Working visitors

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Rainbow Moonlight

Working visitors

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:12 am

Might be a good idea to allow tourists to take on casual work while here. If it needs to be done and no-one else is doing it, why not? Would also put more dollars in their pockets to spend here.

freediver

Re: Working visitors

Post by freediver » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:03 am

Plenty of young European tourists are picking fruit in Australia. Note sure what their visa situation is, but it seems like a good idea.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:19 pm

The Taxi Industry is screaming for drivers. Yet, the stoopid Gubment has put alien but legal residents on visa which mean they can only work 20 hours per week.

There are some Owners who have such people driving for them. The ensuing argument then is....if the driver is in the Cab for 20 hours, must he stop work? Dunno what Industry view on that is yet, but my own view is that yes, he's been in the Cab 20 hours but he ain't been working for all of them. For a great deal of them, he is sitting idle waiting for work.

freediver

Post by freediver » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Isn't taxi driving one of the least appropriate jobs for foreigners, because it requires familiarity with local streets?

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:47 pm

These are aliens with residency. One bloke I know of is a Frenchman who has been living here for a few years. He knows the area well. I am nor referring to instant drivers who just got off the boat.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:15 am

Yeah it's really smart how we complain about all these foreigners coming here and bludging off welfare when we legislatively prevent them from earning a living through employment.

Freediver, if a tourist is unfamiliar enough to be bad at driving a taxi, they won't get employment in that industry... just like everyone else. There's no need to legislate against even considering any non-citizen for the job. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal