SpaceX launch

Self evident. Any special interest matter can be raised here, including current affairs which might not suit either of the Politics Forums.
Black Orchid

SpaceX launch

Post by Black Orchid » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Meanwhile Demo-2 was launched successfully on the weekend. A great achievement lost amongst the rioting. Tesla share price has doubled since December. I wish I had some.
SpaceX launched NASA astronauts into space for the first time on Saturday – the company’s first human passengers and the first time people have ever flown a commercially developed spaceship.

This mission was the product of NASA’s Commercial Crew program, a partnership between the space agency and two private companies (Boeing is the other) to build spaceships that can ferry astronauts to and from the International Space Station. It was the first time the US launch its own astronauts from American soil since 2011.

NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley safely arrived at the space station on Sunday morning.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/phot ... ?r=US&IR=T

Texan

Re: SpaceX launch

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:07 am

The technology is improving. Instead of a cluttered cockpit with gauges and switches, the astronauts have LCD touchscreen displays and stylish and more modern space suits. I think all of the boosters and modules are reusable. We may have given a lot of technology away, but we are now leaving much of that behind anyway.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:27 am

Yeah it seemed to go off without hitch, it seemed a lot smaller vehicle than I had imagined.

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:59 am

Redneck wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:27 am
Yeah it seemed to go off without hitch, it seemed a lot smaller vehicle than I had imagined.
Its much smaller than the Space Shuttle and can't support all of the cargo and science experiments, but it will carry 7 people and can shuttle and connect with other missions. Its seems to be a very versatile transport.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:23 am

What an amazing experience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Texan

Post by Texan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:03 pm

The military applications for this technology could be a game changer. Imagine manned military space stations tracking aircraft, tracking asteroids, spying on enemies, housing missile batteries and laser weapons. Orbital refueling station for flights between manned posts? Specialized shuttle craft to ferry between space stations with smaller fuel efficient rockets that can tow supplies and act as "tug boats" or "service and repair trucks" or "rescue vehicles" in space. We have no idea what Trump is doing with the new Space Force. Anything we use for space exploration can be used in military applications. Other countries are taking notes on the past weekend.

What's the turnaround on the reuse of the equipment launched the other day? Ship it to the launch site, test the equipment, reassemble, refuel, relaunch. 90 days? If you have multiple modules, you can rotate every 45-60 days or coordinate 2 launches to build another large project. Most of it can be sent to the assembly point unmanned, so crew safety concerns won't extend the turnaround times.

Mortdooley

Post by Mortdooley » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 pm

https://www.lifewire.com/5g-internet-wifi-4156280

I will just be happy when they get enough of those low orbit satellites so I can have home internet. We had it but the demand for bandwidth became so great our less than 1Mbps for $85.00/month was a waste. We became so used to tethering our cell phones during outages for home internet I decided to do it full time until something truly better becomes available. Xfinity tells me I am 1200 feet from their service and it would be too expensive for them to bring it to me.
Taxpayers are the modern equivalent of Hebrew slaves building the pyramids for the Egyptian political class.

Texan

Post by Texan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:06 am

I used my cell for home internet for years. Cable just became available in my neighborhood last year. I just got cable TV and 200M internet for $100/ month.

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Yes,

Under Obama the Military was being shut down and the US lost space dominance..

He put the US in a very dangerous position..
Beware the Fury of a Patient Man Q WWG1WGA ▄︻╦デ╤一

Texan

Post by Texan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:33 am

The Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:54 pm
Yes,

Under Obama the Military was being shut down and the US lost space dominance..

He put the US in a very dangerous position..
Spot on. Here is a glaring example.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obam ... slim-world