Crash

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Mattus

Crash

Post by Mattus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:23 pm

They keep falling, don't they? It's merger or die for the rest.

"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal

JW Frogen

Re: Crash

Post by JW Frogen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 am

Just as the Russian invasion of Georgia and Obama's muddled response hurt him this financial crises will hurt Mac.

The Republicans are the party of de-regulation, and this is a crises caused by de-regulation.

Obama has the mood of the country on this one; sort of we have to rein these big financial instructions in they have moved from market investing to outright gambling.

Where as Mac is tied to the old cut taxes and let the magic of the market work it out. (He did not need to take this route as he is tough on wasteful spending but no ideologue on economics, he did simply to appease the right wing of his party.)

boxy

Post by boxy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:40 pm

It's about time that this generation of yuppies was reminded that "investment" does not equal risk free, money for nothing.
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Yet still the cashed up Yuppies are buying up bargains.

Life is not fair, life is rational.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:29 am

JW Frogen wrote: ... life is rational.
LOL

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:58 am

It is completely rational if you are honest enough to acknowledge its nature.

Monogamy is like religion, nice in theory impossible in reality.

Money and power are what they are, and they matter. Idealism cannot change their nature.

You get what you give, but never what you think deserve.

You will die, so better live the way your bliss tells you to.

Life is completely rational if you are.

Now is life kind? That is up for debate.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:01 pm

JW Frogen wrote:It is completely rational if you are honest enough to acknowledge its nature.

Money and power are what they are, and they matter. Idealism cannot change their nature.

I bet that sounded "rational", perhaps even inciteful...

... with a skinfull 8-)
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Hey, you can look at life in the eye or just past it bye.

It is all up to you.

And I am pretty sure which route you have chosen Boxy.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 pm

JW Frogen wrote:It is completely rational if you are honest enough to acknowledge its nature.

You have an understanding of what life is? LMAO

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:03 am

AiA in Atlanta wrote:
You have an understanding of what life is? LMAO
Everyone has an understanding of what life is (even a pessimist who believes he is a failure and is trapped in Atlanta) for life is what we choose to live. And make no mistake, it is our choice.

But not everyone has an understanding of what life can be.

Putting aside the idiot minimalism of the quoted post I will still give it a dignity it does not inherently have and throw out a few thoughts in response I know the poster has little chance of understanding.

Still, why not?

There are always certain blocks to life as possible rather than life as lived, personal fear, religious blocks, ideological or economic habits, personal narratives told to ourselves time and time again.

The way one finds the most possibilities is through experience of the world either through travel or intellectually from reading those who have pioneered possibilities then or now. So one sees what they thought were the limitations of life were simply self imposed limits.

For instance. T. Z. Suzuki was long dead when I traveled to Japan, but he still taught me much about the deeper aspects of Japanese culture as influenced by Zen, and so because I traveled to Japan with him I got more possibility out of Japan than someone say who just went to work, buy things and never left their cultural bubble.

Or from reading Raymond Carver and Bukowski I realised I may like to write poetry, did, and had some even published. That was not a possiblity for me ten years ago, because I did not believe it.

There is one other factor I think important, especially for the habituates of this forum, and that is a realization that a self-cultivation of pessimism is not really wisdom (though you may tell yourself this is so, it may be a comfortable self narrative) it is really a negation of life’s possibilities, a form of slow suicide.

One can never really know from an internet forum but from years on PA I have observed the definite plurality of posts were that of a pessimistic suicide cult on everything from Iraq, to domestic politics, to even art and culture.

The flow of the forum was woe is me look how wise I am to see how bad things are.

Not a way to make either your life or the world better.