The third presidential debate

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Rainbow Moonlight

The third presidential debate

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:33 pm

I think McCain showed a lot better than in the previous two, but still think Obama won.

McCain looked better on the surface on the economy than he did last time around. Although it became fairly apparent that despite his claim for a spending freeze he wanted to spend more money on needy programs but didn't went to raise more income to pay for it.

Interesting that the Bush government's (apparent) support of big oil, weapons manufacturers and corporate interest did not come up this time as it did in the last debate. Or at least not as directly, just through references to MCCain's intent to provide billion dollar tax cuts to oil companies etc.

I think they were much more even on the economy than last time around, although I think Obama showed more concern for the working class, middle class and the poor during the discussion. However we all saw the previous debate too and saw hoe MCCain did on the things not mentioned this time.

I liked MCCain saying he was not Bush, but I don't think he differentiated himself enough, particularly on the issue of supporting corporate interest. His references to his record were string, but not sufficient to suggest his priorities in that area are any different from what Bush's were.

I think MCCain also lost on health care and education.

BIG win for Obama on which secondary would be a good president- much easier to argue Biden than Palin though. And MCCain didn't even try. I think Palin turned into a deficit tonight, particularly because of the Ayers stuff which has been very negative.

Interested in your views Mattus and Frogen- and anyone else's too.