Suicide numbers increase during lockdown

All things related to Coronavirus
Nom De Plume

Suicide numbers increase during lockdown

Post by Nom De Plume » Sat May 23, 2020 5:59 pm

We suggested, at the beginning of April, that a "suicide wave" was imminent considering the economic devastation sparked by COVID-19 lockdowns. In the last nine weeks, 38.6 million Americans have lost their jobs and were thrown into instant poverty. Many were already skating on thin financial ice even before the pandemic, and now they've fallen through, drowning in insurmountable debts, no savings, and limited lifelines.
The first signs of a suicide wave could be originating in California. ABC7 News reports doctors and nurses at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek, in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area, are reporting deaths by suicide far exceed COVID-19 deaths during the pandemic.
The hospital's top trauma doctor, Dr. Mike deBoisblanc, told ABC7 that mental health has become a major problem during the shelter-in-place order.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/bay-ar ... -lockdowns
"But you will run your kunt mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

Texan

Re: Suicide numbers increase during lockdown

Post by Texan » Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 pm

I've been predicting this on an American forum for weeks. Obviously to deaf ears.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Texan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 pm
I've been predicting this on an American forum for weeks. Obviously to deaf ears.
Drat, mental health has been spoken about here a lot
Right Wing is the Natural Progression.

Texan

Post by Texan » Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 pm

It won't get media attention because it goes against the narrative.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Sun May 24, 2020 1:48 am

Texan wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 pm
It won't get media attention because it goes against the narrative.
The media is quite good with it here now. Mental health and getting help is quite commonly spoken about.
Various sporting people talk about their time with depression and getting help.

Good luck with it there.
It is important

Mortdooley

Post by Mortdooley » Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 am

Imagine being confined to an area under 800 square feet, inside an apartment with people who are bouncing off the walls. When we stayed home we had plenty of room and plenty to do. I earlier posted a list of all kinds of things I did during lockdown more as a dig against those people who always post how busy and tired they are. I wasn't fishing for compliments or sympathy just joking around. We never stayed home for more than three days although most trips out were short and we didn't infect anyone as far as I know. I know at least one couple who haven't ventured out yet for fear of infection.
Taxpayers are the modern equivalent of Hebrew slaves building the pyramids for the Egyptian political class.

sprintcyclist

Post by sprintcyclist » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:11 pm

Mortdooley wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:59 am
Imagine being confined to an area under 800 square feet, inside an apartment with people who are bouncing off the walls. When we stayed home we had plenty of room and plenty to do. I earlier posted a list of all kinds of things I did during lockdown more as a dig against those people who always post how busy and tired they are. I wasn't fishing for compliments or sympathy just joking around. We never stayed home for more than three days although most trips out were short and we didn't infect anyone as far as I know. I know at least one couple who haven't ventured out yet for fear of infection.
Wow.
We went out twice a day to bike or walk.
It was important for my mental well being

Mortdooley

Post by Mortdooley » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am

We are finding more friends and acquaintances who are afraid to venture out in public. We enjoy joining friends for Lunch but the number willing to chance it is surprisingly small. We have been to over a dozen restaurants since the start of the reopening, some appear almost normal while others might as well have stayed carryout only. Most of the fast food places with drive through have left dinning rooms closed because they are so busy with take outs.
Taxpayers are the modern equivalent of Hebrew slaves building the pyramids for the Egyptian political class.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:22 am

It's a sad world where people feel that they can't leave their homes. Lock down has created a lot of stress that many people just can't handle.

I don't go out as much as I did before but I do go out and whatever will be will be.