Gladys Liu boycotts WeChat over political interference concerns

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Black Orchid

Gladys Liu boycotts WeChat over political interference concerns

Post by Black Orchid » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:25 pm

Despite using WeChat to help win her the seat of Chisholm at the last federal election, Liberal MP Gladys Liu will stop using the Chinese messaging app over fears of political interference.

Her announcement comes after Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s WeChat account was reportedly ‘hijacked’, blocking his access and replacing it with pro-communist party messaging.

In a statement on Monday, Hong Kong-born Ms Liu described the “removal of Scott Morrison from WeChat” as “deeply disappointing” and said it raised serious concerns of political interference.

“Because of these concerns, I will no longer be using my official or personal WeChat accounts to communicate until the platform explains itself,” she said.

She also raised concerns about the impact on the upcoming election, pointing out that opposition leader Anthony Albanese’s account remained unaffected.

“In an election year especially, this sort of interference in our political processes is unacceptable, and this matter should be taken extremely seriously by all Australian politicians,” Ms Liu said.

Prior to Ms Liu’s announcement, Liberal senator James Paterson called on all Australian politicians to voluntarily boycott WeChat, saying “We cannot allow a foreign authoritarian government to interfere in our democracy and set the terms of public debate in Australia.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/unacce ... -c-5426304

I wouldn't trust Liu as far as I could throw her but we need to use common sense and stop the use of these Chinese social media apps in Australia.

Trevor P

Re: Gladys Liu boycotts WeChat over political interference concerns

Post by Trevor P » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:30 pm

The same Gladys Liu who used AEC colours to pressure Chinese into voting for the "correct party"?

Prime Minister for Canyons

Re: Gladys Liu boycotts WeChat over political interference concerns

Post by Prime Minister for Canyons » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:05 am

Trevor P wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:30 pm
The same Gladys Liu who used AEC colours to pressure Chinese into voting for the "correct party"?
The exact same. Shes correct about the political interference but she is also a massive hypocrite.