The Magic Kingdom Has No Borders.

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
JW Frogen

The Magic Kingdom Has No Borders.

Post by JW Frogen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Apparently US investors are considering building a Disneyland theme park outside of the 'Green Zone' in Baghdad.

This has been much criticized by the elitist, Leftists, who believe everyone in Iraq must loose but our enemies.

I for one say, Amen!

Or rather A-Allah!

Why shouldn't Iraqi children have some fun and hope? To see what free societies bring? Under Saddam they got posters of Saddam and life time employment fighting wars or killing fellow Iraqis.

Why not show them something different?

And the fact that people are willing to risk investment dollars there reveals just how effective the surge has been to date.

Who could object to the Magic Kingdom replacing Al Qeada terror or Shia-Sunni civil war?

Freedom is not free, but I will be God dammed (or Allah dammed) if I were not the owners or investors of this park of fun and hope and would not give every Iraqi child one free visit.

Saddam demanded they laugh with him, or more often cry with Iraq. Al Qeada demands they laugh with no one, and simply chant praise Osama, oh, and Allah too, and Shia, Sunni and Kurds demand they laugh with only their own kind, why not show them the great, universal laugh of Disney?

This may be the best thing anyone can give them.

freediver

Re: The Magic Kingdom Has No Borders.

Post by freediver » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:22 pm

Yeah, who cares about hospitals or schools when you can send your children to an American theme park? The Americans care far more about exporting their own brand of capitalism than freedom or democracy. I hope no-one dies trying to defend this little stunt.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Thu May 01, 2008 11:38 am

They are not exclusionary ideas, building hospitals and schools and bringing children hope and fun.

In fact, they are symbotic.

Disney, which is privately funded, is the main economic engine for South Florida, creating jobs, economic growth, and the tax base needed to build schools and hospitals.

But never underestimate the transformative power of fun, hope and dreams in a young child’s life.

freediver

Post by freediver » Thu May 01, 2008 2:33 pm

So this thing won't be subsidised at all?

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Thu May 01, 2008 11:03 pm

When the Disney park opened in France some years ago there was controversy surrounding the prohibition of employees wearing beards. At Disney Iraq even Cinderella will have a beard ...

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri May 02, 2008 11:22 am

LOL!

I am going to steal that gag AIA.

boxy

Post by boxy » Sat May 03, 2008 3:27 am

Oh excellent... I'm sure that's just what the Iraqi kiddies need, to pay top dollar (greenbacks) to US multinationals in exchange for the American version of "fun, hope and dreams" (and what a fucking shallow version that is).

Perhaps the legless and armless tots will even get a discount (good PR y'know).
"But you will run your fluffy bunny mouth at me. And I will take it, to play poker."

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sat May 03, 2008 12:14 pm

Economics being what it is they would pay in relation to prices and with local currency, that is how it is done at Disney Japan and Paris.

Still, with the falling dollar if the democratic Iraq government could get a handle on your beloved “freedom fighters” and stop them from slaughtering, attacking oil pipe lines Iraq could enjoy the same boom times other petro-states are enjoying.

But to the larger point. After years of reading your posts Boxy I understand that concepts such as imagination, hope, joy and fun are perhaps as alien to you as a pork roast on Ramadan.

But to most children, they are life and breath itself. This why Disney translates so well globally, it understands that Jungian archtype of children everywhere, before they become cynical and are consumed by their paticular cultural bias, political obessions, and the general self serious, world weary misery that is cultivated by most non drinking adults. The promotion of imagination, wish’s, optimism, adventure and fun, and then literally manifesting it in the parks, showing kids what can come true, if they hope, have fun, and believe, is one of the universal instincts of children all over the world.

Now I know our racist friends on the far Left do not think Iraqi children deserve this, that they would perennially rather be trapped in Saddam land, bringing the great one flowers on his birthday and waiting for puberty, so they can either be raped by his sons or sent of to his next war, all so you can listen to Bob Dylan and tell yourselves from the comfort of Western democracy you weally, weally, weally love peace, but some of us think Iraqi children deserve better.

And I hope some day Disney gets give them something better.

freediver

Post by freediver » Mon May 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Children don't need Disney to foster their imagination. Disney is a parasite on childrens' imagination.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Mon May 05, 2008 11:56 pm

freediver wrote:Children don't need Disney to foster their imagination. Disney is a parasite on childrens' imagination.
Clearly you have never taken a child to Disney.