The 'Higgins' Trial

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Aussie

Re: The 'Higgins' Trial

Post by Aussie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:21 am

UnSubRocky wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:00 am
There are ministers who have been named as witnesses for the trial? How on Earth can they be credible witnesses to what went on, unless they were present at the time just before, during or after the rape. What is alleged is that Higgins made covert recordings with Parliamentary staffers and an interview with Wilkinson before Higgins made a complaint to the police.

Higgins' credibility is hanging by a thread.
I have never read of that. She did record her conversation with at least one of the Ministers.

I don't know how that impugns her credibility.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:04 pm

UnSubRocky wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:00 am
There are ministers who have been named as witnesses for the trial? How on Earth can they be credible witnesses to what went on, unless they were present at the time just before, during or after the rape. What is alleged is that Higgins made covert recordings with Parliamentary staffers and an interview with Wilkinson before Higgins made a complaint to the police.

Higgins' credibility is hanging by a thread.

You are almost right.
Ms Higgins also recorded a conversation with Senator Cash’s former chief of staff Daniel Try without his knowledge.

Defence lawyer Steven Whybrow put to Ms Higgins that she had sent the recordings to multiple people, including journalists, to begin backgrounding for the story.
One staffer.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:10 am

Now I read the accused claims to have not slept with Higgins on the night.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:52 am

UnSubRocky wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:10 am
He says that he never put it in.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:38 pm

Bobby wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:52 am
UnSubRocky wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:10 am
He says that he never put it in.
No...he denies all sexual activity.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:54 pm

The more I read of this case, the more I find Higgins to lack credibility. When you get raped, even if you are blackout drunk, the first thing you do when you can is report it to police so that they can do a sexual assault test. None of this "umming" and "ahhing" for a long time after the fact and then secretly record a member of Parliament in a bid to blackmail an investigation into this alleged rape.

If the accused sticks to his story that he did not have sex with Higgins, he should win this case, quite easily.

Redneck

Post by Redneck » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:18 pm

UnSubRocky wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:54 pm
The more I read of this case, the more I find Higgins to lack credibility. When you get raped, even if you are blackout drunk, the first thing you do when you can is report it to police so that they can do a sexual assault test. None of this "umming" and "ahhing" for a long time after the fact and then secretly record a member of Parliament in a bid to blackmail an investigation into this alleged rape.

If the accused sticks to his story that he did not have sex with Higgins, he should win this case, quite easily.
I tend to agree!!

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:25 pm

UnSubRocky wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:54 pm

You are ignoring all the other circumstances including that the accused had power over her career, and that she was in a political whirlwind as well.

Even in ordinary 'rapes' (if there is such a thing,) a complainant does not immediately head to the Cop Shop. There is normally always a period in between the alleged rape and a reporting of the event to either family or friends etc and then a visit to the cop shop.

But......the circumstances of this matter take it way out of what might be considered normal, and I am loathe to even use that word as each victim of these sort of events is an individual and can react to it in ways which is tolerable or bearable or manageable to them, and not 'you.' There is no one size fits all.

Higgins wakes up naked and in Parliament House....in a Minister's Suite. All sorts of emotions must then have been experienced, and all sorts of "what do I do now" would have been in her head....including....what the fuq just happened to me and how the fuq do I handle this now, given who he is and who I am.

It is a mistake to impose your Monday quarterback 20/20 vision and expectations on her. Walk in her shoes....if you can.

Why do a great deal of women who are raped not even report the rape? All sorts of reasons, so....why was there a delay.....equally.....all sorts of reasons, and none compel a conclusion that the rape never happened.

Having said all that, there is still much water yet to pass under the judicial bridge, and I am keenly interested to hear all about the documents he was supposed to collect, and to see whether he gives evidence....ie....is willing to have himself cross-examined by a hostile skilled interrogator in open Court, on oath.

UnSubRocky

Post by UnSubRocky » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm

What sort of power he has over Higgins? The kind that could be taken away by legal or illegal means. Nobody is untouchable to the laws of the country. And I have known of rape cases that go unpunished because the rapist does have power over the victim. However, given the amount of misandry going on in the country, a rape allegation would have weight in the favour of the victim if she went to the police as soon as she was sober enough to do so.

What the hell changed in the years between the incident and the complainant making a complaint? It seems like someone with an extended period of time between incident and complaint must have had some sort of strategy formulated to blackmail the government.

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:39 pm

UnSubRocky wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:04 pm
What sort of power he has over Higgins? The kind that could be taken away by legal or illegal means. Nobody is untouchable to the laws of the country. And I have known of rape cases that go unpunished because the rapist does have power over the victim. However, given the amount of misandry going on in the country, a rape allegation would have weight in the favour of the victim if she went to the police as soon as she was sober enough to do so.

What the hell changed in the years between the incident and the complainant making a complaint? It seems like someone with an extended period of time between incident and complaint must have had some sort of strategy formulated to blackmail the government.
Her own description.

Link.