Debate Oh Eight!

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
AiA in Atlanta

Re: Debate Oh Eight!

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:57 am

Both of them are professing their LOVE for ISRAEL. Jimmy Carter said in the film MAN FROM PLAINS that the Israeli lobby vets all candidates. Clearly these two passed with flying colours.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:20 pm

Indeed they did.

It is called the democracy peace test.

Israel accepted both UN offers in 1949, the Arab world chose war, and has lost ever since.

Rainbow Moonlight

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:04 pm

I decided that must just be one of those American things- the other one was the definition of marriage.

I think Biden won the debate very clearly. I liked him- think he is good apart from the Israel stuff. I quite liked Palin too, but I think she is a better candidate than McCain and Biden kind of showed that. The thing I didn't like about her was that sometimes she didn't seem to know what she was talking about and she used the phrase "soccer mums and six-pack dads"- kind of patronising, like the hockey mums phrase. In her favour I think she is sincere, idealistic and not afraid to act on the basis of her beliefs. But McCain is not revealed as being as keen on change or commonsense as she is.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Cool experience: I listened to the debate on the radio live today as I was driving around Melbourne* then tonight I watched it on ABC1... yes I set my IQ to record the debate, I'm that much of a political nerd.

Anyway... the point is the perspective was completely different. On the radio I was picking up on mistake after mistake. I was swearing at them for avoiding the question and both were telling straight up lies. I haven't trawled the net yet but I imagine the pundits are having a fucking field day over the bullshit they both passed off as fact - what a fucking load: the voting record claims were a pack of lies on both sides. The whole experience was unpleasant.

But then, watching them - the cute mom from alayskah and the sharky career politician from Scranton, I really felt for both of them and agreed with what they said. I wanted to vote them for president dammit, obama mccain be damned. Weird how TV does that. It's like Nixon vs JFK I guess.

What's more remarkable was I just surprised myself by agreeing the eel: Palin was patronizing.... and man was she trying hard. Whereas Joe looked like he just rolls out of bed and eats bitches like Palin for breakfast. I'm not sure which loses more votes though.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the debate. Both are better debaters than their principles (I'm surprised by this, I thought Obama would have the goods in the debate but I think inexperience is hobbling him). Pity there's no more to come.

* Melbourne is just the best fucking city in the world. I'm totally sold on the place. I never thought I'd love anywhere as much as I love Perth, but I'd never go back to WA now. Sitting at Tutto Bene in Southgate looking out over the Yarra today I realized I was privileged to be at home in a foreign city. Melbourne is one of very few truly global cities I have visited, and the first in which I have ever lived. It's no secret I loathed Boston for the most part (go sox) and Melbourne has was Boston lacks in spades...
"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Mattus wrote:* Melbourne is just the best fucking city in the world. I'm totally sold on the place. I never thought I'd love anywhere as much as I love Perth, but I'd never go back to WA now. Sitting at Tutto Bene in Southgate looking out over the Yarra today I realized I was privileged to be at home in a foreign city. Melbourne is one of very few truly global cities I have visited, and the first in which I have ever lived. It's no secret I loathed Boston for the most part (go sox) and Melbourne has was Boston lacks in spades...
I loved Melbourne.

If my wife had not put my balls in a meat grinder and made Frogen carabonera out of them I would still be living there.

Can't speak for bean town, never been there.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:16 pm

Mattus wrote:Cool experience: I listened to the debate on the radio live today as I was driving around Melbourne* then tonight I watched it on ABC1... yes I set my IQ to record the debate, I'm that much of a political nerd.

Anyway... the point is the perspective was completely different. On the radio I was picking up on mistake after mistake. I was swearing at them for avoiding the question and both were telling straight up lies. I haven't trawled the net yet but I imagine the pundits are having a fucking field day over the bullshit they both passed off as fact - what a fucking load: the voting record claims were a pack of lies on both sides. The whole experience was unpleasant.

But then, watching them - the cute mom from alayskah and the sharky career politician from Scranton, I really felt for both of them and agreed with what they said. I wanted to vote them for president dammit, obama mccain be damned. Weird how TV does that. It's like Nixon vs JFK I guess.

What's more remarkable was I just surprised myself by agreeing the eel: Palin was patronizing.... and man was she trying hard. Whereas Joe looked like he just rolls out of bed and eats bitches like Palin for breakfast. I'm not sure which loses more votes though.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the debate. Both are better debaters than their principles (I'm surprised by this, I thought Obama would have the goods in the debate but I think inexperience is hobbling him). Pity there's no more to come.

* Melbourne is just the best fucking city in the world. I'm totally sold on the place. I never thought I'd love anywhere as much as I love Perth, but I'd never go back to WA now. Sitting at Tutto Bene in Southgate looking out over the Yarra today I realized I was privileged to be at home in a foreign city. Melbourne is one of very few truly global cities I have visited, and the first in which I have ever lived. It's no secret I loathed Boston for the most part (go sox) and Melbourne has was Boston lacks in spades...
Once in a life time Mattus fucks up with his English.

A bag of boiled lollies to the Poster who fingers it.

Mattus

Post by Mattus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 am

principal
"I may be the first man to put a testicle in Germaine Greer's mouth"

-Heston Blumenthal

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:45 am

As we are on the subject if I have more than one Elvis do I have Elvi or Elvises or Elvariety?

Hey Doc you done pedestrian lane thing in the middle of the City?

Some of those lanes are packed with resturants and one is so European in feel that I thought I was back in Naples.

Melbourne is one of the great cities, no doubt about it.

I love Federation Square.

One of my other favoratie places is the reading room in the state library, that room is extordinary. So beautiful I could never actually read in there.

(Wormboy once smoke dope in there or so says the legend of wormboy lore.)

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:03 pm

Mattus wrote:principal
Winner!!!!!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Aussie wrote:
Mattus wrote:Cool experience: I listened to the debate on the radio live today as I was driving around Melbourne* then tonight I watched it on ABC1... yes I set my IQ to record the debate, I'm that much of a political nerd.

Once in a life time Mattus fucks up with his English.

A bag of boiled lollies to the Poster who fingers it.
Mattus asserts that Melbourne is the best city for sex in the world. Well, I wouldn't say he "fucks up with his English," but I would argue with the assertion as Aussie women are far to matey to be a good fuck.