Crash

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Rainbow Moonlight

Re: Crash

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:20 am

I don't think life is rational, re your earlier claims Frogen.

I also think as people change and grow the things or actions that give their life meaning to them may also change or grow, which in a way makes it harder to pin down and points only to the need to be open to change but also strong in your values and morality.

For me the things that have given and do give my life meaning are my children, my husband, my ex-husband, my parents, my sister and brother, my writing, the people I interacted with in school and university, and being able to use my brain and converse cosntructively and practice empathy constructively.

Frogen Popping Fresh

Post by Frogen Popping Fresh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:58 am

You have just contradicted your self, you claim in the first paragraph life is not rational, but life is what we choose to live, in the second paragraph you give the basis of what makes life important to you, how you choose to live.

Now we can choose to live irrationally, to let life just take us without any will, but your claims that those aspects you have cultivated in your life give it meaning is rational, hence you are choosing a rational basis for life, at least at those times.

Italian Princess

Post by Italian Princess » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:29 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:
JW Frogen wrote:
helian wrote: In the immortal words of Rumsfeld Stiltskin "... There are known unknowns. That is to say We know there are some things we do not know."
Of course AIA life is what you know, that is my point oh simple one, what YOU know is simply the problem here, hence your whiney-pussy protest about getting personal (whining being the guiding principal of your life) and your inability to understand the boundaries of a modern city like Westminster (stupidity being the principal behind your guiding principal).

So your posts, as I suspect your life (when not simply vulgar retarded frat boy slogans) are full of crying about the impossibility of possibility. Which is, I have little doubt, your experience.

I will take the Helian quote at face value, even if it is not quite in response to what I wrote. (Rumsfeld being as wrong about human interaction as he was about prosecuting a pretty easy war.)

But he is correct in one aspect, no human can ever be entirely known.

But humans can be known to significant degree, and our personal experience can be transformed from informing ourselves about their personal experience either directly, through travel or even after they have died through books.

Indeed this is a prerequisite to a meaningful life, learning from people who have demonstrated more potential than we currently have.

To say this is impossible is to throw oneself into a black hole, a narcissistic void of meaningless isolation.

As I said, life is what you choose to live, which is dependent on your belief in it's possiblities.

If you do not believe that you may end up in that empty black hole, and you do not want to be there, just ask AIA.

He is still trying to figure out where Westminster is.
My, the assumptions you make! If those English House posts still exists somewhere you would see that I never commented on the specifics regarding the location of your house (I am clueless on the boundaries of London). I simply stated (see above) that I had a chuckle over the affair. It was entertainment. Pure PA Gold. You should be proud.

I am not disagreeing with the value of creating possibility in one's life. I am thinking, however, what tedious reading your make-believe account of my stance in life must make for other Political Animals.
Mi Casa Su Case --The only gay guest house in Westminster!

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:51 am

Joni Loves Chachi.

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:50 am

Frogen Popping Fresh wrote:You have just contradicted your self, you claim in the first paragraph life is not rational, but life is what we choose to live, in the second paragraph you give the basis of what makes life important to you, how you choose to live.

Now we can choose to live irrationally, to let life just take us without any will, but your claims that those aspects you have cultivated in your life give it meaning is rational, hence you are choosing a rational basis for life, at least at those times.
Interesting argument. I think you said life was rational on the basis of the stock market doing what was rational not necessarily what people might like.

I am I guess arguing against there being a rationality to everything in life. Even stockmarket movements are in part predicated on emotion. Also life often does not return what you put in on a rational basis. However, I do think that the choices you make can influence your life and happiness.

White Indigene

Post by White Indigene » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Rainbow Moonlight wrote:I am I guess arguing against there being a rationality to everything in life. Even stockmarket movements are in part predicated on emotion. Also life often does not return what you put in on a rational basis. However, I do think that the choices you make can influence your life and happiness.
I bet you are paving the way for Kevin 'the Road Scholar' Rudd. Obviously, on his social sojourn to the US, he has done a bit of a backflip with turnpike, and has come out in support of the Capitalist Pirates of the market. Most of his lovers here would have been up until that moment squarely virulently in denial of any attepmt to ressurect the sacred capital cow.

So, yes, it may be convenient for you to say 'choices you make can influence your life', as I am sure will Rudd will agree. He is the new convert on the highways and byways of fellow travellers, and has even found himself prone to picking up tidbits of real knowledge not from the closet of life, but from the paths.

But I aint fooled.

Rudd-enomics> the new capitalism of Australia. And lets not choose to copy the Green Gulag from across the ditch.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:38 pm

..... and while you've been prattling on, Washington Mutual has collapsed and the first European banks have started looking for bailouts.

I don't think you all are grasping how bad this is. China's the only thing keeping us from disaster here.
"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal

White Indigene

Post by White Indigene » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:18 pm

Mattus wrote:..... and while you've been prattling on, Washington Mutual has collapsed and the first European banks have started looking for bailouts.

I don't think you all are grasping how bad this is. China's the only thing keeping us from disaster here.
I grasp how bad it is, but only in a certain way.

For instance, I see the great southern quarry of China being sent a millitary force to protect the productive capacity of the working masses employed to dig dirt for China.

I saw a bloke going mad on the street over banking problems, and the feelings on the day were palpabley depression like. It was an interesting exploration into the emotions at the time, but I wouldnt wish the realism on just about nobody.

I see the flash point of Sth Asia going of the rails, and launching into a balancing act only the most desperate of nations would embark upon. I see Autocracy and Authritarianism ooozing out of our national TV systems. I see Europe eating itself, and other nations eating other nations, and I see a climate so ferocious, it would be on par with the days of Noah, and similar to the storms weatherd during WW11.

And the swaggies will only have cane toads to eat.

Unless George Bush can save the world :roll:

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:46 pm

Mattus wrote:..... , Washington Mutual has collapsed and the first European banks have started looking for bailouts.

It is definitely serious and neither the Dems nor Republicans are crowning themselves with much glory in the emergency meeting Bush called to get his 700billion package through.

The Fed Secretary is almost literally begging Pelosi to get the Dems to back it quickly but the Republican minority seems oblivious to the need for it, heeding neither their President nor the Fed.

China could buy these bonds as well but right now she is waiting to see what the US does, it is not in her interest to see her largest market collapse. (Perhaps a vindication for Adam Smith's ideas on trade if not market regulation.)

As for the Presidential candidates, McCain is grandstanding and not showing the leadership needed to get the Republicans in line (perhaps because they will not ever come in line) and Obama is playing delay and say little about details (as the crises helps him politically).

I think Mac missed a huge opportunity here, he should have unreservedly backed the Bush-Fed plan, admonished his own party for not doing so (there by giving credit to his change message) and then challenged Obama to push the Dems to stop all the extra demands and pass this, then he should have hit Obama on capital gains tax. Obama's proposal to raise them would be a disaster in a credit crises.

I think Mac has blown this one. I hope it does not cost him the election.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Rainbow Moonlight wrote: Also life often does not return what you put in on a rational basis. .
It is rational to assume it will not and hope it does.

As Keynes said, "in the end we are dead."

It is all so rational.