Is the current Abbott slur fatal to his leadership

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Rorschach

Re: Is the current Abbott slur fatal to his leadership

Post by Rorschach » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 am

Gillard is no longer a practising solicitor and I assume Abbott has learnt to keep his fists/paws to himself. All clever crooks have legal representation and I doubt few solicitors turn them away. It is part and parcel of their job to act on behalf of the corrupt as well as the innocent.
This is all just personal bias and dribble mantra much like you offered up in your Howard Hater days. Gillard wasn't a criminal lawyer BTW mantra, she wasn't a public defender. She stitched up a slush fund for her boyfriend and called it something else.
Apart from the boxing ring and the Rugby field (on which he was mostly on the receiving end apparently) Abbott has never hit anyone. No court cases, no witnesses ever. There's a slightly biased but pretty fair assessment by Grattan on this issue, I'll see if I can find it.
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:28 am

Abbott in a pickle over being a dill
September 15, 2012
Tony Wright
National affairs editor of The Age

HERE'S a confession. I have never, to my recollection, deliberately punched a wall. At the age of 20, if sufficiently fired up, I was usually aiming for someone's chin. And if I punched a wall, it was because I missed. At the age of 20, I was regularly too pie-eyed to see straight, and once chundered on a policeman's large boots.

Young blokes are idiots. Their brains are yet to get wired straight and they are often so charged with testosterone that they make donkeys of themselves. Well some are. Mostly footy players from what I've seen.

Show me a late-middle-aged man who doesn't have a story or two of squirm-inducing misbehaviour in his youth and I'll show you a terminal dork who probably wore his underpants too tight. Hey, they were never too tight.

Not many of us, of course, were hoping to become prime minister one day. Not an ambition I've ever held.

But the young Paul Keating was. More than 40 years ago he reportedly escaped into the night mounted on the back of a motorcycle ridden by his equally ambitious little mate, Laurie Brereton, a stuffed pre-selection ballot box balanced between them. It followed one of the regular chair-throwing dust-ups that passed for ALP branch meetings in Sydney when youthful warriors of the Right battled to dislodge the Left.

Bob Hawke, too, hankered for the prime ministership when he was a young fellow getting pissed, abusing anyone who didn't immediately understand his greatness, bedding women by the gross and generally behaving like a lair. He and Hazel in their youth got thrown out of their accommodation at the Australian National University for rowdy behaviour.

Peter Costello always wanted to be prime minister. As a university student, he got involved in such a furious exchange of ideas that he got thumped. Opinions were divided about what was worse - the punch or the fact that he blabbed about it to a reporter while recovering in bed.

Today's students, required to pay for their education and bent on getting a career, could hardly be expected to understand how rough, ready and frequently absurd were student politics in the 1970s. Melees, the tossing of abuse both physically, verbally and in print, the occasional siege of a vice-chancellor's office and skulduggery of all sorts were the daily fare of half-brained young men and quite a lot of young women shot to the eyeballs with ill-formed ideological lightning and substances both legal and illegal. The 1970s were another country.

Which, of course, brings us to Tony Abbott.

Currently under scrutiny for his attitude to women because, 35 years ago, he is said to have punched a wall either side of the head of a woman who had beaten him in a student election (and who he then enraged by calling her the ''chair-thing'' when she wanted to be known as the chairperson), Abbott has managed to tie himself into a rhetorical knot. First he couldn't recollect such an incident, then he denied it outright and now he's looking particularly awkward, protesting that he couldn't recollect something that didn't happen and blaming the story on a Labor ''dirt unit''.

He'd have helped himself if he'd ignored his advisers and admitted that, like a lot of the rest of us, he was an utter dill at 20. He's not accused of punching anyone, but a wall. Thirty-five years ago.

Abbott could throw a punch, mind. Back in those same university days, during a game of rugby, big Joe Hockey recognised a chance to take a bit of wind out of Abbott's sails. Abbott was sprawled on the ground and Joe dropped both of his knees into his kidneys. Figuring he'd done a good day's work, big Joe was mightily surprised when Abbott leapt to his feet and knocked his lights out. Gave him two black eyes. Joe's been retelling the story for years.

The new story about Abbott's assault upon a wall, of course, blends into polls showing he's not popular with voters, particularly women, and the current broader outcry about bullying in the workplace and on social media. He walks with the rolling gait of a colonial boss on a plantation. He's got to be a bully … why, he's been one since he was 20, as the story proves.

It does nothing of the sort. If it did, everyone who has ever behaved like spoiled, overexcited and unrestrained jackasses when they were young would have to be judged by the same measure. To do so would be to deny that people are capable of growing up and learning a bit about acceptable behaviour.

Julia Gillard has recently confronted old allegations about her behaviour when she was a young lawyer. It all went to the narrative about whether she was a trustworthy character, her accusers declared.

