2019 Federal Election

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Nicole

Re: 2019 Federal Election

Post by Nicole » Fri May 24, 2019 3:06 pm

The Reboot wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:00 pm
Mistress Nicole wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:07 pm
I love strawberries.
And curry? Bashing minors?
Plus hating on the morcombes and defending paedophiles. Yep.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm

The Reboot wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm
Black Orchid wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:57 pm
The Reboot wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:30 pm
I love Uber.
After today I do too! :rofl
Did you have a bad experience with a taxi driver? Did he scrutinise you with beady piercing blue eyes?
This one had beady brown eyes. NEVER trust beady eyes. They are never to be trusted. My mother likened beady eyes to "two burnt holes in a blanket" and it wasn't a compliment lol.

Outlaw Yogi

Post by Outlaw Yogi » Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 pm

brian ross wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:59 pm
Outlaw Yogi wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:46 pm
Phelps never resigned as a councillor on Sydney Council, so under section 44 of the Australian constitution is not (and was not) eligible to sit in parliament. That means her medical evacuation for refugees/asylum seekers legislation is null in void .. not legal.
No case has been brought against anyone who was a sitting councillor, Yogi, so I am unsure why you believe that.
I believe and know it because section 44 of the Australian constitution specifically states that anyone holding an office under the crown - which a councillor is - is not eligible to sit in parliament.

You know it, we all know it ... not so long ago a Lib MP was queried under section 44 because he had shares in a medical enterprise which received payments from Medicare or Medibank or whatever it is these days.

The fact no-one got around to referring Phelps to the High Court after all the other ineligibles is beside the point. Phelps is a councillor on Sydney Council and the constitution stipulates office bearers under the crown are ineligible.
If Donald Trump is so close to the Ruskis, why couldn't he get Vladimir Putin to put novichok in Xi Jjinping's lipstick?

Outlaw Yogi

Post by Outlaw Yogi » Fri May 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Wally Raffles wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:55 pm
I did not see that result coming. Did anyone else?
If you mean the election result?
Well yes, I saw it coming and stated so numerous times.
Just ask BR and LWS who were adamant Labor was a shoe in, and I said/wrote Labor would lose.

So BR and LWS ... a big fat I told you so :Hi

EDIT ADDITION: The next to lose will be Labor in Qld next year.
If Donald Trump is so close to the Ruskis, why couldn't he get Vladimir Putin to put novichok in Xi Jjinping's lipstick?

Wally Raffles

Post by Wally Raffles » Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Outlaw Yogi wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:33 pm
brian ross wrote:
Outlaw Yogi wrote:
Phelps never resigned as a councillor on Sydney Council, so under section 44 of the Australian constitution is not (and was not) eligible to sit in parliament. That means her medical evacuation for refugees/asylum seekers legislation is null in void .. not legal.
No case has been brought against anyone who was a sitting councillor, Yogi, so I am unsure why you believe that.
I believe and know it because section 44 of the Australian constitution specifically states that anyone holding an office under the crown - which a councillor is - is not eligible to sit in parliament.

You know it, we all know it ... not so long ago a Lib MP was queried under section 44 because he had shares in a medical enterprise which received payments from Medicare or Medibank or whatever it is these days.

The fact no-one got around to referring Phelps to the High Court after all the other ineligibles is beside the point. Phelps is a councillor on Sydney Council and the constitution stipulates office bearers under the crown are ineligible.
I think you are incorrect there. Lambie's replacement was a local Mayor. He was challenged under Section 44 and survived.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Outlaw Yogi wrote:
There's bad blood between Phelps and Clover Moore and apparently Phelps is going to challenge Moore at/or before the next NSW election. I expect all sorts of nastiness to arise.

Outlaw Yogi

Post by Outlaw Yogi » Fri May 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Wally Raffles wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 pm
Outlaw Yogi wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Outlaw Yogi wrote:

I think you are incorrect there. Lambie's replacement was a local Mayor. He was challenged under Section 44 and survived.
Unfuckingbelievible! ... after all the hoo har about a plethora of ineligible MPs being referred to the high court I'm amazed anyone could be ignorant on this issue/topic.

The Mayor (in Taz) you cite could only have survived if he'd resigned as a councillor.
Technically he should have done so prior to nominating as a fed candidate, as was the case with some of the potential duel citizen cases who managed to sneak through despite renouncing their foreign citizenship post nomination.

The difference here is Phelps is and has been a councillor the entire time she sat in Parliament.
If someone bothered to refer her to the high court she would have to pay back everything she earnt as a fed MP.
Judges may be using their discretion to bend rules for some, but the constitution is clear in black and white.

Black Orchid

Post by Black Orchid » Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm

Barnaby Joyce has called on independent NSW MP Kerryn Phelps to drop her bid for re-election after the revelation she has continued to treat patients as a general practitioner.

The NSW Nationals MP claimed Dr Phelps was in breach of section 44 of the Constitution, which holds that individuals are ineligible to sit as MPs if they receive financial benefits under an agreement with the federal government.

“Are your patients claiming Medicare? The answer is ‘yes’,” Mr Joyce told The Australian yesterday.

“Is Medicare from the government? Yes it is.”

“It may be a pain in the neck, but it’s the law.”
So what happened here? Apparently nothing.

Wally Raffles

Post by Wally Raffles » Fri May 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Outlaw Yogi wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 5:05 pm
Wally Raffles wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 4:45 pm
Outlaw Yogi wrote:
brian ross wrote:
Outlaw Yogi wrote:

Unfuckingbelievible! ... after all the hoo har about a plethora of ineligible MPs being referred to the high court I'm amazed anyone could be ignorant on this issue/topic.

The Mayor (in Taz) you cite could only have survived if he'd resigned as a councillor.
Technically he should have done so prior to nominating as a fed candidate, as was the case with some of the potential duel citizen cases who managed to sneak through despite renouncing their foreign citizenship post nomination.

The difference here is Phelps is and has been a councillor the entire time she sat in Parliament.
If someone bothered to refer her to the high court she would have to pay back everything she earnt as a fed MP.
Judges may be using their discretion to bend rules for some, but the constitution is clear in black and white.
The Mayor was still the Mayor when he successfully replaced Lambie. I am pretty certain the Hign Court found him eligible, and he had not resigned as Mayor. Happy to be corrected.

brian ross

Post by brian ross » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 am

Nationalism is not to be confused with patriotism. - Eric Blair