Should we have settled some of the Gitmo inmates

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
Hebe

Re: Should we have settled some of the Gitmo inmates

Post by Hebe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 am

How many of you went in to bat for the fundamental rights of David Hicks when he was locked away inside a dark hole?
I did. Consistently.
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:02 pm

The Right always said Hicks was our hero. Wrong, of course.

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:39 pm

Hebe wrote:
How many of you went in to bat for the fundamental rights of David Hicks when he was locked away inside a dark hole?
I did. Consistently.
As did I hebe..it was a shabby way to treat another Aussie. A dark time (one of many) in Howards reign. He used human beings as Political pawns.

skippy

Post by skippy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:48 pm

Hebe wrote:
I did. Consistently.
So did I.

I also agree with frogen ,IF these people are to be released without charge why were they being held at all? surely after six years they could have been assessed before now.

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:30 pm

skippy wrote:
Hebe wrote:
I did. Consistently.
So did I.

I also agree with frogen ,IF these people are to be released without charge why were they being held at all? surely after six years they could have been assessed before now.
and not forgetting skippy that its quite possible, given the American system of justice unique to Guantamos prisoners, that half of them were most likely innocent and served time and torturous practice for nothing at all.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:30 pm

cynik wrote: Frogen's comment is spot on, but even he was cheering the need to suspend the law in order to tackle the vast threat to humanity at the time.

All right, so 10 beers latter I already break my promise, but I argue this was posted before I made the promise, so is not covered by the subject contract.

See this is what I am talking about concerning cynik. Because I often defend the US, he has an emotive need to think I always defend the US.

Because I often try to understand or articulate the other point of view, in this case Bush’s motivations, rather than just childishly turn him into a comic book villain, cynik thinks I always agree with Bush.

Because PA was overwhelming to the Left so the Right needed a hearing and I often played devils advocate, usually identifying when I am, cynik states I am the devil.

I was one of the first and early critcs of Guantanamo. This does not mean however I do not want to understand what benefits have come from the policy or why those who instituted it did so.I don’t need comic book villains, I want understanding.

Try it cynik, you might like it.

Notice the date of this post from the original PA, June 13 2003.

http://www2b.abc.net.au/triplej/electio ... /archive2/

J Frogen ® 13/06/2003 10:59:46 PM

Subject: re: The British Empire Was A Moral Good post id: 44618

***************************************************************************************************
"I agree about Guantanamo, it is a betrayal of both the British legacy and American ideals, I believe it is a temporary one, much like the American internment of Japanese Americans during World War two, but wrong none the less."

And don’t even start me linking about where I stated Rumsfeld’s strategy may result in an insurgency, that more troops were needed, in, you guessed it, 2003.

I was the only person other than Animal Mother who stated on PA in 2004, 05, 06 and early 07 that a troop surge could turn Iraq around, while everyone else was crying, “all is lost.”

If only Bush had asked his White House staff "find out what sort of beer this Frogen drinks and give it to the rest of my generals."

mantra.

Post by mantra. » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:25 pm

All right, so 10 beers latter I already break my promise, but I argue this was posted before I made the promise, so is not covered by the subject contract.
I always break my vows about never returning to forums Frogen. After I've stomped off, cooled down and start getting bored again - I return. I don't think promises mean a great deal on forums - no-one holds anyone to their word (usually).
And don’t even start me linking about where I stated Rumsfeld’s strategy may result in an insurgency, that more troops were needed, in, you guessed it, 2003.
I couldn't really find any information to the detriment of the troop surge - apart from lives lost and deeper financial implications, but I suppose that's irrelevant in war and strategy is everything.

The surge might have tightened up security somewhat - but the place is still a minefield of terror and uncertainty. We just haven't seen a great deal in the media about the number of deaths that are still occurring.

Didn't a deaf Iraqi female reporter get shot through the chest a couple of days ago by some marines? She couldn't hear them calling out to her - so they shot her. She was only young and had been married a week. I certainly wouldn't feel more secure if I was a resident.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Even Obama has belatedly recognised the surge has worked. Stating it has "worked beyond our wildest dreams."

The evidence is there for anyone who wants to see it. This is why Obama has kept Gates, Bush's appointment on at Defense, because one does not fuck with what is working.

He opposed it, but can still dream of Iraqi freedom, even if it was a wild dream in his case.

You can not even dream of it, let alone recognise it.

What do you have to offer Iraqis but tryanny or self indulgent despair?

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:05 am

Hebe wrote:
I did. Consistently.
Indeed Hebe did.

She had plenty of free time.

I mean who goes to libraries these days other than the homeless or helpless.

And kids suckered into a faux Wiggles or Harry Potter event.

Hebe

Post by Hebe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:41 am

And kids suckered into a faux Wiggles or Harry Potter event.
I don't work in that part f the library, thank God.
I mean who goes to libraries these days other than the homeless or helpless.
The genealogists. :(
The better I get to know people, the more I find myself loving dogs.