In the absence of any further evidence, it actually boiled down to this: as a young woman, she helped out a boyfriend with the principal skill she had to offer at the time - legal advice. That the rotter then used that advice to funnel ill-gotten gains to his own purposes does not, on the evidence known, mean that Ms Gillard took any knowing part in that. She simply made a bad choice as a young person in love. Who hasn't?

There are politicians of all sides shifting uneasily about the latest delirium concerning Abbott the younger.

''Of all the reasons I have to object to the idea of Abbott becoming prime minister, his antics all those years ago at university aren't among them,'' a senior ALP senator told me yesterday. ''God, if anyone dredged up the things we did at university we'd all be buggered.''

Best, surely, to judge those who wish to be prime ministers on their current behaviour.

Abbott can be damned for offering promises that make no apparent economic sense - canning the carbon and mining taxes while proposing to produce budget surpluses and making unspecified spending cuts that will pay for individual and social largesse - and for reducing his political message to ''turning back the boats'' and making freehanded doomsday prophecies about carbon pricing. We might find offence in his stance on all manner of social issues and worry about whether he has a handle on foreign policy.

But to spend much more time wringing our hands about whether he punched a wall and intimidated a woman in the overheated atmosphere of a university election 35 years ago, however cackhanded his current response to the matter might be, is to demand that we all be judged forever by the dunderheaded misjudgments of our bratling years.

For the record, I haven't chundered on a policeman's boots for 40 years or so.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/abbot ... z26ZzqcToK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DOLT - A person who is stupid and entirely tedious at the same time, like bwian. Oblivious to their own mental incapacity. On IGNORE - Warrior, mellie, Nom De Plume, FLEKTARD

AnimalMother

Post by AnimalMother » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:56 am

I've seen polling reports that indicate most voters don't give a shit about this latest smear.

The ALP has been personally attacking Abbott for so long, it's just background noise now.
Aqualung my friend -
Don't you start away uneasy
You poor old sod, you see,
It's only me

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 am

It'll be interesting to see the next polls come out to see what effect it has had.

mantra

Post by mantra » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 am

It seems the Coalition states are doing a better hatchet job on Abbott than Labor could possibly hope to do.
In one week, the NSW and Queensland governments effectively neutered two of Tony Abbott's attack lines against the Gillard government - school funding and the mining tax.

In doing so, the premiers showed that the state-federal loyalty between Liberals stretches only so far. The states, as they always have, will put their own interests first.

And in this vein, little by little, they are starting to talk about the GST - either broadening its application to such items as health and education, which the Senate exempted more than a decade ago, or increasing the rate above 10 per cent, or both.

The decision by the NSW government to freeze for four years funding for the private school sector, as part of its $1.7 billion in budget cuts to the education sector, shocked and infuriated federal Liberals, who regard the independent and Catholic school sector as heartland.

Reports appeared in the Herald in the days leading up to the announcement and Liberal MPs handing out how-to-vote cards at the local government elections said they were lobbied heavily by worried parents.

Abbott was none too pleased either. Some days before the announcement, he rang Barry O'Farrell to ask him to change his mind.

O'Farrell cut him off along the lines of: ''Tony, I know what you're going to say but I've got a budget to balance.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/ ... z26fhH0MfW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am

Well I agree that the states actions will have a bearing on the polls. But them Labor has left every state it governed in - a mess.

Be interesting to find out just exactly what those polled were reacting to.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Personally I think the current rabid attacks on Abbott are taking a toll in the popularity polls. This may be affecting the 2 party preferred, not that anyone has ever asked me.

But I think the following is insightful if unpopular with many biased commentators.
Nationals Senate leader Barnaby Joyce, despite recent differences with Mr Abbott over a Chinese consortium's bid for Cubbie Station, yesterday gave a strong defence of him. ''I stand unashamedly next to Tony Abbott,'' he told the Nationals' conference in Canberra.

''The person I see is not properly portrayed in the media - even though some of that is his fault. I wish he would stop 'square-gaiting' when he walks.''

Senator Joyce praised Mr Abbott's humanity and ability to listen. ''He is warm and engaging'' and ''listens to people around the table.'' He had the capacity ''to not get confounded in the rut of political correctness'' and he was guided by principle.

Referring to the controversy over whether Mr Abbott behaved in an intimidating fashion in 1977 to a woman who beat him in a student election by punching the wall, Senator Joyce said: ''I have got no idea what he did 35 years ago and I don't care.''

Deputy Opposition Leader Julie Bishop said the controversy was part of a ''blatant and orchestrated campaign of character assassination''.

''There are a lot of people in Australia who would do anything and say anything to protect the Gillard government,'' she told Channel Ten.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politi ... z26hEr95vm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm

A comment from the rubbish article by that doyen of the Prog Left Robert Manne.
(Whom seems to have suddenly forgotten how wrong he's been in the past).
Robert Manne says that Tony “Abbott was at the time a campus operative of a party linked to B. A. Santamaria’s conservative Catholic National Civic Council”. This is confusing. He can’t mean the Democratic Clubs as they were not a political party. He can’t mean the DLP, which did not exist outside of Victoria by 1977 and did not have “campus operatives”. Nor did you have to be a Catholic to join a Democratic Club. Nor were the Democratic Clubs affiliated with the DLP, though many of their members would have been DLP supporters. Tony Abbott, like several ALP MPs, comes from a DLP family, but I doubt he was ever an actual member of the DLP.

