End of the mining boom

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
White Indigene

Re: End of the mining boom

Post by White Indigene » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 pm

mantra wrote:We're not likely to run out of minerals anytime soon, but China have been stockpiling and to get them through this difficult period are relying on what they already have. Their manufactured exports from our minerals have also nosedived, but this also will leave the way open for them in the future to bargain for far better prices.

What concerns me with the 40% downturn in exports is what will happen to all these unemployed people - in particular those who Howard brought in from overseas. I think they're entitled to permanent residency, so to make a quick buck, there will be a lot of black market dealing going on. How will Australia support another half million people or so on welfare? Already through losses in the stockmarket those applying for the aged pension have been increasing by 3-4,000 every month, not taking into consideration those who are losing or about to lose their jobs.

We're going to be in for a very hard time over the next few years. There will be few jobs guaranteed.
Yes thats true it seems. And frogen has the other bit sussed. Less jobs, more unemployed, more BBGen demanding welfare, and Unions Inc on a wage increase activity. There is only one outcome I can think of here.

Out of curisosity, has anyone got the figures of age brackets in Union Inc. I bet, without even looking, who is the most represented in these stats. Imagine this strang co-incidence of facts culminating in a recession period. I wonder what it could all mean -demographicly that is.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 pm

Look the figures up!

White Indigene

Post by White Indigene » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Im sure that would be next to impossible.

At any rate, all that would be availabel would be random ones, or concoted ones, or mismatched data made look pretty for the cause at ABS.

Not attacking the ABS, because I know their stuff to be quite reasonable, even usefull.

But on the Unions?> Naaah. Not in our lifetime.

And one things for sure, it would be one hell of a shit fight to get any truth from Unions Inc on the stats. One could even pay with ones life or wellbeing. I know the ACTU keeps a massive hate databse on people it dont like, but that doesnt mean it deliberalty allow reasonable statistics to fall in to the hands of the free and fair people of the repub...., um Nation.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:49 pm

Oh BS!

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm

Unions cover about 19% of Australian private-sector workers. ACTU has little influence these days.

Most workers in unions would be building and manufacturing (cars, mainly) so would be more middle aged, often with English as second language.

Building is more a young person's game, esp commercial construction.

Not rocket science if you THINK WI! You are just sprouting the Lieberal party line. THINK!

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Oh well for what s it worth another 1200 man camp is going ahead..heard from my sister in Pt Hedland an hour ago. These camps would not be going up..(comissioned by companies after all ) if things were so dire right now.

House prices and rents stable and steadily rising as we speak. Its confusing.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 am

Well, these things planned years ahead. Iron ore prices will head downwards tho, but they may have contracts to deliver on.

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:40 am

From todays OO:

"The Australian mining industry yesterday announced plans to cut 570 jobs across three states with Rio Tinto shelving nearly $900 million of planned expansions.

"Swiss-based mining giant Xstrata said it would cut another 89 contractors and 60 employees at its Mt Isa zinc operation in response to the world financial crisis.

"Further job losses will come from Rio's decision to cancel a copper mine expansion in NSW and the closure by OZ Minerals of zinc mines in Queensland and Western Australia."

Jovial Monk

Post by Jovial Monk » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:27 pm

From ABC news 3 hrs ago.

Member for Pilbarra not happy with BHP's plans to build 1200 man FIFO camp to expand it's workforce in the Pilbarra over the next two years. He wants to see permanent housing.

FIFO (fly in/fly out) workers must be among the most expensive to employ when you have to fly most of them up from Perth and then home again on a regular basis.

Curiouser and curiouser.
Rio Tinto to suspend operations at the Argyle diamond in WA mine and slow expansion plans.

Come to think of it, I have heard rumours over the last six months that Rio is going ahead with a workers camp in Gladstone. If it is, the contract to build it - like the decision to buy Alcan - was made before the financial shock.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/bu ... 00,00.html