Heigh-Ho! 2008 USA Election Thread

Australian Federal, State and Local Politics
Forum rules
Don't poop in these threads. This isn't Europe, okay? There are rules here!
AiA in Atlanta

Heigh-Ho! 2008 USA Election Thread

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:30 am

Dear God,

We hate John McCain, but we hate Barack Obama more. Please answer our prayer and let McCain choose Huckabee as his running mate. Then after they win the election, you can take McCain home Lord.

We want to do your bidding and the only way we can Father, is if we can load the Supreme Court with your devout followers.

Amen,

The Religious Right

Rainbow Moonlight

Re: Heigh-Ho! 2008 USA Election Thread

Post by Rainbow Moonlight » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:46 am

Interesting to see Clinton trying now to help Obama garner her votes. I don't know how successful she will be. But I think i heard a one line comment about McCain doing badly.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 pm

Voting from hate is idiocy.

Fortunately I for one can vote from conviction, complete conviction for the first time since I have been voting.

There is no doubt in my mind who the best man is in this election.

McCain has never left his fellow long-term friends in hurry, (as Obama did the Rev Wright, in far less difficult circumstances, after claiming he could not).

Mac never left his comrades at all, despite having the opportunity.

And he endured years of torture for the decision. The North Vietnamese offered to let him go, but he said no, unless your release everyone in this camp!

Obama left his "grandfather" the Rev Wright after a few weeks of political heat. After saying he could never do so just a few weeks before. Obama threw his white grand mother under a political bus for crass political opportunity in what was one of the most racists acts of political opportunism since Wallace.

Yet Obama betrayed these people not years after years of torture, as Mac endured without betraying anyone, but just to be the "transcendent" President, the one he has been waiting for.

Nor did Mac leave the Bangladeshi child he adopted, and spent tens of thousands of dollars saving in operations. The one now attending Uni, the one who would have died had it not been for Mac. The one Mac will not allow to be exploited for election purposes.

Unlike Obama who betrays his spiritual mentor of 20 years and his own white grandmother.

When Mac was almost alone calling for the Surge, against both the Administration and the Defeatocrats, he knew his son had decided to join the Marines, he knew his son would go to Iraq if there was a surge, still Mac never used his son as a political point, never let anyone know it, even though his family was putting their lives where their convictions are. (Something forum habituates have trouble understanding. Hello Cyink.)

In addition, Mac has called for town hall debates, something the “transcendent" Obama seems afraid of. Obama is afraid of talking off script. Mac wants a conversation with the American people, rather than preach Opera like platitudes to them.

And then look how quickly Obama abandoned his crusade of public finance reform, and public finiancing for elections once he found he could raise money privately, that change took all of ten minutes.

Obama’s entire Senate voting record reveals a man who will never be present when the vote can hurt his political ambitions, when the vote is tough he will not show up.

He voted the party line more than any other Democratic Senator, and never voted on contentious issues.

Unlike Mac, who takes on his own party all the time.

Therefore, I have to wonder who I want to be President?.

A man who stands by his convictions, indeed risks his very life for his country, like Mac?

Alternatively, Obama, who seems to say the word change a lot, because he always changes in a hurry?

This entire election is not about ideology, it is about Ecco Homo. (Behold The Man)

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:33 pm

I would not vote for Obama. He has a flash nouth, just as I would never have voted for "I have a dream."

Being good at oratory does equal being able to run the USA .

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:53 pm

AiA in Atlanta wrote:Dear God,

We hate John McCain, but we hate Barack Obama more. Please answer our prayer and let McCain choose Huckabee as his running mate. Then after they win the election, you can take McCain home Lord.

We want to do your bidding and the only way we can Father, is if we can load the Supreme Court with your devout followers.

Amen,

The Religious Right

The thing is here Obama is being quite clever, he is using his regular (if racist Reverend) church participation and saying he will expand Bush’s faith based initiatives, funding for social programs from churches, in an attempt to pull the Christian Right away from a Mac who has never been particularly fond of the the Christian Right.

Mac practices charity, he does not preach it.

Obama uses charity to preach political power.

I will say it again and again, this is one of the few elections not about ideology, but rather "behold the man."

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:51 pm

JW Frogen wrote:
AiA in Atlanta wrote:Dear God,

Amen,

The Religious Right

The thing is here Obama is being quite clever, he is using his regular (if racist Reverend) church participation and saying he will expand Bush’s faith based initiatives, funding for social programs from churches, in an attempt to pull the Christian Right away from a Mac who has never been particularly fond of the the Christian Right.

Mac practices charity, he does not preach it.

Obama uses charity to preach political power.

I will say it again and again, this is one of the few elections not about ideology, but rather "behold the man."
There isn't a chance in hell Obama will pull the elite of the Christian Right away from McCain. This is a bitter, bitter election for the Evangelicals who are being forced to vote for a man they despise.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:07 pm

I would not underestimate Obama’s ability to be all things to all people, and nothing to any real principal.

AiA in Atlanta

Post by AiA in Atlanta » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:29 am

Curious. On past incarnations of PA, the USA Election Thread was always the most popular (that is, until the election). Why no interest this year?

Interactive electoral map (more fun than solitare): http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... .htmlstory

Auzgurl

Post by Auzgurl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:13 am

url
JW Frogen wrote:I would not underestimate Obama’s ability to be all things to all people, and nothing to any real principal.

Yes but only for as long as it takes pple to realize he has little substance...thereby losing credibility somewhat as Rudd has done.

Obama is all "warm and fuzzy" rhetoric..this has little to do with the real world.

Him and Rudd ?..both masters of rhetoric.

JW Frogen

Post by JW Frogen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Dick Morris has some interesting reflections on the race. Apparently Obama is not picking up women voters over the age of 40 (a natural constituency of the Dems) and Mac is polling well with them due to his mavarak independent image. Compounding the problem is the still lingering bitterness in the Clinton camp and the indifference of Obama to her since he got the delegate count. There is talk she may rock the Convention if he does not start kissing her ass.

Morris thinks McCain should choose a woman VP, say Hutchenson, and this will shore up this demographic in his camp.