I have no idea if the incident happened or not. It would not surprise me if it did. Equally, it would not surprise if those accusing him made it up or exaggerated it as my experience at La Trobe University in the early 1970s was that extremists on the left had no compunction about telling lies or indulging in violence.

David Marr’s original essay lacks a real understanding of the politics of the time. It is reliant on stereotypes that later events undermine; e.g., of the members of the La Trobe University Democratic Club whose ultimate political destination I know, four ended up in the ALP and one in the Australian Democrats. I will respond at greater length directly to the publication.

Chris Curtis
(Chairman, La Trobe University SRC, 1972-73)
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politi ... z26hw5zfOT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

It would seem, suddenly, it's... the Liberals fight back!
Tears and Downton Abbey: Abbott's other side
* by: GEMMA JONES - POLITICAL REPORTER
* October 05, 2012 12:00AM

THE woman closest to Tony Abbott has revealed intimate details of their private life together, including how he was a "wreck" when she suffered a miscarriage.

His wife of 24 years, Margie Abbott doesn't enjoy public attention or fit the mould of a political spouse.

But in response to claims her husband has a problem with women, she agreed to a wide-ranging interview with News Ltd about their family life with their three daughters.

When asked if Mr Abbott had cried at the births of their children, Louise, 23, Frances, 21, and Bridget, 19, Mrs Abbott disclosed a personal tragedy which shattered the Opposition Leader.

"He was emotional (at their births) and if I may tell you a very personal story there was an occasion where I actually had a miscarriage between daughters one and two," she said.

"I kept it all together, but Tony was a wreck.

"Having a child is a very happy time, but I don't think tears were part of that (when their daughters arrived safely). Certainly he felt it when I miscarried."

As the Abbott girls were growing it was their father who was the soft touch.

"I am the tough one in the family. He is the soft touch and as a result he has a wonderful relationship with the girls which sometimes I am a little envious of," she said.

"That is the price you pay for making sure the rules are followed in the Abbott house."

She added: "Our girls have been happy to do all kinds of things with their father, from canoeing to kayaking to mountain climbing, almost."

Mrs Abbott talks of a husband who calls twice a day, morning and night, no matter where he is travelling, which is often to several capital cities in a week.

When he is at home in Sydney, Mrs Abbott says her husband is happy to unload the dishwasher, barbecue dinner, get Indian takeaway, or clean the kitchen after she makes dinner.

If they watch a sad movie together he will get "teary," she said.

Mr Abbott said he was embarrassed he became "sooky" in The Year My Voice broke, one of the first movies the couple saw together.

"Just to give you an idea of how it happens in the Abbott household, I'll be grabbing the remote control saying `Can I watch the footy, please?' he will be saying `Oh, but I would really like to watch Downton Abbey,"' Mrs Abbott said.

"So that's the sort of contradiction we have in the Abbott household. The short answer is yes, he likes those sensitive movies and I am very happy watching the footy."

Bridget Abbott is preparing for a month of volunteer duties in a village in Cambodia while Louise is about to begin a new job in Europe, leaving just Frances at home for Christmas.

"I was just checking our credit card bill and there was an amount. I said to him `What's this about?"' Mrs Abbott said.

"Louise is just starting a job in Europe. He purchased for her a little compendium which is going to be waiting on her desk for her first day at work. That was a very touching thing for me and that's what he does. He didn't make a song and dance about it."

For their 24th wedding anniversary last month, Mr Abbott was on the road and sent his wife a bunch of flowers.

"What did I buy Tony for our anniversary? Well, I let the side down. I wished him a happy anniversary," she said.

Mr Abbott interjected: "What Margie gave me for my anniversary was putting up with a politician for a husband."

mantra

Post by mantra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 pm

What else is she supposed to say about him? He has to be portrayed as a good family man - but when you think about it - how much time did he actually have for his family? He was into his marathons - biking and swimming which took him away from home for days, sometimes weeks at a time. He was also an extremely busy politician in the Howard government - ten years at the beck and call of a megalomaniac would have kept him away from his family. He was burnt out when Howard had finished with him and for the last few years he's been opposition leader - a very demanding job.

I doubt he's spent much time at all with his wife and kids over the last fifteen years.
Rorschach wrote:
Tony Wright wrote:Show me a late-middle-aged man who doesn't have a story or two of squirm-inducing misbehaviour in his youth and I'll show you a terminal dork who probably wore his underpants too tight.
Hey, they were never too tight.
That's revealing.

[EDITED BY ADMIN - Correcting quote attributions]