quickly.

At the other end of the scale was Sydney University economist Dr Cameron Murray who said the current superannuation system should be wound down and replaced by the Age Pension because it is much more efficient.

He said scrapping the super system would massively improve Australia’s economic performance and argued that the current super system is ‘costly, inefficient, unnecessary, and incredibly unfair.’

The super system required 55,000 people and $36 billion per year in fees, while the pension required just 7,000 staff and $1 billion in administration costs.

Winding down super would boost the economy
Dr Murray suggested people who have already accrued superannuation should be given $20,000 a year to spend in order to slowly and safely dismantle the current system, which would in turn help to boost the economy.

“Most people will not spend the maximum from their super account, but there is no doubting the stimulatory effect of this change for the real economy — something that is sorely needed as wages reach nearly a decade of stagnation,’’ he said.

Most of the other submissions came somewhere in between those extremes so there is plenty of scope for the review to come up with a wide range of recommendations, with the only certainty being that some people will be very annoyed with what is recommended.

Review sure to be a political football
The recommendations are also certain to turn into a political football with any efforts to slow down or scrap the legislated rises of the super guarantee sure to be opposed by the Labor party.

Some of those more in the middle with their submissions included the Grattan Institute household finances program director Brendan Coates who warned that increasing payments to super to help women and disadvantaged people could end up harming their financial future.

As part of its submission to the review, the Grattan Institute produced research showing that increases in the super guarantee were largely paid for by workers in the form of lower wage rises.

Higher super leads to lower wages?
‘‘Lifting compulsory superannuation would leave low-income earners, including many women, under even more financial stress while working,’’ Mr Coates said.

He also said that the planned increase in compulsory super should be abandoned, with a boost in rent assistance a better idea to help those at risk of poverty in retirement.

Liberal senator Andrew Bragg said the superannuation industry had gotten away ‘‘without much scrutiny’’ and also argued that contributions should not be increased.

‘‘It is a common thread across the board, banks and unions … It’s always their solution that the answer is more and more super,’’ he said.

The Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees recommended the government stick to the increase in the guarantee to 12% and also suggested an increase in rent assistance.

So, the trillion dollar fight is really going to be on once the recommendations come out in June.

https://smallcaps.com.au/get-ready-for- ... annuation/

billy the kid

Re: Should more SUPER be stolen from workers ?

Post by billy the kid » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:56 am

The compulsory auper levy is a con...it stifles business....it should be abolished....
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire
Its coming...the rest of the world versus islam....or is it here already...

The Reboot

Post by The Reboot » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Given that the grubberment will likely raise the retirement age to 108 by the time I get up there to enjoy my super, I agree. Abolish it. It's bullshit. :roll:

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:09 pm

I have always been of the opinion that young men and women need money for more necessary items
in their late teens early 20s...compulsory superannuation is not necessary at that age.
Motor vehicles are expensive, rent is expensive, and if anyone wants to save the deposit to buy a home,
its probably nearly impossible...this is not even considering the high cost of furniture and petrol....
The compulsory super levy if not abolished, should at least be shelved until someone reaches, say, the age of 25.
Then perhaps it could kick it at maybe 5%.
The grubberment, if they had half a brain, would make some changes to what is in place at the moment.
The compulsory superannuation levy, as it stands at the moment is far too stringent, and if employers were
freed of it, maybe they could employ more staff...and even pay a bonus here and there...
With the corona virus, bush fires, the possibility of a global recession, the budget currently taking a hit,
it would be sensible for the grubberment to bite the bullet and relax the CSL somewhat....
To discover those who rule over you, first discover those who you cannot criticize...Voltaire

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 pm

I see the grubberment want to increase the compulsory super levy to 15%.
If that occurs, you can say goodbye to any wage growth, and many businesses will go to the wall...
The economy will suffer, and they may have to cut penalty rates even further to "stimulate"
the economy..(ie in other words stop businesses from going to the wall)
All the while young men and women if they go to uni and graduate, they leave with a HECS bill,
and if the grubberment had any brains graduates could be exempt from the CSL, and in lieu, have
their CSL appropriated to their HECS debt...
But that would be too complicated for this moronic grubberment to even consider... :rofl

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:50 pm

15% ?

i think that is bullshit!

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Big jump from the 9.5% today...
15% on say $50k pa is $7500....lotta dough for an employer to fork out.... :shock:

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 pm

Let me see if I get this right.

Super requires your employer to invest, on the worker's behalf 7.5% of their salary/wage into a superannuation fund of the worker's choice, right?

Now, when the worker retires/dies they receive that money plus whatever interest it has earnt in meantime, right?

How is the money "stolen", Billy? Theft has it that an item or funds are taken from someone and not returned to them, right? :roll :roll
Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:38 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 pm
Let me see if I get this right.

Super requires your employer to invest, on the worker's behalf 7.5% of their salary/wage into a superannuation fund of the worker's choice, right?

Now, when the worker retires/dies they receive that money plus whatever interest it has earnt in meantime, right?

How is the money "stolen", Billy? Theft has it that an item or funds are taken from someone and not returned to them, right? :roll :roll
Why are you trolling me brian...where did I say in my posts that the super was stolen.
The context of my posts suggests, correct me if Im wrong, that the CSL should be abolished for workers under 25..etc..
Your post should be directed to the OP...not me....
I do know a little about the offence of stealing....(intent to permanently deprive the owner thereof....)

billy the kid

Post by billy the kid » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Cant get my head around this....
Been hearing lately that there is a push by the Victorian Labor Government to increase the compulsory superannuation levy
up to 15%...why stop there...lets make it 20...25.....
Been also hearing that women's advocates want the CSL to be added to paid parental leave....ffs...
Been hearing that Australia rates poorly with the rest of the world with paid parental leave being only 18 weeks
in comparison to up to 52 weeks in other parts of the world...52 weeks...gimme a break...
Been hearing that "they" want the threshold of $450 for the minimum wage attracting CSL to be abolished.
All this whilst the Chamber of Commerce states that it is not sustainable...
All this whilst the employee is replaced by another employee to do the job in the absence of the employee
on government paid parental leave...and the employer will have to pay his/her CSL as well.... :stop
Of course, if you work in the public service and an employee is absent...you are told that you are all part of a team
(which is a con) and the absent worker is not replaced...you all just pick up the slack..any extra hours are compensated
by flexi time credits...no flexi time in private enterprise ladies..... :rofl
So as well as the employer having to pay extra CSL (15%)..(good luck with that Andrews....) "they" want the threshold
scrapped and "they" want the CSL added to paid parental leave....the poor dears are being discriminated against just
for having a baby... :rofl
Can the economy afford it...no...will it happen...probably....
AS my late father said about women....the more you give them, the more they want.... :yahoo
Nothing fkn changes...….
The whole superannuation system in Australia has become a farce...an absolute farce...and Im not
even going to talk about the mess that the SMSF sector is in....
Maybe we should give everyone whatever they want...simple....just print more money....
Mr Powell....come on down.....where the bloody hell are you.... :du